I keep hearing people talking about analog pedals, and digital pedals.

What's the difference? Is one more "better" sounding?
analog is supposed to be more real

so yes better sounding
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Digital pedals use computer chips to model different sounds where as analog pedals use circuitry and vacuum tubes (not too sure on my terminology, you get the idea though.) You can get a wider variety of sounds with a digital pedal, but analog pedals will sound more authentic.
a digital pedal has an Analog to Digital conververter, ADC, that takes the signal and breaks it down into it's mathematical equivalent. It then manipulates that signal to do produce it's desired effect, and reassembles the numbers into an analog signal with a digital to analog converter at the end (DAC). You can manipulate a digital sequence a lot easier than an analog signal, so digital ones can usually do more with the effect, ie reverse delay, longer delay time, etc... The quality of the sound for a digital pedal depends how good the ADC and DAC converters are, since they are breaking down and reassembling the signal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks for the quick reply, guys.

I kinda get it, so the digital pedals can get more sounds, but the analog will sound better?

Also, does anybody know if the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man is analog or digital? Same with the Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man Delay with Hazarai, is that analog or digital?

Thanks for helping a newb out.
its up to you what sounds better man.
the dmm is analog. the smm with hazarai is digital.
Quote by bewareofwario34
I kinda get it, so the digital pedals can get more sounds, but the analog will sound better?

not necessarily, if it has a very high sampling rate, it can be very close to the original signal. It's more dependent on the actual pedal, than whether or not it's digital or analog. Most recordings these days go thru digital conversion at some point anyway.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^^ the DMM just boasts analog circuitry and warmth. if it didn't, well then they'd be lying...

still not entirely sure what the new hazarai thing is, i'm just assuming it's a new digital component used.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by bewareofwario34
^^ Im just curious, how did you find out that the DMM is analog and the smm is digital?

im a delay guy.

and hazarai is just yiddish for "all the bells and whistles" because of all the features in the new smm.
ah, back to my old standby. heres something i typed up a while ago (and saved cause im cool like that):

Analog vs. Digital
the true difference between analog and digital: analog is continuous and digital is discreet. now before you start going, wtf does that mean, let me explain. analog takes your signal and runs it through a bunch of components to give the propper effect. things like capacitors, resistors, transistors, and diodes are all used to control the voltage and current of the signal coming from the guitar.

digital instead converts your guitar signal into digital information, then runs it through digital filters to manipulate the sound. then this new data is converted back into an analog signal and sent to your amp.

again, you are probably wondering wtf that means for your pedal. it means that analog is going to what it does to the whole signal, but is limited in what it can do. you cant do more than space allows (such as having a very long delay time). also it will not be perfect because the components are not perfect, but fall within a tolerance. now this is actually what gives analog a warm sound, so this imperfection is actually good. now with digital it breaks the signal into pieces, so you lose everything between those pieces. now usually you wont lose much because a good sampling rate is used, but the loss is still there (even if not always apparent). then the signal is going to be affected the same way each time (not counting signal errors) because you are simply manipulating 0's and 1's. this is why some people feel digital sounds a bit sterile. the up side is you can do so much in such a small space that the possibilities are almost endless. you can also have very fine control over many different variables, which isnt always possible in analog.

conclusion: both have their places and uses. one cannot always be said to be better than the other because they are different. instead of worrying about analog versus digital, see what pedals sound good to your ear and what pedals do what you want, then buy those.