Poll: Which one of these fits accordingly?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one of these fits accordingly?
Good Topic
2 40%
Bad Topic
2 40%
Understood and had enough info.
3 60%
Needs more info
2 40%
Perfectly Fine questions and detailed info.
3 60%
Voters: 5.
Ok it's time for me to upgrade, the sound I'm getting just is not enough, the frets have buzz here and there, and it's to hard to do any bending with them.

I have an Ibanez GIO GSA 60.

it's has just your basic pick ups on it, nothing special.

I'm trying to have the same sound out of my guitar that you would hear from that of As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, well basically your metal groups.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that I'll need a Pair of Emg pick ups like the 85/81 set or a custom set up of maybe an Emg 89 and an Emg 85 if that would work and sound better.

I streching out on a limb on this one but I'm not sure if I need a new neck and bridge or just a new neck?

I already know I need a new bridge because I have a floating tremolo bridge and that I think is causing most of my fret buzz. but I don't know if the neck has anything to do with why it's so much harder to do bending on my guitar than a better quality guitar that I played around on at the store. It had a different bridge on it.

I'm just a simple artist trying to get a band together and get the music and the lyrics from my heart out there so that I can hopefully reachout to people and help them through some of the hard times we all go through, but I'm stuck because of my equipment problems, and no official band members yet.

- Mark D. Stephens, AKA, Only4givenOnce

Ps. I know I need a new amp as well, but I already know what to get, because I was able to check that all out, and I just bought the latest BOSS Metal Core Distortion Pedal, which I give a 5 star rating, it's worth the money.
$115.00

Thanks for your time,,,,, please help!!!!!!! Take Care.
The bridge wouldnt be the problem, its most likely the necks warped our the frets are uneven. So if you just want to upgrade your current guitar(instead of buying new) then I'd take it a Guitar Center and get them to set it up for like $20 or something, it should get rid of the buzz. For a metal sound the 81 - 85 set is pretty tried and true so it'd be a good choice.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
well I've been told that that bridge needs to go because it also buzzes, I forgot to add that info so I'll go fix that...lol

umm anyway yeah when ever I have the tremolo bar in the guitar you hear it rattle while I'm playing or I just move the guitar, because it's just the kind you just slip in and out of the hole, and the floating bridge is causing a problem with the tension of the strings, because it moves while I'm playing and it's been doing that sense I got the guitar, I had some people at the place I got it and the told me what some of my problems are being caused by.

I don't need a tremolo bar set up on this guitar so I have no problem getting a bridge put in with out one if I have too.

I play mainly in dropped C and C# tuning.

I will eventally set a guitar up with a floyd rose set up so I'll have one guitar in standard tuning, and save my strings life.

- yeah I was checking out that 81/85 set up , it's the Zakk Wylde set up...lol who ever he is!! hahaha.

any body know the differences in the 81,85 and the 89??

as far as I know the 81 I think was good for the lows.

I looked them up on musiciansfriend.com
I wouldn't bother upgrading a GIO series - save your money and get an Ibanez RG, Schecter C1 or similar.

But if you really insist on changing your pickups, EMGs aren't necessarily the way to go - loads of metal guitarists still use conventional passive pickups! I'd personally go for a hot-wound pickup with a ceramic magnet: good examples include the SD 'Dimebucker' / 'Duncan Distortion', the DiMarzio 'Evolution'/'X2N', or the Bareknuckle 'Nailbomb'/ 'Warpig', amongst others...
yeah thats what I was thinking, just buying a new guitar and use it for my songs in dropped tuning. then I was going to just fix my gio up to the point that it's fine for standard tuning things. I'd have a floyd rose put on it and what ever I might need done.

dimarzio's was the other pick up's I was checking out!!!

yeah I'm still looking at guitars, I like the RG, among others.

well ttyl thanks.
yeah thats what I thought, thats it not worth upgrading..

but I do need more than one guitar, it plays fine as it is but, it's not what I'm looking for.
Forget upgrading your guitar, you need a new amp. No sort of pedal will get you close to the tone you're aiming for.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Here is what you could do to improve your tone and playability, in order of importance:

1: Buy a new amp. Peavey 5150/6505 and valveking are good choices for a tube amp, Vox AC30 if you want a modeling. I would avoid solid states, unless you can find a very good one for very cheap

2: Buy a new guitar: Dont bother fixing up the GIO, just sell it on ebay and use the money to buy a new one. Don't worry about keeping an extra for Drop D tuning, its easy enough to tune on the run. Only time you need 2 seperate guitars in different tunings is when your performing, which I'm assuming that your not. I recommend getting an RG series(Ibanez) , especially RG1570, if your willing to pay 750$ for a guitar that will satisfy you unendingly.

3: Buy new pickups: Although Ibanez RG's come with some pretty wicked PU's, buying brand name PU's is still a better choice for tone. If your thinking active, then 81/85 will work great. If you dont want the hassle with the batteries, then I recommend a Duncan Custom in the bridge, a Duncan Pearly Gates in the Neck. I own a custom, and I can tell you, their great for what your looking for. The pearly gates will give you versatility with your cleans and classic rock.

4: Buy new strings. Believe it or not, the quality of your strings have a modest impact on your tone. I recommend pure nickel. Talk to Forsakn, he has a link in his signature to a great online vendor of pure nickel strings.

I hope this will help you in your decision making process. If have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Quote by JeysisKrist
Here is what you could do to improve your tone and playability, in order of importance:

1: Buy a new amp. Peavey 5150/6505 and valveking are good choices for a tube amp, Vox AC30 if you want a modeling. I would avoid solid states, unless you can find a very good one for very cheap

2: Buy a new guitar: Dont bother fixing up the GIO, just sell it on ebay and use the money to buy a new one. Don't worry about keeping an extra for Drop D tuning, its easy enough to tune on the run. Only time you need 2 seperate guitars in different tunings is when your performing, which I'm assuming that your not. I recommend getting an RG series(Ibanez) , especially RG1570, if your willing to pay 750$ for a guitar that will satisfy you unendingly.

3: Buy new pickups: Although Ibanez RG's come with some pretty wicked PU's, buying brand name PU's is still a better choice for tone. If your thinking active, then 81/85 will work great. If you dont want the hassle with the batteries, then I recommend a Duncan Custom in the bridge, a Duncan Pearly Gates in the Neck. I own a custom, and I can tell you, their great for what your looking for. The pearly gates will give you versatility with your cleans and classic rock.

4: Buy new strings. Believe it or not, the quality of your strings have a modest impact on your tone. I recommend pure nickel. Talk to Forsakn, he has a link in his signature to a great online vendor of pure nickel strings.

I hope this will help you in your decision making process. If have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Your thing about amps is rubbish. An AC30 is a valve amp and is very different to the few you suggested. Have you ever even tried those amps?

To TS: as for amps you cold ask in the guitar gear and accesories forum just above this one.
Last edited by supergerbil at Nov 2, 2007,