Well, ive been playing around trying to get better and I do know basic chords and like c d e f a d sus a sus etc. and I can play a few "strumming" songs no problem because thats pretty much what ive done with guitar for the past 3 years. Not joking, ive played 3 years but thats all I know because I dont know what to do.

Anyways, ive gotten advice to just learn some tabs and songs I like instead of worrying about the music theory stuff.

So I checked out AC\DC and made a couple blues solos myself that i can play pretty well, but what are some decent strummings songs that are fairly easy to play? i tried SLTS but the whole mute thing was kinda hard.

Also, id like to upload some music on here to see what people think, but the mic i have that goes into my amp, theres no spot on my computer for one O_o
hm...
have you ever had a teacher? Cause, about now, that's the best thing I can think of..

EDIT: Or is guitar just like, a hobby?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I suggest stepping it up a notch and learning the acoustic version of "Layla", you seem to know some stuff, all you have to do is push yourself to become better.

Edit: Oh yeah, and a teacher would be good, but if you can't afford it, look into some of these online lessons. Google some lessons too, they'll help you get organized.
Yea it pretty much sucks for me, my parents cant afford it sadly, and i saved 2 years to buy an EPI LP, so i was stoked. but still..

I had a teacher, at one point, and this is what i did.. okay so he made me buy a book, i still have it, and id learn a song out of it, in musical notes like the weird staffs and all that crap. and then id learn it for the weak, come back and play it, hed give me 2 more songs, OVER AND OVER. so i stopped lessons cause i felt like i was getting no were and he was trying to teach me classical or something.

and the whole reason i started, was because my friend played, and i loved it, i wanted to play.

So heres what i know in the long run:

All i did to start was he showed me chords, like A C D E F G A SUS D SUS. and then I learned songs, like off the internet searching google for guitar chords, simple songs, and yea, i got a few tabs back in the day from mxtabs like la bumba, and ive been doing that for literally 3-4 years, because i love guitar that much.

But now, I dont know were to go, because it feels like im not getting better, and for a fact i know im not, most people say they dont think they are but i KNOW im not. and I think its because i started out wrong or something.

Oh and im TOTALLY serious about it, id love to be in a band, not joking this is probably the most serious thing in my life.
lessons. they are fantastic. but get a good teacher.

strumming songs? try bob dylan.

but i suggest trying to learn some simple lead parts. maybe some easy solos (californication by rhcp, candy daze by the vines, etc)

Jack my swag
get lessons or keep practising and for the recording thing you have to buy an apdapter that makes the guitar size jack leads fit in a mic input on a computer, it'll cost like £2 or something
get lessons or keep practising and for the recording thing you have to buy an apdapter that makes the guitar size jack leads fit in a mic input on a computer, it'll cost like £2 or something
Quote by MxPxPanic
Yea it pretty much sucks for me, my parents cant afford it sadly, and i saved 2 years to buy an EPI LP, so i was stoked. but still..

I had a teacher, at one point, and this is what i did.. okay so he made me buy a book, i still have it, and id learn a song out of it, in musical notes like the weird staffs and all that crap. and then id learn it for the weak, come back and play it, hed give me 2 more songs, OVER AND OVER. so i stopped lessons cause i felt like i was getting no were and he was trying to teach me classical or something.

and the whole reason i started, was because my friend played, and i loved it, i wanted to play.

So heres what i know in the long run:

All i did to start was he showed me chords, like A C D E F G A SUS D SUS. and then I learned songs, like off the internet searching google for guitar chords, simple songs, and yea, i got a few tabs back in the day from mxtabs like la bumba, and ive been doing that for literally 3-4 years, because i love guitar that much.

But now, I dont know were to go, because it feels like im not getting better, and for a fact i know im not, most people say they dont think they are but i KNOW im not. and I think its because i started out wrong or something.

Oh and im TOTALLY serious about it, id love to be in a band, not joking this is probably the most serious thing in my life.

Any response to that ^?
Quote by MxPxPanic
Any response to that ^?

ummm.........become good enough to be in a band? thats the only real response i can give to that.

Jack my swag
Quote by MxPxPanic
i mean like.. after reading that.. what should i do?

practice a lot. practice things that are slightly above your level, and slow it down. gradually get the song up to speed. practice new techniques. practice alternate picking. practice palm muting. practice some simple solos.

Jack my swag
Any suggestions for simple solos? I think id rather go in the direction of lead guitar but DEFINATELY rythm guitar aswell.
STICKY!
STICKY!

There is sticky for this kind of threads.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
How long do you practice a day?

And ye seriously, theres a sticky for this sorta stuff. All I can say is you are not practicing enough.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I'm just starting to take guitar a bit more seriously, and I'm probably around MxPxPanic's level. I've been playing for only a year, so I don't really know much about music theory or even the notes I'm picking on a guitar yet - never really learned anything but the name of the chords. I just kind of memorized which notes to play. Right now I'm getting lessons on reading music properly.

Some good songs that got me started and excited are Stairway to Heaven, (I'm great at fingerpicking) Broken by Seether ft. Amy Lee (good fingerpicking intro, strumming chorus is easy), acoustic guitar to Fade to Black (a little hard to pick up the first time, but once you get it you feel it.), and just the other day I came across a friend with a wawa effect board, and I took advantage of that by playing Be Yourself by Audioslave and using it during the solo at the latter end of the song.

Practice proper finger position, then go to speeding up finger movement. If you don't use a pick, pick one up now, and try to go ahead and learn the basic scales on a guitar and be able to play them quite swiftly.

Of course I don't really know if it's my place to offer advice, I'm just stating what I learned and hoping it helps.

Oh and I used to practice about an hour a day, unless I learned a new song, in which case I would play it over and over again until I get the song entirely correct. Now that I'm getting more into it, 2½ to 3 hours. Eventually I'll devote more time to it when I'm not finishing schoolwork or working.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
Last edited by Ryugin at Oct 29, 2007,
Make sure you don't overly conform, meaning that you should ever lose that ability to experiment like a lot of newer players do.
Experimentation and experience are what make great players and great music. (For the most part)
Back when I was learning, which should also never stop, I had to do a lot of crazy stuff to break free of my overly bland playing.
My gear- 1979 Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
1967 Ampeg Gemini I
Boss Blues Driver
Big Muff Pi (80s)
If I were you and wanted to start playing seriously, I'd set up an organised practice routine incorporating technique, speed exercises, scales and chords etc. Make a plan, and develop it according to what suits you best, having a bad plan and developing is better than no plan. Read some articles around the web on UG, cyberfret, etc or just google practice routines and follow people's advice and print some exercises you find. Keep in mind that you shouldn't demotivate yourself with a boring or exagerated routine.
For now, until you have a basic plan, learn some scales if you're into playing lead guitar; minor pentatonic, major scale, minor scale, chromatic scale, etc. Just google them and you'll find some good explanations.
I dont know if anyone has sugested this yet, but I think you should know, almost every song by mxpx is very easy...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground