My father recently found his old amp. A Dynacord Jazz combo (20 Watt, one channel, tube) from somewhere between 61' and 64' and it still works real nice, although we're going to change some parts obviously. The tone is pure awesomenes, bell like, warm clean with lots of headroom. Could do with some reverb though...

But when I use my Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2 (Guitar > DS-2 > Amp.) I don't get as much tone in the distortion as I do on my Fender Performer 650 (solid state) with the DS-2. There is more depth to the sound, and it's not as compressed on the Dynacord, but it also gets muddy and sort of... distant.

I realize that this is a amp. made for clean, but it would be nice to have a more present tone with the DS-2. Any ideas?

Also, is there any good equalizers? Since it only has one knob for treble and bass (you don't get both apperently).
Custom PRS-style guitar
'62 reissue Fender Stratocaster
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
keep the volume on your ds-2 at halfway. and eq will make it a tad better, but in all honesty a better distortion pedal would be in order.
yea, try an OD, you might be better off. depending on your style of course.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
For some reason I find this is the problem with a lot of valve amps (everyone I've tried anyway).

I always have to have an EQ pedal after my distortion/fuzz/OD pedals to make it not sound muddy and distant. I think it's just to do with the voicing of different amps. As far as I know most 'cheaper' valve amps are more vintage voiced and lower gain, so perhaps your dad's old amp is too.
Tried with less Tone on the actuall guitar, got a bit better response from the DS-2. Being a Frusciante fanboy (yeah, stupid, I know) I thought the DS-2 would suit me well. And it kind of did on the Performer, but well, solid state. :P

But I also play a lot of bluesy stuff, so I'd die to try an OCD. But my wallet is a tad thin at the moment.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
borrow from a friend? lol or tell your dad he should buy it for himself, since apparently hes a guitarist. and just use it when he buys it. or just keep at the wishful thinking.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've noticed this kind of thing too with tube Vs. SS amps and cheaper distortions. Anyway what kind of distorted tone are you after? I've noticed that Big Muffs and RATs go exceptionally well with tube amps (I'm currently using a RAT into my 73' Fender Princeton and it's wonderful) while most (if not all) the distortions from Boss, Digitech, Danelectro, etc. sound thick, muddy, and unusable.

Or you could just crank it until it starts breaking up and roll back the volume to keep it 'clean'... God the tone is unimaginable when that's done, sadly I can't do it these days living in the dorms... I'm lucky to get my amp on 3 without pissing off at least a couple of my neighbors.
It's pretty much my amp now, he doesn't play anymore, and he used to play bass.

And for what tone I'm after... I suppose I like the one Frusciante has, but also
Gilmour-like, John Mayer-like and of course Hendrix-like tone. Frusciante uses
a Big Muff, but I heard that the DS-2 was more versatile so I went with that. I
suppose that was a mistake.

And the Dynacord Jazz is supprisingly clean even when cranked, tried the volume at like seven-ish yesterday. I apologize for my English mistakes, it's not my native language.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
^ Your English is better than some people's on here who's native language is English.

Maybe try a RAT with the amp and see how it sounds.
I'd go with a nice fuzz if you want hendrix and gilmour. I believe Gilmour also used a DS-1 in his pedal board.

I believe it comes down to speaker and EQ on the amp. I've played with distortion pedals on tube amps and they sounded fine, although I do agree that the lower ended pedals seem to sound shrill or harsh on them.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^ i think theyre quite awful. modded theyre fine but the stock one is too buzzy and muddy.