Page 1 of 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments

Out of all of the instruments in that HUGE list, there are only two that I would be interested in learning how to play which makes it simple for me, which is excellent:

1) Electric guitar

2) Drums

I am a college aged male and am purchasing an Ibanez for my first electric guitar. Thank god, there is a company that makes thin necks *bows to Ibanez*, but I still don't know if they are thin enough for me, lol.

The thing is, whatever instrument I play I want to be INCREDIBLE at it in time--none of this weekend guitar playing bull**** for me.

From the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger, my hands measure about 6.2 inches--just a tad over 6 inches, ya I know, wtf?

The thing that worries me, is as I progress and get to be able to *try* to do amazing things, I won't be able to fret what I need to; just anything related to my girl hands basically.

HELL, people complain about 7 inch hands and I have 6 inch hands!!! In guitar playing, that means A LOT.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just forget about the electric guitar and move on to the drums...I mean certain people are made for certain things and maybe I am not made for the guitar.

What do you guys think?
If you really want to play the guitar, play it. You shouldn't be straying away from the guitar because of your small hands. Hell, you should be motivated to kick the asses of guitar players with hands twice the size of yours!
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Give up.

No seriously though, most classical ways of playing guitar are not based on the size of your hand. since your left thumb is at the center back of your neck, you can reach everything easily. You might want to try playing western acoustic guitars, or electric (or any steelstring for that matter) since they tend to have necks that are less broad.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
You should be able ot play guitar fine, i mean my hands sort of average size and i can barely make the stretches in some Paul Gilbert songs (his hands are GIGANTIC though)

You just have to adapt how you play etc and you should be fine
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If you really want to play the guitar, play it. You shouldn't be straying away from the guitar because of your small hands. Hell, you should be motivated to kick the asses of guitar players with hands twice the size of yours!

I'd very much like to do that, but I am trying to be as practical as possible and I just don't know if it is physically possible to do so.

Just like I am not tall enough to play professional basketball or intelligent enough to be a part of Mensa.
Quote by philipisabeast
You should be able ot play guitar fine, i mean my hands sort of average size and i can barely make the stretches in some Paul Gilbert songs (his hands are GIGANTIC though)

You just have to adapt how you play etc and you should be fine

I should be able to play guitar fine yet you have average sized hands and can barely make the stretches in some songs, lol--I see.
Quote by Stukart
Give up.

No seriously though, most classical ways of playing guitar are not based on the size of your hand. since your left thumb is at the center back of your neck, you can reach everything easily. You might want to try playing western acoustic guitars, or electric (or any steelstring for that matter) since they tend to have necks that are less broad.

What do you mean classical ways of playing guitar?

I want to play gothic metal, symphonic metal, death metal, and things of that nature. Does what you say apply to this? Acoustic is gay as ****, so no way I'm going to be playing that, lol.
ive got pretty damn small hands aswell, and to be fair, im a pretty good guitar player. i kick peoples assess who have hands bigger than mine, and who have been learning more than me. it all comes down to how much you practice yourself man.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
If it really worries you you could still get a 3/4 size guitar

3/4 size electric guitar? Smallest guitar I've seen is the one I want to get which is an Ibanez RG2EX1.

See another example of my limitations that I have to be realistic about are the facts that:

- I have asthma and can't join the military (not saying I would want to but I can't)

- I have asthma and small lung capacity, so therefore I can't play instruments that require breathing
Go for drums man. The world needs more drummers. Guitarists grow on trees.
Quote by Danis1
ive got pretty damn small hands aswell, and to be fair, im a pretty good guitar player. i kick peoples assess who have hands bigger than mine, and who have been learning more than me. it all comes down to how much you practice yourself man.

I bet they aren't as small as mine though

Practice is a HUGE part of it definitely, but I just want to make sure there won't be any actual physical limitations you know? I want to make sure that I am on a level playing field with everyone else and if I practice hard enough I will be able to do the things they can do.

