Well,I've been looking at guitars online for a couple of months.I'm really disapointed in all the crap there is today.I've played alot of Ibanez,Jackson Imports,and Schecters and none of them are really what I'm looking for.

So recently I've been looking at 80s Charvel,Kramer,and BC Rich guitars

Would you guys like to point out models to look for and stay away from.

Also if it helps I play Heavy Metal like
-King Diamond
-Racer X
-Testament
-X Japan
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Helloween
-Blind Guardian,and
-Iced Earth.

I'll be getting a new amp next year.Probably a Ceriatone JCM 800 with an Avatar Cab.

Thanks for the help.
Paul Gilbert had a pink BC Rich in his Racer X days, although he primarily used his Ibanez guitars.

Also, you might want to add 80's Ibanez guitars to the list; they have different trems, neck profiles and such than the ones built today, so you might like them.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Yeah I really like RG770DX and RG565s but they are sorta rare on the bay.And when they do pop up they get snatched up quick.
Quote by Galapogos
Well,I've been looking at guitars online for a couple of months.I'm really disapointed in all the crap there is today.I've played alot of Ibanez,Jackson Imports,and Schecters and none of them are really what I'm looking for.

-King Diamond
-Racer X
-Testament
-X Japan
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Helloween
-Blind Guardian,and
-Iced Earth.

I'll be getting a new amp next year.Probably a Ceriatone JCM 800 with an Avatar Cab.

Thanks for the help.

Oh god,kill me.
Quote by Mr.Abomination
Oh god,kill me.

What you don't like them?Or are you surprised I do?
Quote by Galapogos
What you don't like them?Or are you surprised I do?

.....No there is nothing wrong ......
Charvel:

Look for:

Model 3DR/Predator (22 Frets, Bolt on, H-S, JT6 Floyd on 3DR, JT580 on Predator) $350 est
Model 4 (22 Frets, H-S-S, Midboost, JT6 Floyd, some have MOP sharkfins) $350-$400
Model 5 (24 frets, H-H, neck thru JT6 floyd) $450-500
Model 6 (24 Frets, H-S-S neck thru, MOP Sharkfins, binding) $550-$600
Any Jackson/Charvel Fusion series except for Fusion Special (Short (Gibson) Scale) $350-450
475 Series (All have Sharkies, blade switches and have the JT580, but otherwise like the Model 4) $450 est
650XL (Similar to the model 6, but with a blade switch and newer trem) $550+
750XL (Like the the Model 6, but H-H and with Schaller JT590 trem and a blade switch) $650 or more, but well worth the price and regarded the best import Charvel made.

Avoid:

275 (Crappy Trem, pickups)
Avenger (read above)
Fusion Special (Same Deal)

Anything Charvette unless its a solid body and you plan on replacing pickups + hardware

If you need more information let me know, I know a good bit about Jackson/Charvel guitars. Also check out this site:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm

For Kramer, avoid the Striker and Aerostar series. Most of them were plywood guitars with lame pickups and hardware, and but played well. Focus series were Made in Japan and are pretty nice. And of course USA Kramers are excellent as well. However I'm not too good on pricing with these. Aria Pro II are also worth a look. They made some really nice super strats on par with the Charvel Model 3/4, but lacked the nicer pickups of the Charvels. They can be had pretty cheap ( <$350 ) too.
Quote by Mr.Abomination
.....No there is nothing wrong ......

Ok then, You wanna help answer my question?
Quote by CJRocker
Charvel:

Look for:

Model 3DR/Predator (22 Frets, Bolt on, H-S, JT6 Floyd on 3DR, JT580 on Predator) $350 est
Model 4 (22 Frets, H-S-S, Midboost, JT6 Floyd, some have MOP sharkfins) $350-$400
Model 5 (24 frets, H-H, neck thru JT6 floyd) $450-500
Model 6 (24 Frets, H-S-S neck thru, MOP Sharkfins, binding) $550-$600
Any Jackson/Charvel Fusion series except for Fusion Special (Short (Gibson) Scale) $350-450
475 Series (All have Sharkies, blade switches and have the JT580, but otherwise like the Model 4) $450 est
650XL (Similar to the model 6, but with a blade switch and newer trem) $550+
750XL (Like the the Model 6, but H-H and with Schaller JT590 trem and a blade switch) $650 or more, but well worth the price and regarded the best import Charvel made.

Avoid:

275 (Crappy Trem, pickups)
Avenger (read above)
Fusion Special (Same Deal)

Anything Charvette unless its a solid body and you plan on replacing pickups + hardware

If you need more information let me know, I know a good bit about Jackson/Charvel guitars. Also check out this site:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm

For Kramer, avoid the Striker and Aerostar series. Most of them were plywood guitars with lame pickups and hardware, and but played well. Focus series were Made in Japan and are pretty nice. And of course USA Kramers are excellent as well. However I'm not too good on pricing with these. Aria Pro II are also worth a look. They made some really nice super strats on par with the Charvel Model 3/4, but lacked the nicer pickups of the Charvels. They can be had pretty cheap ( <$350 ) too.

