so i have an alvarez acoustic at the moment, but i've played for four years now, and i was wondering if buying a 12 string wound be worth it. i want to "expand my horizons" so can i have some suggestions, what are the ups and downs to the 12 string? is it hard to learn after using an acoustic? what's a decent price range when looking at a guitar thats alright. not great, not awful?
I played a cheap one at my local music store, well worth it, they sound a dream

x
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
I have a washburn 12 string acoustic, and i got pick-ups put it, (selling for 350 btw) and its a lush gorgeous sound, the only thing is, you'll find playing anything you traditionally play on acoustic, such as slow and melodic arpeggios, are a lot harder to get to sound good, because its inasanely difficult to hit the single straings as they are TINY!, but as far as a chord instrument i adore it.

Totally worth it
No, that's like 6 more strings to play. Why would you want to do that?
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Quote by Agent-X
No, that's like 6 more strings to play. Why would you want to do that?
I don't think you know what a 12 stringed guitar is. It's just like playing 6 strings, just has an octave higher also.
what is a decent 12 string price? are they way more expensive than just normal guitars? So would it be really hard to learn after playing acoustic?
You either like the sound of a 12 string, or you don't. You're the only one that decide if it's "worth it." Seagull, Yamaha and Martin have pretty good offerings for well under $600. Alvarez makes one for $329. It's the least expensive one on Musician's Friend, by the way. If you had loads of cash to blow, I've heard the $1700+ Taylor's are amazing.
Alvarez, Simon & Patrick, and Yamaha are the brands I would look at for a moderately priced 12-string. I actually just bought an Alvarez AD60S-12 that I like very much.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
I was looking for a six-string, but found a really good deal on a used 12, so I bought it. I don't find there's any huge difference other than the very full sound, and my fingers get tired a little easier. I don't think there's much to learn about it really.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Made Of Metal
Alvarez, Simon & Patrick, and Yamaha are the brands I would look at for a moderately priced 12-string. I actually just bought an Alvarez AD60S-12 that I like very much.

i played an ad60s-12 the other day and it really is a great 12 string for only $350 bucks!

threadstarter... how much are you looking to spend? you can typically find some pretty decent 12 strings for around $350-$500.
Quote by Daniel Gonske
yeah, thats (300-500) around the price range I was looking to spend.

Well, having played every 12-string I could find in that range before deciding to buy the Alvarez AD60S-12, I would still suggest the Alvarez. In that price range the best three I found were:

Alvarez AD60S12- solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides

Yamaha FG720S- same materials (more or less)

Simon and Patrick Cedar 12- this one is a Solid cedar top on wild-cherry back and sides and has a radically different sound than I expected. The cedar combined with the 12 strings was super rich, but not quite as clear and ringing as the spruce top on the Alvarez I bought.

Hope you find one you like.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
what exactly is a 12 string??
is it a guitar with 12 strings why do they call it 12 string?????/how does it sound like?
Quote by Made Of Metal
Well, having played every 12-string I could find in that range before deciding to buy the Alvarez AD60S-12, I would still suggest the Alvarez. In that price range the best three I found were:

Alvarez AD60S12- solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides

Yamaha FG720S- same materials (more or less)

Simon and Patrick Cedar 12- this one is a Solid cedar top on wild-cherry back and sides and has a radically different sound than I expected. The cedar combined with the 12 strings was super rich, but not quite as clear and ringing as the spruce top on the Alvarez I bought.

Hope you find one you like.

excellent recommendations and advice here.