And can anyone show it to me? My principal claims he has "solid proof" it doesn't, and that unless we can show him some proof that it can, he's banning listening to iPods and such. Now, it doesn't really matter to me that much, but I figure the small amount of concentration music gives me while I work is worth it.

Thanks.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
Well it kinda goes against sense... I mean, I guess it depends on the music at hand and your own concentration.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by paintITblack39
Classical music does, apparently.

He speaks the truth.

Actually, for me, anything with lyrics distract me, which is why I do alot of my homework to Russian Circles.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
i read an article where some guy disproves that whole mozart thing, he had a pretty good arguement but i don't remember the details. personally, music distracts me. i can't do my homework with music on, it just completely grabs all my attention.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I much prefer singing along to music whilst I work (do homework, mind) than to do it in silence.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

I'm looking up the Mozart effect, however it is easy for my principal to combat that theory - none of us listen to classical music, haha. Well, I do, but...not generally.

Does anyone have any articles that prove that music in general helps concentration?
Quote by Angels Fighter

call me evan.

I do work well when I'm blasting music into my headphones. I think your principle is generalizing.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
What I have always heard is that the tempo must be 60 bpm or slower which allows relaxation. The tempo should be no faster than that.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Hmmm.... I can work well listening to any death metal, at full volume!
A7XS oad
Quote by lukephillips000
Just ignore him and listen to your music. Easiest solution.

Yeah, except he has all of the teachers on it too.
Quote by Angels Fighter

call me evan.

my music theory teach told us about the Mozart effect a month or two ago...

he also said that when they reverted brain waves into music it made some intense classical music as well as some Indian (dot, not the feather) music

my first thought?
sweet, my brain can play the sitar..
i find it does, because it blocks the distractions from others around you,
also, i can't work in complete silence, don't know why i just find it hard

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

I find it hard to concentrate in silence, so I pretty much have to listen to music while I do my work (Like I'm doing right now). I don't have any proof that it helps, though...
there where a few universety studies where they sat people in a room all w/music and they all did better on the tests. that is except for the reading...
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
It depends.

If you are in a distracting environment, the music can actually help you concentrate since it replaces unfamiliar noises with sounds that are familiar to you. You will thus be less distracted.

That being said, it has also been proven that if you study without music, you will do better on an exam without music. If you study with music, you will do better on an exam with music.

In other words, if you are in a quiet environment, don't listen to music. If you have to take the test in silence, don't listen to music.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Piro Gonzalez
Yeah, except he has all of the teachers on it too.

Music is banned in classes at my school, but i just dont let anyone catch me listening to it. Just stick in one earphone and dont put the volume up to high. Lots easier if you have long hair.
mr. marks is a white supremeist just plot a Mein Kampf and a kkk uniform and there you go.
wait mr.marks is the dean right?
i forget
I don't like as i lay dying
It depends on the individual. Some people study and work better with music playing, others prefer silence.

There's no general rule in this case.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
i concentrate better if i am not listening to something that is lyric heavy.
Tell your principal darkstar2466 blasts metal every time he sits down to write code, and he does a damn fine job.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I reckon it depends on the person and the type of homework. If you have to read I can't imagine most people listening to anything with lyrics that will actually HELP them read. It might not distract them, but no way is that going to help (unless they are in a super noisy and distracting environment). Anyways recently music has been distracting me when I have to do comprehensive work.

As far as high school goes, I think it would distract people in more cases than not. Sure, you and some others might be an exception...but you aren't going to find some article that will stop this new rule of yours.
Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
If I have bad creepy dreams tonight, your ass is toast Still Life

Quote by skeptopotamus
Dream Sexy...dream Still Life...

Last.fm runs my life
Music distracts me, I concentrate on that rather than what I'm studying. I always had music on while I was studying, and got a 2:2, so there you go.

That was the only factor, obviously. Erm...
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Music affects everybody differently. I get distracted if it doesn't have lyrics.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws