Well, I've been playing Bass for about 6 months. I know it's not that long, but I've definitely got the basics down and can handle some tough basslines. I play with both a pick and I use my fingers. I've been playing drums for over a year and i can keep time really accurately, i usually play metalcore songs on drums just for the heck of it :P.

Anyways, I want to try my hand at guitar. I really like punk music (Pennywise, Bad Religion, etc.) And I've got a few questions:

- I want to play electric guitar, but do you think I should start with an acoustic?

- If I practiced for about an hour per day, how long do you think it would take before I'd be able to play decently in punk?

- I play lefty, but I don't really have much money for lessons. Do you think one of those book on how to play guitar would help me, even if I am lefty?

- If I have lessons, do you think I'll b able to learn guitar faster than if I was self-taught? (I'd probably take lessons where my friend took them, it took him about a year to get pretty good)

Thanks in advance!
1) It's ok to start start with Electric, in my opinion
2) It wouldn't take very long since most punk is easy.
3) From my experience the best way to learn is by looking up tabs and playing songs you like.
4) You would probably learn faster with lessons because it's always easier when there is someone explaining to you what you should do.
well.
most bad religion songs are extremely easy.
since you've got the fretboard down on bass,
you probably could teach yourself to play alot of the punk stuff.
hell,
my drummer has never picked up a guitar in his life.
and i taught him to play some bad religion songs in a few hours.
you should be fine without lessons.
Honestly, if you wanna play electric, don't bother with an accoustic. I tried that route, & mine's gathering dust on the corner, because I was so much happier with the electric than my accoustic.
To be honest, with Punk you should be able to get plenty good with that inside 6 months, a year to get properly solid. And that's self taught, a tracher will probably be classical, blues, that kinda thing - all nice stuff to do, but not what you're looking for.
(word of advice for lefty: Just string them upside down, it's gonna be so much cheaper! Worked for Hendrix and Iommi, right? Just swap the strap holders around & It'll be fine... Try it with a Warlock if you like, I know they're metal guitars, but I'd love to get one just for Punk)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
1) There is no problem with starting with an electric at all.
2) I can't say, seeing as i don't listen to that much punk, but i would imagine it wouldn't be very long
3) All the books are not edged towards right handed players, they are for all players, since the only difference is the guitar would be the other way around, and if you can read music for bass it wouldn't be any different
4) Depends what you would practice without a teacher really.
Since you started on Bass and can drum too you've already got everything except the chords and the tight string spacing. Guitar should be a cake walk for you.

My main piece of advice is that if you're really serious about this don't underspend on your gear! Get a good standard Fender and a Palomino V16 or something... I know it's several times more expensive than buying a strat pack or something but if you're serious the investment is worth it. And the gear will make you 'sound' (not to be confused with 'play') that much better that much sooner.
Quote by RadioMuse
Since you started on Bass and can drum too you've already got everything except the chords and the tight string spacing. Guitar should be a cake walk for you.

My main piece of advice is that if you're really serious about this don't underspend on your gear! Get a good standard Fender and a Palomino V16 or something... I know it's several times more expensive than buying a strat pack or something but if you're serious the investment is worth it. And the gear will make you 'sound' (not to be confused with 'play') that much better that much sooner.

If you are very serious about this, start doing punk for like one week. Then do rock and take it by there. You'll experience how boring guitar can be if all you do is power chords.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You don't need to start w/ an accoustic.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!