View poll results: Do you like Primus?
Yes
55 57%
No
21 22%
Indifferent
20 21%
Voters: 96.
So I have a very simple question, how many of you guys like Primus? when I say like Primus, that includes either know how to play one of their songs or want to play one, and like to listen to their music.

This would be an awesome poll question.

I ask this because I've recently joined a club at my school and of the 8 or so bass players I've met, 6 of them played alot of primus, and wooten for that matter. I personally am not a big fan of their music, so I was just curious to see what the demographic really looked like.
To be honest? I can't really stand them. I think Claypool is amazing at what he does, but I only listen to them in extremely small doses (like one song) if at all.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Primus is fun, Awesome band but not really something I wanna listen too for a long time in a row.
i for one, evidently am the only person on this site that likes primus a lot

claypool is great, and i REALLY admire lalonde for being talented and able to step back in a bass-oriented band

a lot of greats wouldnt even be able to do that
Primus is one of favorite bands. All of them are great musicians that dont give a f*** what people think of them and dont play the same $#!t everyone else is playin
I like primus, but I'm not a hardcore fan. i listen to a couple of their songs but thats about it. Don't get me wrong, their all immensely talented at what they do, but their just not my most favorite band.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i think primus are brilliant, i can't listen to them for hours on end because it is hard to listen to and relax to
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I love Suck On This and Frizzle Fry, and like Sailing the Seas of Cheese, but other than the odd song or two, I really dislike their other records.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I feckin love Primus.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by gravytrain34
Primus is one of favorite bands. All of them are great musicians that dont give a f*** what people think of them and dont play the same $#!t everyone else is playin

Quote by bassmanjoe08
I feckin love Primus.

learn how to type
i can't say i've seen enough of their stuff to have an opinion.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I love Primus. Then again, I tend to have a thing for obscure music anyway, so that probably adds to it.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I think they're pretty easy to listen to, only really stuff from the "Antipop" album though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I love Primus, but its not my favourite project of his (Frog Brigade gets that vote). But then again, I love Captain Beefheart and Robyn Hitchcock, so I tend towards music that is an acquired taste
Quote by FullMetalBass
No, not really. Les Claypool is good and such but I cannot say that their music is enjoyable.

Likewise

Quote by gravytrain34

Amusingly, Primus is what everyone else is playing.

As for me, I'm indifferent. I don't like Claypools tone, vocal delivery, playing style... much about him really, but I acknowledge that he's good. Just doesn't interest me. I only occasionally listen to Primus for Tim Alexander and Larry LaLonde.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic

He means that they play music that is different than any other band on the market. Which is quite true.

Just bought frizzle fry a few weeks ago. It hasn't left the car cd player yet.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I literally thought this was about Optimus Prime....
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by anarkee
I love Primus, but its not my favourite project of his (Frog Brigade gets that vote). But then again, I love Captain Beefheart and Robyn Hitchcock, so I tend towards music that is an acquired taste

A squid eating dough in a polyethelene bag is fast and bulbous - got me?

That said, I can't stand Primus. Each bass line sounds like the same thing over and over again, the guitar player seems random, the drummer seems to be doing his own thing, and the vocals are random chicken scratch spatter - or at least that's how I hear it.

Don Van Vliet's stuff seems to be orchestrated chaos. He's not trying to sound 'good' or 'cool' when he's playing - he wants to be as offensive to the ears and eyes as he can. The fact that he can sing every note on a piano wins major brownie points for me.

Also, a tin... teardrop. Bulbous also tapered (that's right)!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I quite like Primus, though ATM I only have the greatest hits.

Some of the songs are fantastic, some are just plain old pretty good, won't skip if it comes up songs.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Caustic

As for me, I'm indifferent. I don't like Claypools tone, vocal delivery, playing style... much about him really, but I acknowledge that he's good. Just doesn't interest me.

same, hes good but songs about my name is mud and dead puppies doesnt interest me
plus the vocals suck
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I literally thought this was about Optimus Prime....

I haven't been on UG in a while but I thought the Transformers fad would be dead by now...

Quote by gravytrain34

hes got a point, they've got their style

they kick ass
Quote by GreenDayChris
Primus sucks.

are you quoting the inside joke or saying it literally.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Love him or hate him, but Claypool single handedly revolutionized bass playing in the 90's. Plus, he's a great storyteller. I consider him the Evel Knievel of bass playing. And having met the dude, I can say he's a nice fella!
Last edited by Sly Taco at Oct 29, 2007,
i like the south park theme song from them and thats it everything else is too weird for me.
Primus is the band that someone listens to when they are sneaking up little children at night. Think about it.