I'm looking for like a few solos that have helped people get better. Because I thought about it and I've never learned a solo in it's entirety(well actually I've learned a few Bullet For My Valentine one's but w.e.). If you could tell me in almost like a progressive list or different levels(easy, medium, hard) that would be even better. I tend to be into more modern metal, but I listen to everything(honestly, you should see my ipod). I'm an above average guitar player, but I've learned a lot of stuff on my own and from lessons. So I'm just trying to expand my arsenal. Thanks so much!
you should play "Evil Eye" by Alcatrazz it helped me to get way better, now i play tons of melsteen's stuff
if you want hard sea of lies from symphony x
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkaways is a cool easy one to learn.
nothing else matters - metallica

if ure good wif sweeping then

unholy warcry - rhapsody of fire
These are a few that helped me a lot:
Gun's N' Roses - Don't cry - solo helped with timing and sliding techniques
(novice)
Gun's N' Roses - Sweet Child o' Mine - solo taught awesome licks
(moderate)
Trivium - Dying in you arms - solo helped me with pull-off and hammer-on speed (moderate)
JerryC - Canon - I love canon, jerryc's version taught me just about everything (moderate)
Dragon Force- Fury of the storm (intro and solo) - all advanced techniques in there
(haaaard)

hope this helped
If you're into Children of Bodom, just learn a bunch of Laiho's solos...usually you can find a combination of all the "advanced techniques" in there.

Some of my favorites include:

-Warheart
-Kissing the Shadows (this is one of the faster ones)
-Follow the Reaper

Have fun.
Thanks for everyone who answered so far. Dragonforce... come on. But there's definitely a few here I'll definitely check out. Keep it coming!
Quote by disillusia

unholy warcry - rhapsody of fire

I'm gonna second this. If you want to practice your sweeping with an awesome epic-sounding power metal solo, this one's a great choice. So fun to play.

Another good riff to practice sweeping is the Smoke and Mirrors intro by Symphony X.
I suck at sweeping. I'm very minimal at the amount of strings I can sweep on. It doesn't have to be epic songs or anything. It could just be classics and stuff. I'm just looking more for solos that are easily achievable, yet challenging.
Sure, you might learn to shred and play 5000 notes a second, but even metal players need to go to their roots and learn some good emotional techniques, like bending, vibrato, phrasing, etc.

Try learning "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2" and "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. That'll get you started in bending and vibrato, and you should be able to learn how to phrase some, since Gilmour's solos are all excellently phrased.

Cheers.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by ready2breakdown
I'm looking for like a few solos that have helped people get better. Because I thought about it and I've never learned a solo in it's entirety(well actually I've learned a few Bullet For My Valentine one's but w.e.). If you could tell me in almost like a progressive list or different levels(easy, medium, hard) that would be even better. I tend to be into more modern metal, but I listen to everything(honestly, you should see my ipod). I'm an above average guitar player, but I've learned a lot of stuff on my own and from lessons. So I'm just trying to expand my arsenal. Thanks so much!

Any solo in its entirety. ..... actually many solos in their entirety would help you alot. Pick one that inspires you and go for it.
shred is gaudy music
if you want:

easy go with like some 80's type of solo, maybe iron maiden, or bullet for my valentine

Medium : Trivium, Between the buried and me (alaska)

Hard : Fenix or Cross by Ozielzinho (look it up in youtube)

Brutal Hard : Far Beyond the Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen or Gentaro demonstration. ( type in, in youtube neoclassical Sweep is the first one)
Quote by iruka2998
critical acclaim - A7X

right most of A7X's stuff is really easy.....chapter four has a cool little solo in it though, it starts at 4:20 (really....it does). Anyway....some solos...

