Are they any good? My co-guitarist is looking for something to replace his Spider III with, but he's kind of a gear n00b (hence why he was tricked into buying a Spider in the first place) so I thought I'd do some research for him. Are they any better than other companies solid-state tube wannabe ****?

If anyone has alternative suggestions for a loud, versatile, good-sounding amp (we play everything from Zep to Children of Bodom) for under $400 or so, that'd be nice too.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
personally i have a crate gx212 and i really enjoi the sound been playing with for three yrs and i see no reason to get a stack cuz it does everything i need it to but i doubt they make it anymore but crates flexwave technology does emulate tubes pretty well i like the sound i get and it'll definitely cover from zep to bodom just dial it in right and you're good to go
I have the SX100.

my $0.02: It's the best solid-state that I've tried, and definitely the best in the under 400 (or even 500) range. It's not a modeller, simply a solid-state trying emulate the sound of a tube amp, not specific amps. The sound is definitly versatile, especially thanks to the blues switch (if you get a 3 channel version it has a blues channel which is much more useful.) It CAN do Zeppelin and Bodom, as long as you EQ it right.

if you have any other questions PM me
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Thanx a ton...now I just have to convince him to buy it.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Yeah, the Carvin is an amazing amp, very versatile. But(it could judt be mine) i think they have some reliability problems. One of the mosfets in mine burnt out, so i sent it back to get fixed, got it back and it was great. But after 5 weeks the exact same thing has happened again. I may have gotten a lemon, but they are amazing sounding amps.

Also try the Peavey Bandit, they're really good also.