Hi, i am looking for an all tube amp to replace my solid state peavey bandit, it's a good solid state amp but i feel it is time to make the move to all tube.

I have an ibanez valbee all tube 5 watt practice amp but i want something a little louder for band practice. (when i say band practice i mean jamming with a drummer and another guitar player in my house).

I play a lot of metal so it would be ideal if the amp had a 12" speaker don't you think? Also an amp that could handle a good overdrive or distortion pedal would be awesome.

A nice clean channel is a must!

I was thinking of something in the 15-30 watt range, would this be good enough for bedroom practice and jamming situations? it would mostly be used for bedroom practice though.

the ability to power a cabinet would be cool but not essential.

My budget is £300.

Some amps i have considered so far are as follows:

Laney lc or vc series
Peavey valveking
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Junior
Epiphone Valve Standard
Peavey Classic
Marshall DSL401.

which of these would be the best for me do you guys think? would 30 watts or 40 watts be too much? should i definitely go for 15 watts?

i don't want to be having to replace speakers anytime soon so i good stock speaker would be ideal.

Please help.

CRATE PALOMINOS ARE HARD TO GET HOLD OF IN THE UK SO PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST THEM.

PS, i am selling my bandit, valbee and zoom g2 multi fx.
Last edited by Sepulturick at Oct 28, 2007,
Ermm.. You could wait until the Windsor Studio comes out (no idea when...), it might have better cleans than the head version. The Blues Junior is a great clean amp, but it might dirty up a bit when cranked. Also, it's not the best metalling amp. A good overdrive/distortion could put it into that territory though... I wouldn't completely recomend it unless you're happy with the tone you can get out of it.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Last edited by add45 at Oct 28, 2007,
Ive heard good things about the Valveking but i have yet to play it. i am in the same position myself actually!
LC15 should be ok for band practice, you might want the LC30 though, just for headrooms sake.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I think the marshall dsl or the peavey windsor are your best bet from the ones you listed. A used ashdown fallen angel is also worth a look, and the randall rg50tc (used)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I have a Marshall TSL 602, I couldn't want anything more perfect, it sounds better than a live show.
I would say the DSL for your needs. I play metal and have the VC30, but it needs to be pushed hard to get the proper metal sound from it. However, I absolutely adore the cleans on the VC30
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Can anybody clarify the amount of wattage i should be going for? thanks
Last edited by Sepulturick at Nov 1, 2007,
depends on how loud you'll be playing your cleans really, i mean, 30w is plenty for gigs when playing dirty, but you might want a 50 for clean headroom

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
depends on how loud you'll be playing your cleans really, i mean, 30w is plenty for gigs when playing dirty, but you might want a 50 for clean headroom

I will not be gigging at all and i rarely play cleans at high volume so that's not really important
then either a 15 or a 30 would be fine

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
then either a 15 or a 30 would be fine

so 15 or 30 would get me heard over a drummer in a small room?
Quote by Sepulturick
so 15 or 30 would get me heard over a drummer in a small room?

30w would get you heard and still give you some nice cleans if you happened to want them, but 15 might be a little small, depending on how hard your drummer likes to hit things.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Im going to have to say you should shell out the extra over the DSL 401 for a TSL 122, it gives WAY more versatility by just adding in that 1 channel, and i thought that the cleans were WAY better on the 122
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
A Valveking or a Windsor would fit your needs. Try them and others out.
Quote by kool98769
Im going to have to say you should shell out the extra over the DSL 401 for a TSL 122, it gives WAY more versatility by just adding in that 1 channel, and i thought that the cleans were WAY better on the 122

wouldn't any of the tsl amps be too powerful for my needs? wouldn't the dsl401 even be too powerful?
Quote by Sepulturick
wouldn't any of the tsl amps be too powerful for my needs? wouldn't the dsl401 even be too powerful?

Not neccicarily, they dont require power tube break up for metal tones, so you can keep the master volume at descent levels and still have it sound good
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
closed back = better bass response
open back = airy-ness
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
The Vox Valvetronix are good all-round amps, the effects and mods are great fun to play around with. Don't go for the XL, though, as it seems to be gain limited on the clean channels, so it's harder to make your own sounds.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by happy-and-lost
The Vox Valvetronix are good all-round amps, the effects and mods are great fun to play around with. Don't go for the XL, though, as it seems to be gain limited on the clean channels, so it's harder to make your own sounds.

I used to own a vox ad15vt and it was a great little practice amp but i have got my heart set on an all tube amp this time around. Comparing the sound of my valbee to the bandit (which i think is the best ss practice amp) it has really made me want a bigger tube amp
Well i went and bought an orange tiny terror head from ebay for £225 boxed as new. with £120 worth of phillips valves fitted.

need a cab now and probably a decent pedal if my current od pedal isn't upto the job
I'd like to re-ignite this thread. The orange tiny terror turned out not suitable for my needs especially since i needed to shell out for a decent cab. i did buy an epi valve junior cab but it wasn't good for metal at all.

since then i have had a used laney lc15 and a metal muff pedal. nice combo, can't actually remember my reason for selling them both.

ahh yeah remember now, the used tubes had had it and i needed to buy a full replacement set and then go to a techie to get them biased. that and i didn't have much room for all the pedals i had running into the laney (i don't mind the pedal side of things now)

i also had a flextone III which was good, lots of punch and great built in fx but i realised i could get a decent tube amp for the same worth as the flextone III.

i now have a vox ad30vt which is a cracking little practice amp but i have the funds burning a hole in my pocket and i still want tube tone!!

so please anymore suggestions would be great.
Quote by hot4teacher
man just get a valve king already.

lol i would consider it. i guess my main worry with the whole situation right now is wattage.

will 50 watts be too loud? will 30 be too loud even!!? will 15 be loud enough?

once i have worked out the ideal wattage i can start cancelling amps off my considerations list. not that i have a list really...