Hello ppl,

I have an Ibanez GRG 270dx. The guitar is good for metal in general but i m more of a blues based hard rock fan!

I was hoping to make some changes in my ibanez to make it sound closer to a Les Paul. Now u may say that why didnt I buy a Les Paul in the first place .. well coz it costs a fortune n n I havent quite struck gold!!

Nyway, so i was thinking of havin my pickups replaced with Gibson Burstbucker Pro Alnico V Humbucker Pickups.

Please pls pls lemme knw if any of u ve tried it before n its gonna do any good!

Thnx in advance!!!
those pickups are perfect, but also try to get some seymour duncan's vintage pickups, those are real good, and yeah u could've tried an epiphone les paul, those are cheaper.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Yeah, should have got an epiphone. There is pretty much no difference.
Personally I don't like Gibson pickups cause they are too thin. Try some Seymour Duncans
the les paul agiles on rondomusic.com arent so bad
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by FRDesign
Why not just save up and buy an Epiphone?

The Burstbucker Pro's alone cost $220

You can buy a Real, Mahogany Epi LP Standard for $299.

I've gotta agree. In my experience Ibanez's are kinda one-track in terms of tone. If you want a Les Paul sound, buy a Les paul. It would be cheaper than modifying an Ibanez, with a better result.
Quote by guy_tebache
I've gotta agree. In my experience Ibanez's are kinda one-track in terms of tone. If you want a Les Paul sound, buy a Les paul. It would be cheaper than modifying an Ibanez, with a better result.

Well I gotta disagree, a Mahogany Ibanez with PAF style pickups will sound VERY close to an LP, minus a tiny bit of fatness but it's got all the same treble as from a maple cap from the maple neck.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
If you're going for actual Gibson pickups, go for a Burstbucker #2 (neck) and #3 (bridge) combination, rather than the Alnico V Pro versions. It'll get you closer to the thicker, traditional old LP sound, if that's what you're after. The Alnico Vs with the lighter Ibanez body would probably end up sounding more like an SG, roughly, than an LP.

Though that said, Seymour Duncan '59s, Alnico II Pros and Pearly Gates would probably be worth looking into for you, and some combination of those three would most likely give you a more pleasing tone than any Burstbucker.

Generally my rule of thumb is, if it's an ESP LP copy, a Gibson LP or an Epiphone LP (not counting low-end Epis like Studios and Special-II's), use Gibson Burstbuckers. For any other guitars, I use Seymour Duncans.
depends if the body is mohogany put some Symore D SH4JB humbuckers in there that shuld give you a good standard lp sound hva efun better off buying an epiphone
the js ibanez sounds kinda like a lp
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I agree with the comments abotu going for Duncan Pickups. Gibson pickups are really nice, but over priced (I got my 498T in a trade for a Duncan Jazz, and it was an older one at that). Duncan 59 or Pearly Gates should work well for that LP Tone. but you need a guitar. The LP tone is from its mahogany body and set neck, as well as its humbuckers. A GRG with an alder body, bolt on maple neck, won't get you that sound, even if Gibson Humbuckers. Look for an Epi Les Paul.

BTW, if you want an Ibanez for LP tone, try a pre lawsuit LP copy The Post Lawsuit LPs are sweet too, but not quite the same in terms of tone imo. That said you wouldn't be able to afford one
Quote by FRDesign
Why not just save up and buy an Epiphone?

The Burstbucker Pro's alone cost $220

You can buy a Real, Mahogany Epi LP Standard for $299.

Because Epis suck, Burstbucker Pro's rock, and Ibanez's have better necks anyway.

I'd suggest going for GFS or Seymour Duncans (SH-1 59' and/or Pearly Gates anyone?) pickups though, just to save some green and still get the right sound (give or take a lil').

EDIT: While the woods color the tone and affect the sustain of a guitar the pickups really determine the base tone to begin with. I get almost perfect Jimmy Page, AC/DC and other such Gibson tones out of my screwed up Tele because it has a Seymour Duncan 59' in the bridge, go figure...
Last edited by RadioMuse at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by $las$h
Hello ppl,

I have an Ibanez GRG 270dx. The guitar is good for metal in general but i m more of a blues based hard rock fan!

I was hoping to make some changes in my ibanez to make it sound closer to a Les Paul. Now u may say that why didnt I buy a Les Paul in the first place .. well coz it costs a fortune n n I havent quite struck gold!!

Nyway, so i was thinking of havin my pickups replaced with Gibson Burstbucker Pro Alnico V Humbucker Pickups.

Please pls pls lemme knw if any of u ve tried it before n its gonna do any good!

Thnx in advance!!!

Won't help - they'll only sound like a Les Paul if they're IN a Les Paul. The RG doesn't have the natural warmth or resonance of the LP, and the Burstbuckers won't add it. In addition they're horrendously overpriced.

If you want to seriously beef up the tone of the RG and get it at least approaching Les Paul levels of thickness of tone and warmth then you want Dimarzio Breeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MrCarrot
Well I gotta disagree, a Mahogany Ibanez with PAF style pickups will sound VERY close to an LP, minus a tiny bit of fatness but it's got all the same treble as from a maple cap from the maple neck.

Its a Basswood RG.
Quote by RadioMuse
Because Epis suck, Burstbucker Pro's rock, and Ibanez's have better necks anyway.

I'd suggest going for GFS or Seymour Duncans (SH-1 59' and/or Pearly Gates anyone?) pickups though, just to save some green and still get the right sound (give or take a lil').

EDIT: While the woods color the tone and affect the sustain of a guitar the pickups really determine the base tone to begin with. I get almost perfect Jimmy Page, AC/DC and other such Gibson tones out of my screwed up Tele because it has a Seymour Duncan 59' in the bridge, go figure...

Jimmy Page used Telecasters on some of his solos....

Epiphones do not suck, I like mine and its a cheap Special II. I like my Ibanez as well, but its a Totally different guitar.