What do you think would happen if there were no drugs, music wise. I personally think Reggae wouldnt exist (all reggae I've heard mentioned pot). Jimi Hendrix's lyrics wouldn't be NEARLY as good.

Disclaimer: I actually don't do drugs, never have, probably will someday (who wants to wake up 80 years old and realize its something you never go to experience?). So don't ask me about drugs, truthfully I only know the government propaganda known as Health Class.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
"See, I think drugs have done some *good* things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cd’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...
Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal ------ high on drugs."
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
but your name is stoner stone, how have you not done drugs?... anyway I think that most forms of music wouldn't be here, because most classic rock has a lot to do with drugs
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
but your name is stoner stone... anyway I think that most forms of music wouldn't be here, because most classic rock has a lot to do with drugs

my last name is stone. ive had that nickname since 4th grade.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by Stoner stone
my last name is stone. ive had that nickname since 4th grade.

ahh
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Guitarislife125
Drugs are the most dangerous substances on the planet.

*reported* Take it to the drug thread.

this thread has nothing to do wiht doing drugs, and no they are not. You closed minded ****, just because YOU dont do/ like drugs doesnt mean they are bad
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by Stoner stone
this thread has nothing to do wiht doing drugs, and no they are not. You closed minded ****, just because YOU dont do/ like drugs doesnt mean they are bad for you and they can kill you but they are NOT the most dangerous. What are you in sixth grade?

chill out princess, sheesh.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by x_thurston_x
chill out princess, sheesh.

yeah i made a typo there..... and yeah he reported me though :P
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by Guitarislife125

oh man, i am just some elitist bastard who cant have any real power cause ill abuse it. But to feel like a person i still feel the need to make everyone realize how big a douche i am so i think ill report a general thread in the general forum. giggidy giggidy goo!
Quote by Guitarislife125

Yep, because discussing music is the same exact thing as discussing drugs and only drugs.

Stop being a dick.

Anyways, look at it this way - many classical musicians had substance issues. Alcohol and opium were pretty major.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by Guitarislife125

This topic isn't directly about drugs, but the influence that drugs have had on music over the years. Therefore, I think it should stay in the pit. (Unless there is a better forum)

But I agree, drugs have played a big part in the music industry. I'm not too sure about the influence it has had on modern rock/alternative though.
My Gear:
  • Baby Blue Fender MexiStrat
  • Vox AD30VT

MikeLikes2Rock, I tried your idea, Genius!

Yeah, I'm a genius.
Quote by Stoner stone
yeah i made a typo there..... and yeah he reported me though :P

well its not about drugs, its about music and drugs influence right? calm down bro.

anyways, in my personal music, the good stuff in music started when the drug scene started, it's a major creativity sparker, but it can ruin your life, and the good musicians either die or burn out...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by jetfuel495
danzig himself said that drugs dont make you more creative. you think they do.

I disagree. I agree with alot of what he says but altering your state of mind/perspective/feelings can make you ALOT more creative.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by x_thurston_x
well its not about drugs, its about music and drugs influence right? calm down bro.

anyways, in my personal music, the good stuff in music started when the drug scene started, it's a major creativity sparker, but it can ruin your life, and the good musicians either die or burn out...

EVH is still alive....
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by pinkhaze29
If drugs didn't exist, people would find something else to right about that would be considered bad.

lol "i really like ummmmm. sugar" "dude that ****ll kill you!"
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by x_thurston_x
"See, I think drugs have done some *good* things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cd’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...

Mother****ing right.
Spiral Out
I don't think music pre-1920 would be that different. One of the things I've always appreciated about composers like Beethoven is that not only are their compositions more complex, less repetitious, and simply more skillful, but the artists didn't write the music while they were high, and their mind was altered to that extent. That being said, I still don't refuse to listen to music written by someone who was high at the time. I'm a huge fan of Syd Barrett, The Allman Brothers Band, and Santana. Much of their music was written while they were high, especially Barrett's.
Quote by Stoner stone

yes... I meant sugar

Also, wouldn't the music be better to an extent? Seeing as there wouldn't be musicians dieing from the drugs.
Last edited by pinkhaze29 at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by Stoner stone

... or sex... that could be seen as taboo... sugar doesn't really spring to mind though. But ya, i think drugs made some people more creative, but also had some bad effects. It really depends on the case.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by x_thurston_x
I don't think Bach was trippin' on acid when he wrote Toccata and Fugue in D Minor....
Quote by HumanitysDeath

Mother****ing right.

