I bought a used 5150 combo on craigslist about 6 months ago. Not sure what year it was made, but the previous owner was the only owner of the combo. He told me that it had the original tubes in it. I haven't replaced them either. I know they need to be replaced, but I'm curious about how the sound changes when the tubes are going out. I dont have any comparison to show me that my 5150 tubes are bad. How can you guys tell when tubes are going out??
Only way I can think of is finding a new one and play through it with the settings/set up you use. Do you know how long the dude had it before he sold it to you?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I know that when the pre amp tubes went out in my 5150 II it started to get a lot of static on the distortion channel
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Quote by bean-o
Only way I can think of is finding a new one and play through it with the settings/set up you use. Do you know how long the dude had it before he sold it to you?

I've tried looking at a few videos on YouTube, but its hard to compare cuz Im sure most vids on there have effects & pedals running into the amp as well. As for how long the guy had the amp, I'm not sure. I dont know what year my amp is, but I'm assuming he had it for a good while without a tube change
I retubed my 5150 combo with a full set of Electroharmonix tubes. Works good enough for me. Minimal noise, good tone. But thats the only set of tubes I've tried. Was gonna get tungsols but costs too much. Still, im happy with the EHX tubes.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers