Alright guys, I'm looking for an effects processor, something along the lines of a
G-Major
G-Force
G-system
Boss GT-Pro
Pod XT Pro
Roland VG-99
Rocktron Prophesy
Rocktron Xpression

These aren't really requirements but are preferred
Mainly effects, I don't care much for amp modeling
$1,000 or less but willing to buy used
Easy to control, via midi or similar
Good tone
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
effects processors are NOT the way to go, but if you must, the boss GT8 is your best bet
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
effects processors are NOT the way to go, but if you must, the boss GT8 is your best bet

You must not have heard of T.C. Electronics.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^Yep. High end effects processors have had alot of time and thought put into them.

Many great bands use digital effects processors, mostly for delay, pitch effects, and reverb, and the like.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
^Yep. High end effects processors have had alot of time and thought put into them.

Many great bands use digital effects processors, mostly for delay, pitch effects, and reverb, and the like.

You consistantly post accurate stuff...do any of those processors appeal to you or do you have any opinions on them?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^

I really really like the Prophesy series, however, it's more of a preamp than an effects processor. I've only been able to test out the G Major, Prophesy II and POD Pro. I like the POD, but again, I'd feel your money is better spent on a processor solely for effects and not modeling, you know?

I'd go for a Prophesy though, it should be cheaper on the used market nowadays.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah, my roadking doesn't really need any help with amp modeling, thats why I'm looking for some good effects to accompany it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Definitely check out the GMajor then, no nonsense effects IMO

Although, what effects do you really need? if it's just one or two, you might get a better tone with unites dedicated to those effects.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 28, 2007,
Yeah, I'd steer away from the POD's since they're ment more for amp modelling.
• TC Electronic G•Major

I have one. Priced right ($399 MAP, but you can bargain them down to $369 at Guitar Center). Clean, quiet, transparent signal. Lots of parameters to tweak. Great sounds. Absolutely no reason to save a few dollars, and short-change yourself, by getting the G•Minor instead—definitely opt for the G•Major, if you decide to go that way. A huge benefit to the G•Major is that Guitar Center stocks and sells them. You can always walk in and return it if you change your mind. This, and my Engl preamp, is all I have in my signal chain. The guitar goes into the Engl, and then to the G•Major (then straight into a DAW). I am ridiculously happy with the sounds I'm getting from these two units in tandem. I really don't feel the need to buy pedals anymore (although, I'm sure others may want to). One of the things I like about the G•Major's presets, is that they don't necessarily sound like you're using an "EFFECT" with a capital 'E.' It just makes your guitar sound awesome somehow.

You can read my partial-review of the TC Electronic G•Major here in a thread I started for G•Major users (of which no one else has posted yet!).

G•Major Thread

• Rocktron Prophesy II

I don't have one, but it's the effects processor of choice of my friend, who has just about every piece of exotic guitar gear there is, so I bet it sounds pretty amazing. He mentioned that it may be more difficult to use/program than the G•Major, and that it has somewhat of a learning curve. But he loves it, and I think that's about all he uses right now. But, come to think of it, I think Reincaster's right, it's more of a really capable preamp than a full-featured effects processor, although I could be mistaken.

• Boss GT-Pro

Couldn't audition a GT-Pro yet, but instead played through a GT-8. The distortion effects can sound nice, but nowhere near the sound quality of tube-based distortion (I gather that's not what you're looking for anyway). And once you turn the gains up to where it starts to sound balls-ey, the GT-8 produces a huge noise floor for some reason. I found the progamming a bit cryptic and difficult to get started with. Call me crazy, but if I can't figure out a user interface fairly quickly, I call it "difficult." Yeah, I know, "RTFM." But that's the same reason I can't stand using Yamaha Motifs. Anyway, it's really unfair to just bag on the GT-8's distortion. I look forward to auditioning a GT-Pro someday, and I'm sure it has a lot to offer.

• Summary

I always buy what I'm comfortable with (doesn't everyone?). And, although I haven't auditioned everything on your list, of course, I'm biased toward the G•Major, since I now own one. It's simple to use, yet still powerful. Sounds great. Zero noise floor. S/PDIF. Best bang for the buck. The G•System is supposed to be amazing, but the G•Major does everything I need for less than one-third the price. I'm sure the Prophecy is also impressive, but its price tag and reported complexity scared me away. Also, I don't know where to demo one. Definitely try to audition all three if you can, or give the G•Major a try, and return it if you find you like something else.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
• TC Electronic G•Major

I have one. Priced right ($399 MAP, but you can bargain them down to $369 at Guitar Center). Clean, quiet, transparent signal. Lots of parameters to tweak. Great sounds. Absolutely no reason to save a few dollars, and short-change yourself, by getting the G•Minor instead—definitely opt for the G•Major, if you decide to go that way. A huge benefit to the G•Major is that Guitar Center stocks and sells them. You can always walk in and return it if you change your mind. This, and my Enlg preamp, is all I have in my signal chain. The guitar goes into the Engl, and then to the G•Major (then straight into a DAW). I am ridiculously happy with the sounds I'm getting from these two units in tandem.

• Rocktron Prophesy II

I don't have one, but it's the effects processor of choice of my friend, who has just about every piece of exotic guitar gear there is, so I bet it sounds pretty amazing. He mentioned that it may be more difficult to use/program than the G•Major, and that it has somewhat of a learning curve. But he loves it, and I think that's about all he uses right now.

• Boss GT-Pro

Couldn't audition a GT-Pro yet, but instead played through a GT-8. The distortion effects can sound nice, but nowhere near the sound quality of tube-based distortion (I gather that's not what you're looking for anyway). And once you turn the gains up to where it starts to sound balls-ey, the GT-8 produces a huge noise floor for some reason. I found the progamming a bit cryptic and difficult to get started with. Call me crazy, but if I can't figure out a user interface fairly quickly, I call it "difficult." Yeah, I know, "RTFM." But that's the same reason I can't stand using Yamaha Motifs. Anyway, it's really unfair to just bag on the GT-8's distortion. I look forward to auditioning a GT-Pro someday, and I'm sure it has a lot to offer.

• Summary

I always buy what I'm comfortable with (doesn't everyone?). And, although I haven't auditioned everything on your list, of course, I'm biased toward the G•Major, since I now own one. It's simple to use, yet still powerful. Sounds great. Zero noise floor. S/PDIF. Best bang for the buck. The G•System is supposed to be amazing, but the G•Major does everything I need for less than one-third the price. I'm sure the Prophecy is also impressive, but its price tag and reported complexity scared me away. Also, I don't know where to demo one. Definitely try to audition all three if you can, or give the G•Major a try, and return it if you find you like something else.

Definitely agree with you on the G major. I'm thinking of adding one to my rig, after playing with one in store for a few months, but just can't decide if I can afford it, so I'm saving up a bit. Can I ask one thing though? How is the whammy setting? I wasn't able to try it for lack of exp pedal.

My favorite thing about the Gmajor is that it's the simpler of the high end effects processor.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
How is the whammy setting? I wasn't able to try it for lack of exp pedal . . . My favorite thing about the Gmajor is that it's the simpler of the high end effects processor.
Thanks for your comments. I haven't purchased the stupid pedal yet! Dying to try it myself. Be warned, it's a whammy, not a wah (they're different, right?). Yeah, I really like its simplicity. Very powerful, but logically laid out. I f*ckin' love this thing!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I'm playing with a friend's G-Major right now. Very clean processing. The menu system is a bit goofy, but the tones are great. I want to play with a G-System now, but I'm not dropping that much money for something new to play with.