Or is the intro to master of puppets tricky to play? I mean the very into, (ex.dun... dun, dun, dun, then the alternate picking stuff then repeat again). I had to use the guitar pro speed trainer and it took me a couple days to learn. Now I can get it up to full speed and not play sloppily. Finally!! I think mastering this riff has helped me with my picking etc. Anyone else think it is a kind of a tricky riff because of the fast alternate picking (fast for me anyways). Also, name some riffs that you think are tricky to learn because of the picking etc.
Be cool.
first thing i ever learned properly. it was easy peasy. but then everyone has different skill elvels and different strengths and weaknesses so don't worry if it seems hard to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
its just you ..lol
or i dont have a problem with even the whole song
XD
but i do have to agree with storm bringer
getting teh alt. picking part was really trivcky for me, still kinda screws me up sometimes, but just down picking or not alt. picking teh whole thing doesn't give me very much trouble
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
master of puppets is supposed to be played almost entirely with downstrokes
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Quote by ChaoticVengence
getting teh alt. picking part was really trivcky for me, still kinda screws me up sometimes, but just down picking or not alt. picking teh whole thing doesn't give me very much trouble

Yeah, thats what I was having trouble with. But to the guy who posted below you...Are you serious??? Dang. I didn't know that. That would of made things a lot easier. I was alternate picking the whole thing.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Or is the intro to master of puppets tricky to play? I mean the very into, (ex.dun... dun, dun, dun, then the alternate picking stuff then repeat again). I had to use the guitar pro speed trainer and it took me a couple days to learn. Now I can get it up to full speed and not play sloppily. Finally!! I think mastering this riff has helped me with my picking etc. Anyone else think it is a kind of a tricky riff because of the fast alternate picking (fast for me anyways). Also, name some riffs that you think are tricky to learn because of the picking etc.

its not alternate picking, its entirely downpicking. just to let you know
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
its not alternate picking, its entirely downpicking. just to let you know

Oh, crap!! I didn't know that. Dang, then that really is an easy riff!! I just made it a lot harder because I alt picked the whole thing. Oh well, at least I improved my picking.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Oh, crap!! I didn't know that. Dang, then that really is an easy riff!! I just made it a lot harder because I alt picked the whole thing. Oh well, at least I improved my picking.

lol yeah, i tried to alternate pick it too when i first learned. playing it with all downpicking increases the bad-assery ten fold, though

oh btw, good job at learning it at least. i thought that riff was insanely hard when i first learned, downpicking or alternate. it pissed me off... lol
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Last edited by Shredder Guitar at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by Shredder Guitar
lol yeah, i tried to alternate pick it too when i first learned. playing it with all downpicking increases the bad-assery ten fold, though

oh btw, good job at learning it at least. i thought that riff was insanely hard when i first learned, downpicking or alternate. it pissed me off... lol

Be cool.
Alt picking is much easier than downpicking IMO, cause you can get 2 notes in one up and down swipe.
depends on the situation of the notes

----------
--7------

easier to down pick
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Wylde_Man
Alt picking is much easier than downpicking IMO, cause you can get 2 notes in one up and down swipe.

Yeah, I tried down picking the riff now, and I find alt picking is much easier. Although I was watching a "How to Play Master of Puppets" video with Kirk Hammett on YouTube and it sounds better down picking.
Be cool.
You do realize that the majority of that song (excluding solos) is down picked, right? It sounds like ass if you play it while alt. picking.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
You do realize that the majority of that song (excluding solos) is down picked, right? It sounds like ass if you play it while alt. picking.

A little late....I've been told that already.
Be cool.
Alt picking this song makes it easier for me. The downstrokes adds a little bit of strain, but not anything hard.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
That riff can be kind of a butthole to get to sound right at first. Just keep working at it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
heres a song with tricky picking....concerto by cacophony. have fun. it took me about 14-20 hours to get most of it all down.
I play the intro and verse with downpicking and the spider riff, alternate picking. It sounds just as all the whole thing with downpicking. After that, songs like Blackened and Creeping Death become a piece of cake.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I play the intro and verse with downpicking and the spider riff, alternate picking. It sounds just as all the whole thing with downpicking. After that, songs like Blackened and Creeping Death become a piece of cake.

ermkay, I have a question: what is it that everyone refers to as the spider riff? Ive been learning the song bit by bit and never heard of it till now :/
i cant play alt on the intro , i play all downstrokes . for those guys who haven got it yet , start slow , and build up speed . but remember to play it clear not like a sloppy dick .
Its pretty fun when you get it down, but I must admit the biggest problem I have is I sometimes miss the "A" string and muffle the notes with my left hand. Got to build up that pinky a bit more.
Quote by doctor woot
ermkay, I have a question: what is it that everyone refers to as the spider riff? Ive been learning the song bit by bit and never heard of it till now :/

the bit played one the E and A strings...

----2-----3-----4--------
0-1--0-1--0-1--------

And so on...
i just downpick the whole thing :P
just one question , is the spider riff down or alt?
Quote by Popsai
i just downpick the whole thing :P
just one question , is the spider riff down or alt?

I think most of it is just down picking. But imo alt is a lot easier than just down picking. But i always economy pick, its just natural to me now, but i hope that doesn't lead to bad habits that i'm not aware of.
I down pick it. Its MoP thats how its supposed to be played. Though i guess alt picking it wouldn tbe bad
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by StiltonCheese

0-1--0-1--0-1--------

And so on...

Exactly, and the name "spider" come from the shape of your fretting hand when playing that riff.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
yes, the main verse riff of Raining Blood by Slayer is also popularly known as a "spider riff."
Quote by Gunpowder
Quote by StiltonCheese

0-1--0-1--0-1--------

And so on...

IT isn't so!!!

spider riff was invented by dave mustaine......it goes like this......

---9---------9--7-------5--------5--3------
---7---10---7--5-------3---6---3--1------
---------8--------------------4--------------

etc etc.........
Yeah, spider riffing is alternating powerchords using your 1st + 3rd finger and 2nd + 4th finger. Hard to get down at first, but it's awesome if you do.