Page 1 of 2
HI everyone!!!
I'm planning on buying an awsome 100 Watt Tube amplifier thts good for metal, rock and stuff like that
My price range is from $900 - $1600
I'm currently using Ibanez GRG170DX guitar and i'll soon get the BOSS OD20 distortion pedal oh yeah...and i have an Ibanez TB15R amp right now (don't laugh lol)
My choice right now is Marshall JCM TSL100 head. Would it be a perfect choice for metal and rock?
Does this head come with a stack or something, cuz i don't think tht only heads can give up 100 Watts
If it doesn't come with a stack like 1960A or somthing then reccommend me some kind of stack
If u know something better for metal than the JCM2000 TSL100 then let me know
OH yeah...And make sure it's 100W and a tube
Thank u for ur attention fellow guitarists and musicians
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Oct 28, 2007,
you dont need 100 watts.
like really. you just dont.
most heads come on their own, and you'll have to buy the CAB (not stack) seperate.

I agree with the 5150/6505 suggestions, i recomend looking at Mesa Boogie.

as you insist upon 100 watts, try looking at
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Dual_Rectifier/dual_rectifier.html
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Last edited by Off-The-Heazay at Oct 28, 2007,
if you buy an amp in that price-range the BOSS OD20 pedal will be useless!!!
(and if you absolute want a destortion pedal than the rat is your friend!!! )

if you want one of the best metal amps, than buy an Engl Powerball
and not the Peavey 5150....though both have great destortion the powerball has awesome cleans too (whereas the Peavey sucks bad)
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 28, 2007,
maybe 100w if its an SS amp but hell no for tubes man 50 at the most and only if gigging
ebay for mesas maybe? engls are a good choice
kudos for not upgrading your guitar first
Do you live in the states?

If so, I would check out some Mesa Boogies.

You can find Single, and Dual rectifiers, Mark IV's, Mark IIIs, F-Series, and possibly a Roadking for $1600 if you buy used.

Peavey 6505/5150, XXX, or JSX are possible.

You can try out a Carvin V3 for 10 days and return it if you don't like it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I live in Estonia
Well ok, i'll check out the Mesa Boogies and ENGL's?
any suggestions on specific models?
50W will do
Oh, and any suggestions for pedals that give up a wide range of ditortions and overdrives?
do heads really give up 100w? dam thts powerful
ENGL Fireball or Powerball are, IMO, your best options. Tried the Fireball yesterday and fell in love with it
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Just read your whole post. you have no idea what you're talking about at all.

A head on it's own puts out 100w (provided it is a 100w head), but that doesn't put any sound unless its connected to a cabinet, which in turn does NOT increase the wattage
you'll be better off with a combo probably. 50w will do

If you must have a halfstack then check out avatar cabinets
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
You don't really need a pedal if you're looking into Mesa Boogie. Expensive though.

Marshall JCM
Peavey 5150 (6505)
Mesa Boogie Rectifier
ENGL Screamer

Or Budget

Peavey Valveking
Marshall DSL401

k?
k
but i do think i need a pedal....it's really annoying to switch from clean to dist by hand
i'm looking for something with a really wide range of distortions and overdrives (kinda like the OD20) so i can play all kinds of styles mostly rock, all kinds of metal etc.
how bout you get a 2 channel amp and a channel switcher
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Peavey JSX combo
Peavey 6505 (or a used 5150)
ENGL Screamer
Marshall TSL602
Marshall DSL401
Genz Benz El Diablo
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade (this is a hybrid not all-tube, but it sounds great)

All of the above are also available in a head version if you wan to buy that and a cabinet, but for some you wouldn't be able to afford the head + cab set-up
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
lol but i still can't get DIFFFFFFEEERENT distortions lol
right now on the top of my choices are:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall TSL602
Mesa Boogie Rectifier
Peavey 5150
Marshall 6505
Engl Powerball
which is best?
Quote by Ibarshall_X
k
but i do think i need a pedal....it's really annoying to switch from clean to dist by hand
i'm looking for something with a really wide range of distortions and overdrives (kinda like the OD20) so i can play all kinds of styles mostly rock, all kinds of metal etc.

it's called a footswitch.
you can get different distortions. you use the tone and volume knob on your guitar, it does wonders with a tube amp
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
ur not changing my mind u know lol
seriously...woul the OD20 really be so bad of a choice? it does have great features u know
oh yeah...and amp choice please (a few posts back, there are the choices)
^ because you're both arrogant and ignorant.

Metal Muff or proco rat would be a far better choice
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
mesa boogie roadster. It in my opinion beats everything on your list (and btw, Marshall doesn't make a 6505). 4 channels, 50/100 wats, and in my honest opinion, better tone than anything on your list. And it has lots of different distortions available.
Quote by TheShred201
mesa boogie roadster. It in my opinion beats everything on your list (and btw, Marshall doesn't make a 6505). 4 channels, 50/100 wats, and in my honest opinion, better tone than anything on your list. And it has lots of different distortions available.

In fact, 1 clean, 1 overdrive, 2 metal channels.

One of the few tube amps with 4 true channels. Pricy though. For the price of a new roadster you can get a used Roadking. Roadsters are still fairly new.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
the mesa boogie roadster looks hot but please don't forget tht my price range is max 1600 lol
Quote by Ibarshall_X
the mesa boogie roadster looks hot but please don't forget tht my price range is max 1600 lol

Living in Estonia, I believe it would be very expensive for you to get a Mesa Boogie. In the US they're about $1,900 new, over there it would probably be in the range of $3000+.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thts y the range is 1600 lol
i would say it's 2200 if i wouldn't include shipping and VAT lol
Quote by dickeskind
if you buy an amp in that price-range the BOSS OD20 pedal will be useless!!!

+1

what type of metal and rock do you play?

Also, might be a plan to spend a little of that cash (say about $400?) on a nice guitar too.

though obviously if you like your current guitar, and that $400 means you have to get a lesser amp, perhaps ignore that.

Quote by Ibarshall_X
ur not changing my mind u know lol
seriously...woul the OD20 really be so bad of a choice? it does have great features u know
oh yeah...and amp choice please (a few posts back, there are the choices)

the amp will have better tone than that pedal. What you're doing, to use an analogy, is buying a ferrari, and buying a ford engine to use instead of the ferrari engine. ridiculous, basically.

If you must get a distortion pedal, the Homebrew electronics big d is great- extremely versatile, footswithable solo boost, but more importantly good tone. However, I would get the amp first, as odds are you won't need a pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

the amp will have better tone than that pedal. What you're doing, to use an analogy, is buying a ferrari, and buying a ford engine to use instead of the ferrari engine. ridiculous, basically.

You and your analogies. =D

+1 to what you're saying though.

TS, Buy a footswitch with the amp you decide to buy. Some already come with footswitches.
I'd say about 75% of amps over $600 comes with a footwitch, no worries.

I think a better analogy would be buying a Cold Air for a Honda Civic. It might be able to enhance your powerband slightly but it's not going to make it any more appealing. Buy a real booster/distortion/OD pedal for a real amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You and your analogies. =D

+1 to what you're saying though.

TS, Buy a footswitch with the amp you decide to buy. Some already come with footswitches.

Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd say about 75% of amps over $600 comes with a footwitch, no worries.

