*(I thought I would put this in the metal thread, i didnt know where else)

2 of my friends said Serj Tankian sold out with his new solo CD. if anything, he got LESS mainstream.

I defended well, Atreyu sold out with lead sails (Atreyu is their fav, mine is SOAD) They said no, and didnt have any reason.

Then they accused SOAD of selling out w/ mesmerize/hypnotize, and I said they got LESS mainstream and even if they changed, artists develop, unlike atreyu who changed for making money.

what are your views? i just want to win this argument with having proof from the trusted UG public
ehmm... I don't see how SOAD got less mainstream with Mesmerize & Hypnotize?

EDIT: oh and I don't think this thread belongs here as SOAD are considered nu-metal here and Atreyu metalcore
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Selling out does not equal getting money. It means whoring yourself out to get money/being something your not to get money. Even if you don't get money when you ***** yourself out, you're still a sellout. On the other hand, if you're just being yourself and happen to get rich, that's not selling out. So it depends on whether or not they changed their sound/*****d themselves out.
Quote by Kepulix
ehmm... I don't see how SOAD got less mainstream with Mesmerize & Hypnotize?

EDIT: oh and I don't think this thread belongs here as SOAD are considered nu-metal here and Atreyu metalcore

i thought i'd split the difference and come here...

SOAD isnt nu-metal, i hate when people call it that. I would say alternative metal, but w/e theres no point arguing like I always do w/ my friends.
my views are that they are not metal and therefore do not belong in this forum. whew. (buuuuuuuuuuut i rate soad's mesmerize/hypnotize were utter poo. at least their first few releases kept me entertained. atreyu make me wanna vomit blood)
^Grammar Nazi fucked up. It's "I'm", not "i'm". No biggie though
Both bands do NOT belong in this thread. Not my decision, it's the almighty's word that said bands don't go here.
Ah, but you see, Metallica started off as a "true" metal band. Hence there inclusion. Same deal with In Flames. Give up dude. Many much smarter and more interesting have argued with the mods on this topic. It is epic fail to argue with them.
Quote by Magero
^Grammar Nazi fucked up. It's "I'm", not "i'm". No biggie though
Both bands do NOT belong in this thread. Not my decision, it's the almighty's word that said bands don't go here.

Well done!

Also managed to totally mis-spell 'exist'.
This is in the Metal forum why?
Edit: Just because your band became less mainstream after releasing the said albums doesn't necessarily mean thats what they intended. For all you know they could have been trying to make more money and become mainstream, perhaps it just didn't work as well as they'd hoped.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by cobain_is_king at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Alix_D
Well done!

It's actually 'misspell'
Quote by Alix_D
Well done!

*Claps for you*

Quote by bobslip
It's actually 'misspell'

haha
*Claps even harder*
Last edited by Magero at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Magero
^You forgot the full stop at the end of "right", just before the smiley.

Nah, smilies count as full stops on t'internet, but nice try
SILENCE KNAVE! Be ye of that little faith in thine holy skills of grammar, that ye believeth of using of the smiley as a full stop. Bah, humbug to thee.

Quote by Magero
SILENCE KNAVE! Be ye of that little faith in thine holy skills of grammar, that ye believeth of using of the smiley as a full stop. Bah, humbug to thee.

Oh...Sod off

Sell out = sticking to a recipie that earns you money
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by Mongochromat

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read today. So you're saying that a band like Deicide, who sticks to the same thing over the years, and gets money for it is a sell out? Bad definition.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Possibly the dumbest thing I've read today. So you're saying that a band like Deicide, who sticks to the same thing over the years, and gets money for it is a sell out? Bad definition.

No, I call them repetative pussies.
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by Mongochromat

To further elaborate before more people like contraband comes and cries:

When you do something that go against your own personal believes to cash in money. As long as you always do what you want a band should never be called sell-outs. Even though they may appear at MTV and such IMO.