YAY!

someone acknowledged my reference
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by The Madcap
I don't think music pre-1920 would be that different. One of the things I've always appreciated about composers like Beethoven is that not only are their compositions more complex, less repetitious, and simply more skillful, but the artists didn't write the music while they were high, and their mind was altered to that extent. That being said, I still don't refuse to listen to music written by someone who was high at the time. I'm a huge fan of Syd Barrett, The Allman Brothers Band, and Santana. Much of their music was written while they were high, especially Barrett's.

ya know that they did have drugs before the 1920's, and there were some musicians that used it. theres just not the synthetic drugs we have now like meth and acid.
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
Quote by jetfuel495

QFMFT.

Yeah, classic rock and that era had a lot to do with drugs. But I dont really think its as big of an issue/deal anymore. At least in metal, i know there are very few stoner bands. maybe in other genre's there's more, but idk.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Adamus9
ya know that they did have drugs before the 1920's, and there were some musicians that used it. theres just not the synthetic drugs we have now like meth and acid.
I suppose, but I really never have thought of Marijuana as a drug, so to speak. I really think something that's as natural as marijuana really can't be called the same thing as something being made by scientists in laboratory's. I also used Beethoven as an example because he was very picky with the medicine he took. Their was some medicine that he refused to take (I think he refused to take painkillers, even though doctors thought he should) because he wanted to keep a clean mind for his composing.
Quote by jetfuel495
Eh...Brandon Boyd (Incubus) also stated that after smoking his first joint, the "poetic floodgates had been opened inside of his brain".
Quote by x_thurston_x

Thank you Bill Hicks.
Quote by jetfuel495

really! oh **** if he said that it must be true! no more drugs for anybody they don't make you creative, danzig said so, so it must be true

different people get different effects from different drugs, keep an open mind and don't take one persons opinion to be the absolute truth
Quote by rage6945
girls dont get braces in their vaginas buddy
its not the drugs that makes someone great, its the life experience. for example many of you people dont like staind i do, hes had a ****ed up life and he was once a drug abuser, but songs didnt come to his head becuase of drugs. drugs will only get you a pink elephant and many colors to look at. its the life experiences you have and how drugs make em worse or inspire them to make them see how bad they really were,and thats why personally i dont like hendrix, he may have been amazing but that wasnt him it was heroin in flesh and blood.

about the different effects, it almost killed me once, and no im nto over reacting belive me i was afraid, but thats just over now and i have a open mind about it but i just personally hate them, although i respect the people that take it
''courage is not enough to forget''
Last edited by rock_metal_fan at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Guitarislife125

Uranium?

Get a life!
Quote by DaliLama
Go to a friend and say "what the difference between soda and your soda?............(pause).............sperm!" Then you start masturbating furiously into their can
I think that certain drugs may reduce inhibitions in a way that facilitates sorts of playing/writing that aren't normally done (for instance, I'll very rarely write free-form rhyming lyrics sober) but besides that they just provide another topic to write about.

Of course, to me it seems like sometimes there's a correlation between creativity and recklessness (substance use/abuse included).

Some psychedelic drugs do occasionally produce what's been termed "profound life changing spiritual experience" though and that's certainly something that could induce musical creativity.
Last edited by allalong at Oct 28, 2007,
ive never taken drugs, but i think what they do is just open ur mind. like, i'm sure that if some of those musicians weren't high, but opened their mind and were inspired by the same things when they were high, they would stil make the same music. being high just makes it easier for them to see something in a certain way. see, the human brain is a magnificent thing, but we just don't use it as much cuz we always focus on one aspect and we're so used to looking at things in one way, but we never just try get the big picture, shake it, turn it upside down, and then look at it again and try to interpret it.
I think some beautiful song were written after they just got clean. So I guess drugs played a part there too in a positive sort of way.
SPACE FOR RENT
Quote by x_thurston_x

Bill Hicks for president.

Too bad he's dead.