I wish someone would just come in here and tell it like it is so I can move on with my life, because I get the feeling that people are holding back and I really am going to end up being frustrated and struggling with this instrument like I would with a saxophone due to my asthma.
Quote by ElectricFiend

Just like I am not tall enough to play professional basketball

Pfft, Nate Robinson and Spud Webb are gonna double team yo' ass.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by HeliuM
Go for drums man. The world needs more drummers. Guitarists grow on trees.

Thank you fine sir--If I saw you in real life I'd want to give you a high five!

There are several reasons why I think I would be an amazing drummer:

1) Incredible sense of beat and rhythm

2) Amazing hand-eye coordination

3) I am ambidextrous (meaning I can do things well with both hands of course)

4) Very athletic (hey I swear drums require a bit of athleticism)

5) Quick movements

6) Able to keep time well

7) I like to hit things (but who doesn't, lol)

--------

Sure, I can make a list of reasons why I think I would be good at the electric guitar, but physically the drums just make more sense to me.

So, what do you guys think based on this post?

Move on to my second musical passion (drums), or go with my first musical passion (electric guitar)?
Quote by sashki
Yeah, that's very modest of you...

I dunno. I guess do "what your heart desires..."

Being modest is great, but I was just stating facts (no brag of course, please don't take it that way).

I would make a list of things I SUCK at, but that would take far too long, lol

My heart desires both, so it's a tough decision.

edit-

Also, I can sing *decently*, so I could probably manage backup vocals in a band if it was needed, so that is one reason why the guitar might be a better choice, but I really don't know.
Last edited by ElectricFiend at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by ElectricFiend
I should be able to play guitar fine yet you have average sized hands and can barely make the stretches in some songs, lol--I see.

I can barely play them if i'm not thinking and try to leave my fretting hand in one place

The greats learn how to position their hands and the best ways to move between notes, enabling them to do lots of stuff

You just have to work it out foryourself, if you're determined enough, then you can do it
By the sounds of your posts, you're already damning your prospects for the guitar because of your negativity, so go with the drums.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by ElectricFiend
Acoustic is gay as ****, so no way I'm going to be playing that, lol.

You're not making a great first impression...

Quote by ElectricFiend
Thank you fine sir--If I saw you in real life I'd want to give you a high five!

There are several reasons why I think I would be an amazing drummer:

1) Incredible sense of beat and rhythm

2) Amazing hand-eye coordination

3) I am ambidextrous (meaning I can do things well with both hands of course)

4) Very athletic (hey I swear drums require a bit of athleticism)

5) Quick movements

6) Able to keep time well

7) I like to hit things (but who doesn't, lol)

You also come across as incredibly arrogant. Just because you have these qualitites does NOT mean you'll be good at drums/guitar/whatever. You need to practice and learn techniques and movements that your muscles have never had to do before. You can't just pick up an instrument and be 'amazing' with it just because you have good hand-eye co-ordination or some such bollocks.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by Pure_Morning
By the sounds of your posts, you're already damning your prospects for the guitar because of your negativity, so go with the drums.

Nice name there
Quote by Pure_Morning

Most definitely not! I am just trying to get a realistic viewpoint about this because there have been far too many things in life I thought that for sure I could be amazing at, and did them for a long time, but in the end I just didn't cut it.

Before music my goal was to become a professional tennis player and I was a damn good junior player at around 13 or 14, but when I had to play against the 16 and 17 years olds when I was the size of a 13 year old, it was over for me. I could hit the ball like a beast out of hell and was bloody accurate, but I still couldn't keep up because they could do the same, but had huge wingspans and lots of power could be generated from their much larger bodies.

I kept it up until I could no longer do it, which was a dang shame.
this guy is pissing me off, just because u have small hands doesnt make u a crap guitarist, your saying if you had average hands you would be amazing?

arrogant twat
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by -February-Star-
You're not making a great first impression...