Easy: Outro solos from Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria

Easy/Moderate : Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage

Moderate: Taste the Poison by Story of the Year

Moderate/Hard: Eruption by Van Halen (or Spanish Fly)

Hard: Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Easy: Metallica:
  • Four Horsemen
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Sanitarium (Welcome Home)
  • Enter Sandman
  • Sad But True
  • Of Wolf and Man
  • My Friend of Misery

Dream Theater:
  • Voices
  • Forsaken
  • These Walls
  • Caught in a Web
  • As I Am
  • A Change of Seasons (if you have a 7-string)

Megadeth:
  • Symphony of Destruction
  • Five Magics
  • Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
  • Take No Prisoners

Moderate: Dream Theater:
  • Under a Glass Moon
  • The Root of all Evil
  • Fatal Tragedy

Hard: Anything else by Dream Theater, anything by Liquid Tension Experiment, almost anything by Dragonforce.
Dream Theater will step your playing up. John Petrucci pretty much gets better every album so starting with When Dream and Day Unite/Images and Words and as you get better trying some Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos would be good.
Keep in mind even their easiest stuff is pretty damn challenging.

Overture 1928 would be good to learn
Pull Me Under isnt too hard
Another day is pretty easy solo wise
Constant Motion if your god pretty much
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Hand on Heart by Steve vai - just finished learning this myself, havnt been playing that long so it gave me really good practice And it sounds awsome - even though it isnt that hard at all
Quote by starwars
you should play "Evil Eye" by Alcatrazz it helped me to get way better, now i play tons of melsteen's stuff

Malmsteen*
Hah thanks guys that "list" will probably help me (and many more persons) aswell... keep them going!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Another really easy song is Crazy Train by Ozzy. The solo sounds pretty hard but really it's not that bad. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the whole song up to speed.
Quote by MusicalMinority
Sure, you might learn to shred and play 5000 notes a second, but even metal players need to go to their roots and learn some good emotional techniques, like bending, vibrato, phrasing, etc.

Try learning "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2" and "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. That'll get you started in bending and vibrato, and you should be able to learn how to phrase some, since Gilmour's solos are all excellently phrased.

Cheers.

Well said. That was one of the first solos that I learned. Not too difficult by any means, but Gilmour's tone and phrasing are second to none. That really helped give me ideas for my own solos/improv.
wow so many songs I don't even know where the hell to start. I wouldn't even try to hit dream theater(i do have a seven string though) quite yet. Hopefully soon though. We'll see I'm gonna get better at it. Thanks again!
Quote by feltgrape
Dream Theater will step your playing up. John Petrucci pretty much gets better every album so starting with When Dream and Day Unite/Images and Words and as you get better trying some Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos would be good.
Keep in mind even their easiest stuff is pretty damn challenging.

Overture 1928 would be good to learn
Pull Me Under isnt too hard
Another day is pretty easy solo wise
Constant Motion if your god pretty much

i second Overture 1928, my playing felt like it stepped up a huge amount after i learned that. Metropolis pt. 1 helped me a lot aswell especially the really intense riff near the end that alternates between 5 and 7 note groupings. it's not really that fast either, but it's tough to fret and the picking's pretty tricky. and it's totally constant and intense which helped my stamina a lot. i definately advise you to learn this.

other than dream theater, you should learn some children of bodom. silent night bodom night, deadnight warrior and chokehold, all have awesome solos. learning these really helped me to make the transition from a novice to a solid all round intermediate player. it helped me to become a lot more disciplined with my playing aswell.
One solo that really helpeid me, because it builds a lot of pinky strength/dexterity is Statutory Ape by the Black Dahlia Murder. It's not too impossible and it will really help.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Ain't talkin' 'bout love by Van Halen, easy solo, and you can just improvise when you get tired of it. Any of iron maiden's work pre-seventh son of a seventh son is good.

I wouldn't recommend ozzy's stuff just yet 'cause those solos are nuts and a half to play, like even to this day, I don't know how Randy pulled off Mr. Crowley

Learn Glasgow kiss and damage control by John Petrucci, awesome songs once you get the techniques down, lots of alt picking unfortunately
hue
Quote by OThugSd
One solo that really helpeid me, because it builds a lot of pinky strength/dexterity is Statutory Ape by the Black Dahlia Murder. It's not too impossible and it will really help.

There's hardly even a need to use your pinky on that solo
if your not good at sweeping find lessons on youtube i found a really good one once that helped me loads..then try canon rock..not nessacarily the whole song..focus on the sweeping bit then look at children of bodom because the solos use loads of different techniques and they helped me LOADS!
Quote by samlocke14
through the fire and the flames

wow very funny..this the only song you know with shredding then??
soo predictable