so one of my band members wants a synth player for our hardcore/screamo band "houston we are the problem" and i on the other hand am completely against it. all of the other band members are indifferent they dont care what happens. do you think that adding a new member should be an agreement or a "majority rules" thing?
Synths are nice. Give it a try.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
seems like he's doing it to make your band seem "cool" like most bands these days.

if your music sounds good without it, don't bother, if it seems like it could use more, go for it!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Hopefully an agreement thing because never too fun to play in a band you don't like. Don't be afraid to experiment with it a little bit though.
GMO INC.
but its not original. a whole bunch of bands use them. mostly ones we play with do. it seems useless. it can do nothing but make our sound worse.

cuz were AMAZING without it
Quote by whosamerica
but its not original. a whole bunch of bands use them. mostly ones we play with do. it seems useless. it can do nothing but make our sound worse.

cuz were AMAZING without it

well if thats what you think, just say, no, we dont need one. and leave it at that
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
"Houston We Have A Problem" thats not a very original band name.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
but its fake. its like simulated computer noises. like. whats the point? (another thing is that i dont like the whole 6 peice band thing. we already have five people....)
I hate screamo...
but anyways, why the **** not?
it adds something to the sound
may sound better, may sound worse
Quote by thycrusader
"Houston We Have A Problem" thats not a very original band name.

were called "Houston we ARE the problem"
Quote by whosamerica
but its fake. its like simulated computer noises. like. whats the point? (another thing is that i dont like the whole 6 peice band thing. we already have five people....)

you are pissing me off.

Keyboards are not simulated computer noises. Why dont you learn something before you go bashing keyboards. Keys are just as hard to master as any other ****ing instrument you can play. And to make them sound good you need skill. you need mixing skill, designing skill and you need a ****load of creativity. Simulated computer noises are bull****. Synths are behind just about every song you hear, whether you think they are or not. Theyre always there. ALL of the hardcore bands you listen to have synth in theyre recording to support the guitars and such. And whats the difference between taking a keyboard and runnning it through a bunch of sounds or taking a guitar and running it through a bunch of sounds/pedals. If you dont want a keyboardist thats fine but please dont insult an instrument people have spent years of their life mastering.
I would just invite the synth guy over to jam and see how it sounds. Remember, synths don't have to be the most pronounced instrument. You could almost think of it as a second bass because it really helps to fill out the sound a bit more. You could also achieve some eerie harmonies with it if you're into that sort of thing. You could even use the organ setting on the keyboard for an awesome intro.

All I'm saying is that you should just try it out. You might like it. If you don't, it isn't permanent.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
The more people you have in your band, the more versatile you are. If you are very stubborn and must only have guitars and drums in your band then that's your decision, but having another player can only allow you to go further musically.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
synths r effin sweet man! linkin park has one, and it sounds amazing, you should give it a go, it sounds computerish but hell, who cares, it gives a good texture to your music, and makes it unique in a way
and linkin park also has 6 members, but hey, they're awsome, probably because they mix so many genre's together, thats another thing you could do, get a keyboardist who can rap, and mix that in...linkin park does that, plus they sing and then they occasionally scream and hey, they're like the best band in north america and most of europe right now
Quote by guitar_hero543
and linkin park also has 6 members, but hey, they're awsome, probably because they mix so many genre's together, thats another thing you could do, get a keyboardist who can rap, and mix that in...linkin park does that, plus they sing and then they occasionally scream and hey, they're like the best band in north america and most of europe right now

You make me want to laugh and cry at the same time.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
maybe one of you 5 can learn to play synth and do it like franz ferdinand, the other gutiarist plays synths in some songs and the switches fast to guitar.
Looking for a new sig!
Needs to be an agreement on everyones part. There could be quite a lot of irony later on. For example in a majority rules, then well say one member doesn't agree with the new member. So then you guys go and add this new member, so than say 6 months down the road, the same thing happens, this time the person which was opposed gets outvoted again, except hes outvoted because of the new members added input. Understand?
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
Meet halfways and get someone to play accordion. =]

haha, i can play accordion, no joke, my mom wanted me to take it when i was younger cause we inherited one from my gramma lol thats actually a good idea though, you could be like wierd al :P
Quote by whosamerica
but its fake. its like simulated computer noises. like. whats the point?

Your fake...

I think you shouldnt be talking to us about this. These forums should help you decide between things, not just you trying to get people to reinforce your point. Youve got your mind made up already, go tell your band not us.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Oct 29, 2007,
Look apparently this is gonna be a useless post, but you might be amazing with 5 people, if a synthesizer person knows how to use it, you could be even more amazing. You see, it's nt the instrument that counts, it's about the unity that a musician can be with his instrument. I'ts all about the unity and harmony of things....

Basicaly what I'm saying is... Give it a try for Pete's sake
Quote by alaub1491
you are pissing me off.

Keyboards are not simulated computer noises. Why dont you learn something before you go bashing keyboards. Keys are just as hard to master as any other ****ing instrument you can play. And to make them sound good you need skill. you need mixing skill, designing skill and you need a ****load of creativity. Simulated computer noises are bull****. Synths are behind just about every song you hear, whether you think they are or not. Theyre always there. ALL of the hardcore bands you listen to have synth in theyre recording to support the guitars and such. And whats the difference between taking a keyboard and runnning it through a bunch of sounds or taking a guitar and running it through a bunch of sounds/pedals. If you dont want a keyboardist thats fine but please dont insult an instrument people have spent years of their life mastering.

Give it a try, dude.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Have the synth, it'll be something different. If it doesn't work out , it doesn't matter. At least you tried.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yeah go for it, i use it. why not? if you can add something to a song to make it sound better
if you have someone in the band that can play synth, just get a synth record the synth part to a looping machine and use that when you play live, that way you don't have the extra ego, but if you don't like that idea i'd say give it a shot, alot of songs have synths in them, so that will make your covers sound even better.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
try it. And find a sound that blends with what you're doing already, that's probably the more important thing.
well thats kinda something where every one needs to agree but i dont think i syth player would be bad cause you can go farther is you have a unique sound and a syth would do it
Quote by whosamerica

Adding a sixth person in my mind is productivity suicide
I'm with the "just have someone already in your band pick up a synth." That way, you don't have to add in a new person, and every song won't be forced to have a part for it.

If nothing else, why get a synth player to come and jam with you for a practice? Preferably one that is already committed to something, so you can see what it sounds like without haveing to go "sorry, dude, we don't want you" later.
He's trying to make you Enter Shikira.

You must kill him.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
synths can be either your best freinds or your worst enemies. ive seen bands that were awesome with synths and bands that the synths were their biggest problems. it can go either way. id give it a shot and see what it sounds like.
Quote by whosamerica

no its not.....
watever, Nevermind
Quote by whosamerica

What do mean by fake? It's an instrument isn't it?
You could say that an electric guitar with different effects peddles is fake compaired to an acoustic.