You also come across as incredibly arrogant. Just because you have these qualitites does NOT mean you'll be good at drums/guitar/whatever. You need to practice and learn techniques and movements that your muscles have never had to do before. You can't just pick up an instrument and be 'amazing' with it just because you have good hand-eye co-ordination or some such bollocks.

I don't like the acoustic guitar, simply my opinion.

As for quoting one of my posts and tearing it up like that, wow. I was just stating facts--please see this post to clarify: BELIEVE ME, I SUCK AT A LOT OF THINGS, LOL.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11276708&postcount=17

Never said I would be amazing just starting out, just meant that I might be more naturally inclined to become great at it in time.
Quote by ElectricFiend
What do you mean classical ways of playing guitar?

I want to play gothic metal, symphonic metal, death metal, and things of that nature. Does what you say apply to this? Acoustic is gay as ****, so no way I'm going to be playing that, lol.

>_>
You basterd.

Anyways, you can play all kinds of metal without big hands, although the solo's might be kinda hard.
def lepord drummer has one arm, still incredible, wow you have small hands tough ****
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
this guy is pissing me off, just because u have small hands doesnt make u a crap guitarist, your saying if you had average hands you would be amazing?

arrogant twat

Oh god, here we go again *sigh*

I could have average hands or big hands or the perfect size hands and still be a crap ass guitarist.

My question is simply this:

Do I have the same possible *potential* as someone with average size hands. I just mean if I practice hard as hell, do I have the physical capability to do what people with more average sized hands can do?

Sorry guys, I am used to posting on a forum where people are rude, crude, arrogant, etc., and I guess it has rubbed off on me a bit.

I do apologize.
i know a guitarist who has one hand, (his strumming hand) and he has a pick on the end and use his arm to pick strings, still a great guitarist, his band might be going places, just because of your small hands dont limit your capabilty, i warn you from past experiance, posting in the pit is sometimes dangerous
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
def lepord drummer has one arm, still incredible, wow you have small hands tough ****

Slightly irrelevant, but makes a lot more sense than your last post.

U mad, lol?
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
i know a guitarist who has one hand, (his strumming hand) and he has a pick on the end and use his arm to pick strings, still a great guitarist, his band might be going places, just because of your small hands dont limit your capabilty, i warn you from past experiance, posting in the pit is sometimes dangerous

The pit seems pretty harmless to me, rofl--I mean, every single post I make I have to hold back because I am afraid people won't be able to handle it (I really just don't want to offend anyone here), but I must say:

Excellent post fine sir--that is incredible!
Well if you did let loose you'd get banned so announcing that is as pointless as it snowing and still being a sunny day

It's simple, what would you rather play, drums or guitar? Your hand size shouldnt matter, you see 7/8 year olds shredding on youtube and so its achievable if you have small hands
You go from obnoxious braggadocio to childish whining post to post.

Really, size of your hands doesn't matter. They'll grow. Learn the harp, or something.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by ElectricFiend

Before music my goal was to become a professional tennis player and I was a damn good junior player at around 13 or 14, but when I had to play against the 16 and 17 years olds when I was the size of a 13 year old, it was over for me. I could hit the ball like a beast out of hell and was bloody accurate, but I still couldn't keep up because they could do the same, but had huge wingspans and lots of power could be generated from their much larger bodies.

I kept it up until I could no longer do it, which was a dang shame.

hahahahaha, my friend sounds just like you... almost 14, and about the size of a 11 year old. Tiny, tiny, tiny compared to me. We look so similar, but he's just way smaller than me.
I reckon you'll be fine so does the rest of the internetz...there for gtfo and learn w/e the F--- you want!
Quote by Dinkydaisy
You go from obnoxious braggadocio to childish whining post to post.

Really, size of your hands doesn't matter. They'll grow. Learn the harp, or something.

I'm 19 and they are going to grow--now that really is wishful thinking, lol. God, I wish people would stop thinking I was bragging. If you read the whole thread you would see that I am not.

Funny you say the size of your hands doesn't matter yet you say that they will grow and to maybe learn the harp instead

Look everyone, there are limitations in life and there aren't always ways around them which the overly optimistic people at UG sure seem to think so.

