ok, a friend of mine says they are complete pieces of crap. i never heard such things. are they seirously bad guitars?
I would kill for one. So if my opinion matters to you, then they are great guitars.

It really depends on what you want though. Your friend was probably referring to the huge problems with the bridge on old Jaguars, but I'm pretty sure that's been taken care of for the most part in the newer models.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Short answer: absolutely not. I'd take a jag/jazzmaster over just about any guitar, any day.
I am hopeful for you.
You like Nirvana? Kurt Cobain played a Jag on the Nevermind tour and probably on the album too.

Not to mention Kevin Sheilds made some of the most awesome sounds ever with his Jag on My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album.
i agree with screamsoftly when they first made them back awhile ago the bridge was ****ty and never caught on till they fixed it and brought them back which is why they cost alot
oh and cobains jag was an old model and was heavily modified with different pickups and a gibson style bridge
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Kurt played the jag alot but he said it was the ****test thing

but if theyve changed it now..
Different Jaguars use different bridges, the Adjusto-Matics are like Gibson's Tune-O-Matic and really stable. The Jag tremelo isn't known for stability.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^ +1
And he also used a Jaguar on Under the Bridge... and that's one of the most amazing tones ever, so don't believe anybody who says they're crap.
They're one of my favourite guitars, after PRS, LP and Strats.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Anyone who thinks jaguars are a piece of crap are just noobs who were scared away by the dual circuit controls and didn't know how to fix the problems with the bridge.

The problem with the jaguar/jazzmaster is that the amount of tension the strings put on the bridge is a lot lower than it should be, and this causes the strings to buzz against the bridge or even worse, jump out of the saddles, also the bridge doesn't have enough tension from the strings for it to be held together so sometimes the screws that you adjust to set the action can fall out. The easy fixes are:

1- use heavier strings. the jaguar is shortscale, they won't be too tight but it should put enough tension on the bridge to make the guitar playable. Stock jaguars are fitted with .09 strings which is idiotic on a 24" scale guitar imo.
2- get a mustang bridge. mustangs are the same scale length as the jag with a similar tremolo system that means there's less tension on the bridge, but mustangs don't have any of the problems jaguars do, and a mustang bridge is very likely to fix the problems.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

2- get a mustang bridge. mustangs are the same scale length as the jag with a similar tremolo system that means there's less tension on the bridge, but mustangs don't have any of the problems jaguars do, and a mustang bridge is very likely to fix the problems.

Yeah, most definitely. Kurt did this along with about a billion other people who play Jags.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I'm buying a limited edition Jag with a blonde paintjob and gold hardware. I'll make you a deal, if it sucks I will fly myself to where ever you live and lick your taint. (By the way, I'm going to be one of the few...the proud...the people who don't buy a Jag just because Cobain used one.)
My attempt at gear-
Fender Jaguar (limited edition Cream with gold hardware.)
Goya Rangemaster (1967 Italian Archtop)
Martin SWDGT Acoustic.
Vox AD50VT.
Ibanez Tubescreamer, Wasabi Delay, MXR BLUE BOX.
I used to play a Jaguar every week when I went into the local guitar shop for lessons. Pretty sure they sold it, though, . I love the feel of a Jaguar.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
locking tuners takes care a lot of the problems caused by the ****ty bridge. i prefer to switch the pickup selector to a toggle.
and heavy strings as stated above. the jaguar was DESIGNED to fit .11s at a minimum.
No.

(Calling Ped)
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID