Has anybody replaced their plastic pickup rings with these and did they make any difference in sound/tone?
Quote by Invader Jim
Why would it sound any different? Even If it does, you prolly won't be able to hear it.

Well, let's see...metal instead of plastic? That's why.

I thought metal may ring through more and not be as dull as plastic. The ring is what transfers the vibrations from the body to the pickups.
Quote by dizturbed
Well, let's see...metal instead of plastic? That's why.

I thought metal may ring through more and not be as dull as plastic. The ring is what transfers the vibrations from the body to the pickups.

Where'd you get that information. I don't think thats true at all. The pickups magnetically pick up the vibrations of the strings, they don't physically vibrate. The pickup rings would do nothing. the vibrations reach the body at bridge, and the nut i would think.
Quote by mikiedaman
pickup vibration does nothing, it's string vibration that matters to tone.

If only the string vibrations matter to tone, then why do different body woods have different tones?

A mahogany body will have a lot deeper tone than a maple body. Since the rings connect the pickup to the body, then I thought it may make a difference, if very, very slight.

It would be helpful if someone would chime in that has tried both metal and plastic rings and let me know if there's any tone difference.
I modded a crap little Epi LP Junior for a friend of mine a while back and installed a metal (specifically, chrome-plated brass) pickup mounting ring on it, and I noticed absolutely no tonal difference on that.

Then, I changed the cheap plastic pickup rings on my Gibson Classic to metal (chrome-plated steel this time) ones, and I did notice the tone got a touch brighter when playing clean through the bridge pickup. I didn't notice any tonal difference ont he neck pickup though, and once even the slightest degree of overdrive was applied on the bridge, I stopped noticing the extra brightness. Really, the overall difference was less than the difference between new and week-old strings...
i changed from plastic to metal on my guit and the only difference is that you HAVE to make sure that the shielding is touching them or they will buzz from ground looping
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
wood effects the tone because your guitar is MADE of wood, the way that wood transfers the vibrations through effects the tone of the guitar.

your pickup rings are a tiny amount of your guitar, so they will not effect the way your guitar resonates
Quote by dizturbed
If only the string vibrations matter to tone, then why do different body woods have different tones?

A mahogany body will have a lot deeper tone than a maple body. Since the rings connect the pickup to the body, then I thought it may make a difference, if very, very slight.

It would be helpful if someone would chime in that has tried both metal and plastic rings and let me know if there's any tone difference.

Pickup rings don't do anything. Wood has an effect because the wood has some influence in the way the strings vibrate, there's also a small vibration in the pickup itself which contributes to the overall tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com