Examples:

- If you are a 5'3 adult male who weighs 100 pounds and wants to become a professional football player, you probably aren't going to make it, lol. Sure, the person could probably find a league to play in with small people, but that just isn't quite the same as the NFL, now is it? Best the person can do relative to him, but I think you get the point.

- It's like saying a person with the IQ of 80 can somehow do complex math such as vector calculus and number theory. Sure, they can maybe do some adding and multiplication, but not quite up to snuff--they person simply wasn't meant for that. Nothing wrong with it, it is just fact, not fiction (last 3 words from DCFC song, lol)

- It's like saying that if a 6'6" basketball player can make the college team just because he is tall, but has no skill, and he might practice for hours and hours every day of his life

With some things in life, I don't give a **** how long and hard you practice, it just isn't possible. With other things in life that isn't the case, but don't you guys see where I am heading?

ALL I want to know is if I stand a chance at the electric guitar in the physical aspect? Hell, even if I *had* good size hands I still might suck ass, I just want to know about the physical. Is that really so hard for you guys to understand?

I know guitar players who have big hands, played for years and still suck ass.

YOU MUST FACE that some people are meant for certain things and are naturally inclined to them while other's aren't and are naturally inclined to do well at other things.

Does that make sense?

BTW, I SUCK ASS AT SO MANY THINGS you would not believe, but I am good at some things, which I suspect is the same with you guys if you are human.

*EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST*
Last edited by ElectricFiend at Oct 28, 2007,
lots of people think having big hands is amazign for guitar. Well sure in some cases but not always.
My hands are pretty small too. Actually, just my fingers...and I play bass, so it's even harder for me bud. However, I manage just fine, and would say I have twice the skill of many bassists with normal or big hands. It's all about application man, and making use of your weak points. Small fingers means nimble fingers. Nimble fingers means easier legato, and working the neck becomes easier as well. Maybe reaching across fretts and forming difficult bar chords is tougher, but it's still doable.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by ElectricFiend
I'm 19 and they are going to grow--now that really is wishful thinking, lol. God, I wish people would stop thinking I was bragging. If you read the whole thread you would see that I am not.

Funny you say the size of your hands doesn't matter yet you say that they will grow and to maybe learn the harp instead

Look everyone, there are limitations in life and there aren't always ways around them which the overly optimistic people at UG sure seem to think so.

Examples:

- If you are a 5'3 adult male who weighs 100 pounds and wants to become a professional football player, you probably aren't going to make it, lol. Sure, the person could probably find a league to play in with small people, but that just isn't quite the same as the NFL, now is it? Best the person can do relative to him, but I think you get the point.

- It's like saying a person with the IQ of 80 can somehow do complex math such as vector calculus and number theory. Sure, they can maybe do some adding and multiplication, but not quite up to snuff--they person simply wasn't meant for that. Nothing wrong with it, it is just fact, not fiction (last 3 words from DCFC song, lol)

- It's like saying that if a 6'6" basketball player can make the college team just because he is tall, but has no skill, and he might practice for hours and hours every day of his life

With some things in life, I don't give a **** how long and hard you practice, it just isn't possible. With other things in life that isn't the case, but don't you guys see where I am heading?

ALL I want to know is if I stand a chance at the electric guitar in the physical aspect? Hell, even if I *had* good size hands I still might suck ass, I just want to know about the physical. Is that really so hard for you guys to understand?

I know guitar players who have big hands, played for years and still suck ass.

YOU MUST FACE that some people are meant for certain things and are naturally inclined to them while other's aren't and are naturally inclined to do well at other things.

Does that make sense?

BTW, I SUCK ASS AT SO MANY THINGS you would not believe, but I am good at some things, which I suspect is the same with you guys if you are human.

*EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST*

Figures, no one has a response...
man this guy is so arrogant why dont u just not lern any
Squire obey telecaster
monterey stage strat
randall rg40
Page 1 of 3