Absolutely huge thing....up to 850 passengers...

The biggest jetliner in the world touched down safely in Sydney on Thursday afternoon local time, seven hours after taking off from Singapore's Changi Airport on its inaugural flight. The Airbus A380, as tall as a seven-storey building, was finally carrying passengers -- a full 18 months behind schedule.

The 455 passengers, who had bid for their seats in a charity auction, enjoyed a party atmosphere on the luxury Singapore Airlines flight. The passengers were treated to champagne and caviar by the 30-strong crew, came from 35 different countries, with the oldest 91-year-old Leong Lou Teck, the youngest a 10-month-old baby. The first passenger on board was the highest-paying, Briton Julian Hayward, who had forked out €70,690 ($100,380). The plane carried two top chefs, one from Singapore and one from Sydney, who cooked up duck breast, lobster, wok-fried beef and noodles for the passengers.

"I'm a big airplane freak," one passenger, Ernest Graaff told Reuters, "I'm excited about being part of history." Australian Tony Elwood and his wife Julie relaxed in the comfort of their first-class suite, sipping Dom Perignon. "I have never been in anything like this in the air before in my life," he told the Associated Press.

The Airbus A380 can accommodate up to 853 passengers on an all-economy flight but Singapore Airlines had opted for more space and comfort with just 471 seats. The plane is fitted with 60 business-class seats and has 12 luxury suites for first-class passengers which boast flat-screen TVs and full-length beds with designer sheets. First class tickets will cost a whopping €14,000 the Singapore-Sydney route when it starts normal service on Sunday.

Singapore Airlines has ordered a total of 19 A380s and has the exclusivity of being the plane's sole operator for 10 months. It plans to open an A380 service from Singapore to London in February. The first of the giant jets was handed over to the airline on Oct. 15, 18 months behind schedule after wiring problems caused delays. The set back pushed the European planemaker into a loss and was partially responsible for 10,000 job cuts.

The A380 overtakes the Boeing 747 jumbo jet as the biggest in the world, a full 37 years after the US-made colossus first took to the skies in 1970. Some analysts have warned that building the gigantic plane, which can carry 72 cars on each wing, is the wrong way to go. "It's an expensive way to address a small market," Shukor Yusof of Standard & Poor told the Associated Press. He says that the market is likely to be dominated by mid-size aircraft, such as Boeing's 787 Dreamliner which has already secured 710 orders. In contrast Airbus has 180 orders for its A380 superjumbo, 55 of which will be going to Dubai-based Emirates.

Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

I dunno about you, but even though I know there's as much chance of it going down as a normal plane, which is very little, i would NOT get on that thing.

Hell no!

Sounds awesome for those passengers who aren't crazy and brick themselves at things though
Quote by chocolateman900
I dunno about you, but even though I know there's as much chance of it going down as a normal plane, which is very little, i would NOT get on that thing.

Hell no!

Sounds awesome for those passengers who aren't crazy and brick themselves at things though

Why not?

It would be great for long flights.

whoa
scary
im watching the tv show on it right now and then i saw this thread..
Zomg Titanic Ii
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by Child In Time
Why not?

It would be great for long flights.

Yer but i hate flying anyway, i get really paranoid about doing anything that could easily results in death, to me or anyone Ii happen to be with.

And that thigns bloody huge, just would feel like more chance of going down to me.
Eh...It just seems a little too big.

Odds are, it'll end up with some line of failures.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
It has a bar. So it's already better than any plane I've been on.

Quote by Td_Nights
Eh...It just seems a little too big.

Odds are, it'll end up with some line of failures.

Yeah, but hopefully not.

*is that 'poor bastard' talking about me in your sig?

Quote by Child In Time
It has a bar. So it's already better than any plane I've been on.

Yeah, but hopefully not.

*is that 'poor bastard' talking about me in your sig?

Haha,I just noticed you're in my Sig.

And no,it's the guy above...Look who shares his birthday.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
It's a bar with an airplane attached?

Awesome.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I'm flying with airbus next year...I dont know which type though...It might be the A340/A360... if they exist
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN