problem one: when i plug in both of my guitars, they start making noise (not feedback, just like the sound you would get if you slapped all of the strings). i muffle them, but then as soon as i take my hand off, they start making noise. they constantly do this while im playing, especially when tapping. i mute the strings, but they make the sound as soon as i take my hand off.

problem two: neither of my picups on my main axe seem to pick up harmonics very well. theyre seymour duncan. dont know what type. also, when i do string bends, the sound seems to cut out as soon as i start bending the string.

try to help me with one or both of these issues. thanks.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Check if the pole pieces of the pickups are correctly alligned with the strings. It might be that you have a duncan pickup thats floyd spaced when you dont need floyd spacing, or standard spaced when you need floyd spacing.

As for the noise...turn the gain down? >_>
True, every guitar pretty much differs in the optimal position for a pinch harmonic (subtle differences but still, sometimes there quite noticeable in the way the harmonic rings out).
Not sure about the first problem, unless it's a bad ground and both guitars are probably not shielded. Here is a decent article about grounding, Guitar Nuts has one of my favorite articles about shielding. I use heavy duty aluminum foil and spray glue, works great and it's cheap.

For the second problem, your action may be too low, pickups may be too high, and the neck may need some tweaking. Fret the low E string at the first and last frets. Then look at the string at the middle, 7th to 12th fret, it should have a gap there about the thickness of your G string or a credit card. If it's touching, the neck needs back bow, if it's too far away it has too much back bow. Both are truss rod adjustments, take it to a shop if you are not absolutly sure you can adjust it without mishap. That's a repair job that will cost more than your guitar in some cases. You might also want to use a capo so you can check clearance all the way down with a feeler gauge, the frets may be different heights or have grooves worn in them, that would mean a fret leveling job. You can see the grooves if you pull the string to the side, usually the first few frets are the worst. If your pickups are so high the strings touch them when you fret a note, they need to be lowered. I try to keep them a minimum of 3/16" from the strings.

If the action is too low, the strings are contacting different frets and that shuts off the sound when you bend a note. My bet is fret grooves, that's a classic symptom of grooves. When you fret a note, the groove allows it to drop lower than other frets, then when you bend the note it hits frets between your finger and the guitar body, the note shuts off. Same if the action is too low, frets are uneven or the neck is warped where it connects to the guitar body.

Recommendations

First get a good setup. That means adjust the action, (string height) adjust the intonation, adjust the tremolo springs and truss rod if necessary, adjust the pickup height, and a good tech will level the frets if needed also, and of course let you know first it will cost more...a new set of strings is mandatory, at least when I do a setup.

Again, be very careful if you tinker with the truss rod, it breaks easily. Take it to a shop if you're the least bit uncertain about it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 28, 2007,
just so you guys know, the first issue is on one of my axes, and the second issue is on another, so im possitive the PH thing isnt my technique. as for distance from the amp, ive gone as far as going out the door and into another room.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Maybe it's a cable problem? Good quality cable reduces noise, and transfers signals better.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

im possitive its not the cable. i bought a new one because of this problem and nothing changed. ill try a setup, once the weather changes so i dont have to get two setups.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX