Well trying to get ahead in slapping, Ive come across the technique of 'Double Thumb'.
Im trying to do it but it dosent seem to be giving a slappy sound, it gives more of a harmonic sound when I try it.
Anybody have a lesson/explanation they could give me?
You're probably hitting a harmonic node (I think that's what it's called) on the string, try hitting the string in a different place.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
You're probably hitting a harmonic node (I think that's what it's called) on the string, try hitting the string in a different place.

That mostly happens on the G string, Ive moved a bit and used I bit more strength, and it sounds better.

But I need to learn how to do the up motion better.

Edit: Im starting to think my action is too low, and that might be whats causing the harmonics....
Can anyone back me up on this hunch?
Last edited by Waters? at Oct 28, 2007,
It depends what kind of double thumb you're after. I've gone ahead and classified the two types I'm aware of. The Wooten and The Miller. the Wooten is when you slap the string down and then slap from the bottom up. I gives a very crisp hard sound. The Miller is using you're thumb as a pick and it gives a smoother softer sound. I personally think you're trying to do The Wooten but are doing The Miller.

Actually Ive been trying to learn 'Power' by Miller.
Wooten is simply crazy slapping upwards.
Ah, then you are doing The Miller. I guess I was wrong. In that case, Max was probably right and you were hitting the string on a node point, which, contrary to popular belief don't stop at the frets. It sounds as if you've solved it pretty much. Good luck learning Power. I've always loved it.