I dont know the first thing bout replacing my pups. I play mostly metal and heavy distortion, but on the rare occasion I flick over to a warm clean sound. Does this effect the kind of pups I get?
And I have 3 single coils currently. Whats the difference between single and double coil.

Any help would be awsome.

Cheers.
if your interested in metal think about the emg 81 and 85, they're what most metal players use (kirk hammet, zakk wylde)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
No, that was some bad advice he gave you there. If you've got three single coils, you're stuck with single coils unless;

a) You completely chop apart your guitar to make room;or
b) You find some humbuckers designed to fit into a single coil slot - such as the ones used by the guys in Iron Maiden - like these - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/shr-1n-hot-rails-for-str/10526
Also:

- humbuckers (double coils) that are made to fit in single coil spaces, will never fully achieve a true humbucker sound. Similarly, P-90s, which are large singe-coils, will never be quite the same as a traditional single coil... bear this in mind. You may be happier getting a guitar capable of using true humbucker pickups, rather than making do with single-coil sized double coils.

- Active pickups (like the EMG 81's and 85's mentioned above) need batteries to power them. For some people, this is no problem; other people do mind having to care for batteries too though. Then there's the issue of having a space in your guitar for the batteries...
Additionally, you need a damn good amp to get any use out of active pickups like these. They will sound terrible through any cheaper amps; my rule of thumb is, unless you're playing in front of crowds of 1500+ and if you have a big amp wall backing you up with top-quality professional gear, you're not going to get the best out of active pickups and you will be better off with passive (non battery powered) pickups instead.

- What your guitar is specifically (wood, cut, bridge type, etc) has just as much of an effect on your tone as your pickups do. Keep this in mind.

- Your amp dictates your sound more than anything else. Consider changing this before changing pickups. Especially if you have a cheap amplifier, better pickups won't make the slightest bit of difference.
Of course they'll make a difference. My Squier vs my Ibanez using a middle single coil sounds much different on the same amp, even if it is just a Spider II.
Quote by StiltonCheese
Of course they'll make a difference. My Squier vs my Ibanez using a middle single coil sounds much different on the same amp, even if it is just a Spider II.

Not necessarily they won't. Also, the difference might not be worth the money spent when compared with the difference a new amp might make.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok so I have 2 singles and I can make room for a double. Im not changing my amp.

So I need a passive humbucker pup and 2 single coils. What are good/popular combinations for this?

Cheers for any help guys.
Why won't you change your amp? If the amp is the reason things don't sound the way you want then pickups aren't going to change matters and you've just wasted your money.

You're going to regret changing pickups if you don't have a pretty decent amp because they won't make the kind of difference you're expecting, although a bridge humbucker is always nice to have....just don't expect a $150 pickup to give you $150 worth of improvement.

For what it's worth, Duncan Custom Custom, Dimarzio Norton or Dimarzio Breed in the bridge, I'd just keep the stock singles for the time being.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try sticking with singles for now my friend. Look around for a better amp, as people have set...going to "actives" without the proper equipment, while you know you may have the better setup going right now...it still comes down to the amp.

But you'll make the best decision for you, and that's all that matters bro.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Quote by steven seagull
Why won't you change your amp? If the amp is the reason things don't sound the way you want then pickups aren't going to change matters and you've just wasted your money.

You're going to regret changing pickups if you don't have a pretty decent amp because they won't make the kind of difference you're expecting, although a bridge humbucker is always nice to have....just don't expect a $150 pickup to give you $150 worth of improvement.

For what it's worth, Duncan Custom Custom, Dimarzio Norton or Dimarzio Breed in the bridge, I'd just keep the stock singles for the time being.

+1
Good advice.