Thanks!
Quote by jfloyd1879
Coming from someone who uses a Spider III 15 watt amp.

Dont spam my thread please!
Kramer, definetly.

80's Kramers blow all the other guitar from that period to smithereens.

Just be sure to get an american-series or american made Kramer. Something like a pacer, if zou are short on funds, but I recommend a Baretta. I, myself, have a 1987 Baretta I, and this is by far the best guitar I've had in the last 21 years. Beats every Gibson Les Paul and that Gretsch White Falcon with ease. Superior comfort, great tuning stability and most of all - great, full sound.

EDIT: A beat up Baretta will set you back some 500$, but if you catch a good one, you'll be more than happy.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
if you are rich, look into Caparison guitars, or want to spend a lot on guitars.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote
if you are rich, look into Caparison guitars, or want to spend a lot on guitars.

Caparison was not 80s. That said, one of the main guys (Itaru Kanno) who used to build MIJ Charvels and later Jacksons is the one who started Caparison, and they are still made/owned by Kyowa-Shokai, the company that owned the place C/J were made in Japan up until 1995.
DO NOT GET A MODEL 6 AFTER THE YEAR 1986. I have one, it's basically everything I want in a guitar but that's mainly because it has an awesome Kahler flushmount trem. The trems in the 1987+ manufacturs of the Model 6 have Licensed Floyds that hold out well, but still are much lower quality than the guitar itself.

That said, the Model 6 is easily the best guitar in the 80's Charvel line if you get a 1986 one. If your looking into Kramer, go for a Stagemaster but there hard to find. Note that the Floyd isn't routed so you cant bend it upwards on Stagemasters. The Poplar and Maple on the Model 6 is also really good quality, it actually sounds a lot warmer than most Poplar/Maple combinations. Also, they have an active mid-boost which is just a plain handy thing, especially for the Testament stuff. Pickups sound so much better with it in my opinion.
Last edited by JaeSwift at Oct 28, 2007,
Get a Gibson. Nuff said. You can get a V fairly cheap used around 500$ in good condition.
Quote by Galapogos

-King Diamond
-Racer X
-Testament
-X Japan
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Helloween
-Blind Guardian,and
-Iced Earth.

Thanks for the help.

Kramer help right here!

Basically- the models you want to avoid are Pre 1988 Strikers, Aerostars, Starfighters and ZX series.

Post 88 Strikers had Floyd Rose Pros and solid Maple bodies
The Focus line is the exact equivelant of the American models except with different tuners and pickups- thats it. They're GREAT deals for the money. They were also made by ESP
The American Series is also where you can't go wrong. Just about any guitar in this era is great. You have your Barettas, Proaxes, Stagemasters, Pacers, Nightswans- all of them great guitars with Seymour Duncan pickups, Schaller hardware and OFRs (with Nightswan II's and Proaxes having Floyd Rose Pros)
If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask me or check out the kramer forum
Not the B.C. rich.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by nebraskan
Not the B.C. rich.

BC Rich didn't suck in the 80's. In fact, they were relatively awesome. Only in the 90's did they learn to suck.

Also note that the 90's marked the beginning of the grunge and pop era, with metal going underground. COINCIDENCE? I think so.
Quote by easthatred
Get a Gibson. Nuff said. You can get a V fairly cheap used around 500$ in good condition.

Yeah thats what I meant by most guitars put out today are crap.

Anyways how are the Kramer Amercain Re-Issues?

And when I said BC Rich I meant like the old Gunslingers and Assasins stuff like that.
Quote by Galapogos
Yeah thats what I meant by most guitars put out today are crap.

Anyways how are the Kramer Amercain Re-Issues?

And when I said BC Rich I meant like the old Gunslingers and Assasins stuff like that.

If youre gonna get an old BC Rich make sure you avoid the "Class Axe" era. If I remember correctly they have a little ® logo at the end of the logo.

The new American Kramer's ****ing rock. I own two of them and have played all four of em. They capture the 80s vibe PERFECTLY! The necks on the 1984 are to die for. Easily the best playing neck I've ever felt- its very similar to an EBMM Axis or Peavey Wolfgang. The Jersey Star is based on Richie Sambora's signature model and that too sounds great, has a great neck on it and is versatile as hell with 3 humbuckers and coil taps. I plan on getting one of these pretty soon. The Baretta is also badass! It sounds killer and harmonics jump out. It has a real thin comfy neck- probably comparible to an Ibanez but less thin. Im dying for one of these too. Honestly, I may seem like a Kramer fanboy with this post but im not an easy customer to impress. If I didn't like it I'd come right out and say it.
You can't go wrong with the new US Collection