Yeah , I'm looking into getting a tube amp, and a distortion pedal
I don't exactly know which of either I want, But my moms telling me to do up a christmas list, so it's my birthday present+ christmas present all in one
so she said maybe an amp and a pedal

Suggest away.
Cancer.
with a tube amp, most people wouldn't want a distortion pedal, instead an overdrive pedal usually suffices to add a little onto the natural tone of the amp. distortion pedals tend to color and mask the natural sound of an amp, though i have to admit they sound better through some tube amps than other solid states.

what type of music do you play? and what's the budget?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
It depends what you wanna play.

I'd recommend looking into Traynors, mostly cause they're cheap in Canada.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
price range is probabally about 500....For the amp, you can suggest things up to $1000, cuz I may just buy it myself.
I play mostly Metal

I don't need anything for gigging, Just practicing/Maybe playing in a band..
Cancer.
Last edited by jesus-squared at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by qotsa1998
Crate Palomino with a TS9?

dude stop recommending stuff without knowing wat he wants. Palomino? for all u know he could have 2000 dollars to spend and might be wanting a rly heavy death metal tone..
Edit: for TS: 1500 (u probably wont need a distortion pedal if u get a good amp. even if u do, it probably wont cost that much unless its something boutiqe) can get u a rly nice amp
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
$1500 would be intensley pushin it right now
But I don't know If i get a job, I'll have that within 2 months, So I guess I could throw the price range at 1500
But still Any reccomendations, At all, anyone?
Cancer.
ok first of all, if you only get 1 pedal, buy a wah. If you get a tube amp with a decent distortion chanel, you wont need a distortion pedal first up. A wah teaches you really good pedal control, and it lets you manipulate your sound easily and effectively. If you're only gonna get 1 pedal this X-mas and you dont think a wah is your thing? you cant go past Boss DS-1. What amp? what do you play? theres plenty of really good marshalls, fenders, mesas, Hughes and Kettener etc. Take your pick
Quote by musicfreak003
dude stop recommending stuff without knowing wat he wants. Palomino? for all u know he could have 2000 dollars to spend and might be wanting a rly heavy death metal tone..
Edit: for TS: 1500 (u probably wont need a distortion pedal if u get a good amp. even if u do, it probably wont cost that much unless its something boutiqe) can get u a rly nice amp

Its a good first Tube amp and a really good pedal so shut up.
I played through the Peavey ValveKing 100 through a Peavey 4x12 last week. This all-tube amp kicks ass. Totally good for metal. This amp/cab had LOTS of tone, I thought. Great cleans, too. Try one out at Guitar Center. I think you'll really like it. I've heard the Palominos are good, but perhaps don't quite have enough gain for metal. As always, don't listen to anyone until you've heard it with your own ears, if at all possible.

• Peavey ValveKing 212 Combo $619 USD.
• Peavey ValveKing 100 head $529 USD + 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet of your choice.

Oh, yeah . . . Even with the master volume turned way low (and the gain all the way up, of course), you won't even need a distortion pedal.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by leeej
Its a good first Tube amp and a really good pedal so shut up.

good for some kinds of music, maybe, but not metal. and besides, he has almost 1500 dollars, so he should be able to get something that can last a long time, instead of a good "first" tube amp, which he might wanna swap out later. just because its a good amp and pedal for one kinda music does not mean it pwns everything else. you wouldn't want a randall warhead and a tubescreamer for blues, would u?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
With that kinda cash, look into some sort of Mesa/Boogie tube combo.

I've also heard good things about the Genz-Benz Diablo series, but I have no idea about the price range.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Hmm Mesa Combo's I guess I'll check em out
I know that they get extremley pricey, but i'll check it out.
any more suggestions?
Cancer.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
I've also heard good things about the Genz-Benz Diablo series, but I have no idea about the price range.

I used to think it was okay, and heard awesome things.

The OD channels is equivalent to switch the OD channel in your valveking for a metal zone.

Yeah. That bad.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Can I ask why everyone is recommending heads/cabs or 212 combos when all he wants to do is practise at home or in his band?

TS, I strongly recommend the Peavey Valveking 112. Its got all the volume you'll ever need, really good clean/distortion channels, and despite being 50w, it really can go very low on the volume for practising at home. Plus, you can use the cash left over to upgrade your guitar/buy some pedals.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Can I ask why everyone is recommending heads/cabs or 212 combos when all he wants to do is practise at home or in his band?

TS, I strongly recommend the Peavey Valveking 112. Its got all the volume you'll ever need, really good clean/distortion channels, and despite being 50w, it really can go very low on the volume for practising at home. Plus, you can use the cash left over to upgrade your guitar/buy some pedals.

someone who actually paid attention to what I posted

Thanks man i'll check out the valveking
Cancer.