I mainly play bass but I have a crappy strat copy I mess around with every once and a while. Later today (once I can get over to Radio Shack) I'm gonna wire a killswitch into it for ****s and giggles. I know basic electronics and can solder so I figured while I'm in there I'd take out the neck pickup, cut a new slot next to the bridge pickup and wire the bridge and what was the middle pickup into a humbucker since I only use the bridge pickup anyway. I know I just have to turn one of them around and wire them in series but I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything cuz I don't wanna mess up my guitar even if its not that great. So can some one draw a little diagram in paint or something of which wire to connect where to wire the 2 single coils into a humbucker? Thanks ahead of time.
Last edited by Silver Hammer at Oct 28, 2007,
As I understand it, you can do so if one of the SC PUs is reverse wound and has a reverse polarity (RWRP); otherwise, I don't think it'll work like a humbucker.

I have the Lace Sensor Dually, a humbucker composed of 2 SCs ... in fact, you can split it to 2 separate PUs so you can use the RWRP one in the middle and it'll be hum canceling.

Anyway, wait for Corduroy to chime in, he makes teh br00talz PUs and some vintage ones, too.

just use the selector switch to select the middle and bridge pup. an inch aint goin to make a world of difference
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Ippon is right. It's not going to work the way you are planning to do it because your magnet polarity will be wrong but it can be done. What you will have to do is move the neck pickup to the middle position and use your middle pickup combined with the bridge for your humbucker.

To put in in series you just solder the 2 black wires together and tape them off. Then put 1 of the white wires to ground and the other to hot.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Ippon
As I understand it, you can do so if one of the SC PUs is reverse wound and has a reverse polarity (RWRP); otherwise, I don't think it'll work like a humbucker.

I have the Lace Sensor Dually, a humbucker composed of 2 SCs ... in fact, you can split it to 2 separate PUs so you can use the RWRP one in the middle and it'll be hum canceling.

Anyway, wait for Corduroy to chime in, he makes teh br00talz PUs and some vintage ones, too.

Correct on every point but one specific thing to do with Lace Sensors: the duallys aren't reverse-wound from each-other because they're 'noiseless' anyway. That and technically Lace Sensors aren't "wound"...

But (to thread starter) you said that was a strat right? Does it stop making so much hum on the selector positions 2 & 4? If so your middle pickup is reverse-wound and thus can be used for your plans.
if u wire two singles in parallel, itll function as a humbucker. And it helps if u have one of em reverse wound/reverse polarity. If u could do this, it would work like a HB, but have 12 pole pieces instead of 6 and 6 screws.
Quote by RadioMuse
Correct on every point but one specific thing to do with Lace Sensors: the duallys aren't reverse-wound from each-other because they're 'noiseless' anyway. That and technically Lace Sensors aren't "wound"...

But (to thread starter) you said that was a strat right? Does it stop making so much hum on the selector positions 2 & 4? If so your middle pickup is reverse-wound and thus can be used for your plans.

Yes and yes. So I think I got it. I'll check back with you guys once I actually do it.
Quote by qotsa1998
if u wire two singles in parallel, itll function as a humbucker. And it helps if u have one of em reverse wound/reverse polarity. If u could do this, it would work like a HB, but have 12 pole pieces instead of 6 and 6 screws.

If you wire two singles in series it'll function as a humbucker...that's all a humbucker technically is, two single coils wired together. Series is by far the more common method.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com