I think a better analogy would be buying a Cold Air for a Honda Civic. It might be able to enhance your powerband slightly but it's not going to make it any more appealing. Buy a real booster/distortion/OD pedal for a real amp.

yeah, but I don't know anything about cars, so that analogy doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A better analogy would be it is like doing your sister and putting a bag over her head. That bag really doesn't help because, in the end, you are still doing your sister.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
ok....my choice is down to 3 amps
1)Engl Powerball (100W) ONLY HEAD + a CAB like 1960A or smthing
2)Peavey 6505 (60W) Combo
3)Marshall TSL602 (60W) Combo
The price range where these amps are at is the best
Just tell me what would be best from these 3 and i'm all good
As for the pedal:
Oh boy :S it's hard to get an answer i like
I don't like footswitch
could i just go with a Digitech metal master or grunge or smthing?
I acctually want a pedal tht i can play Metallica, Pink Floyd, Soad, CKY and bands like those , especially Metallica and Pink Floyd
But i also want to play blues and classic and pop stuff sometimes
A gain button doesn't give u these sounds It just controlls the distortion
Man i wish OD20 wouldn't suck
u can get all kinds of blues'i and pop stuff there, but if it sucks on a good amp then i wont buy it.....
Btw.....I am going to buy the amp in about a year or 2. i have plenty of time with my poopy-diaper amp would the OD-20 be good for the Ibanez TB15R amp for a bout 2 years?
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
A better analogy would be it is like doing your sister and putting a bag over her head. That bag really doesn't help because, in the end, you are still doing your sister.

rofl!!!! but i like doing my sister
take note i was only joking c(=
Quote by Ibarshall_X
ok....my choice is down to 3 amps
1)Engl Powerball (100W) ONLY HEAD + a CAB like 1960A or smthing
2)Peavey 6505 (60W) Combo
3)Marshall TSL602 (60W) Combo
The price range where these amps are at is the best
Just tell me what would be best from these 3 and i'm all good
As for the pedal:
Oh boy :S it's hard to get an answer i like
I don't like footswitch
could i just go with a Digitech metal master or grunge or smthing?
I acctually want a pedal tht i can play Metallica, Pink Floyd, Soad, CKY and bands like those , especially Metallica and Pink Floyd
But i also want to play blues and classic and pop stuff sometimes
A gain button doesn't give u these sounds It just controlls the distortion
Man i wish OD20 wouldn't suck
u can get all kinds of blues'i and pop stuff there, but if it sucks on a good amp then i wont buy it.....
Btw.....I am going to buy the amp in about a year or 2. i have plenty of time with my poopy-diaper amp would the OD-20 be good for the Ibanez TB15R amp for a bout 2 years?

Thats because the answer you want to hear is pure madness with the quality of amp you are going to be purchasing. You might as well get an amp with brilliant clean channel, AND THATS IT, with a distortion pedal. Which still wouldn't sound as good as any of those amps' own distortion.

Surely what matters is getting better distortion, not which way you get it?

EDIT: Oh, so THATS why you want a pedal, so you can try and make your old amp sound slightly better while you save up. Sureley it would make better sense to state this earlier? Just buy a BOSS DS-1 if you need more gain. Won't do much about your tone though, and you can't use it along with the amp's own distortion like you can with a tube.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Oct 28, 2007,
If you get one of those amps and run a distortion pedal like those you mentioned through it I will personally hunt you down and kill you.

Discard the Marshall from your list, compared to the other 2 its crap.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
ok...
so any suggestions for a pedal tht gives the tube amp a better sound?
oh and btw....i want a pedal because amps usually have only one kind of distortion as for me....i want many distortions....i like many distortions like the digitech grunge, death metal, metal master, hot rod, hot head etc. and many boss distortions
but if i only have a footswitch then i only have the distortion the amp has
and i don't like that
also.... the memory thing tht the od20 is one of my favorite features on tht pedal....i can change the distortion whenever i want
four numbers,

( Exact same as a 6505, i wouldnt go for the 5150II or the 6505+

I wouldn't go for the combo, people say you dont need 120 watts, which is sorta true but i live on 150 acres, with no nehibors for about a mile, so i can play loud as i want...i get some ear plugs and crank it.)

And honestly i dont ussally crank it to much but its nice to have all the power you'll ever need. Just my 2 cents, and i know someone will probally start some "THATS TO MUCH" B.s but idc.

you dont need a OD/distortion for it, its enuf gain for anyone.
Last edited by jimmy666page666 at Oct 28, 2007,
Page 1 of 2