Alright so a while ago the neck on my bass got wrecked and I havent had the money to get a new neck or a new bass(it was a cheap bass so getting a new one would be better).
So lastnight a few friends and I were out and we were at a concert and decided that it would be cool if we got together and started playing some ****. Then seeing where that goes. So we have 2 guitarists, lead vocal and are gonna find a drummer. I volunteered to play bass. But I need a new bass first.
Now I have some time before we start anything but Id like to get it soon so i can practice a bit. So any tips on a cheap but decent bass?
the peavey ac bxp is amazing. quilt top, active pickups, and you can get it for about $300 at guitar center, and cheaper if you actally go to the store to negotiate. my friend got it for 270 with tax.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4-String-Bass-104145099-i1146983.gc

they have a 5 stringer too
Firstly, what's wrong with speding an hour or two in a music shop trying a basses in your price range, then bringing the ideas to us for critique? We are not able to guess the perfect bass for you for whatever you define as cheap.

Secondly, Squire and Ibanez do pretty good starter basses.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Firstly, what's wrong with speding an hour or two in a music shop trying a basses in your price range, then bringing the ideas to us for critique? We are not able to guess the perfect bass for you for whatever you define as cheap.

Well first off you dont have to be an ass. Im asking so I know where to start. I figure you guys probably know a little more. So sorry for asking.

CamaroEric+- thanks Ill have a look at that
We're not being asses.

You're asking a question with a large amount of responses possible. If you don't give us some idea of genre, style, sound, then how can we give an effective response?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by gm jack

Firstly, I agree.

Secondly, I recommend a Squier MB-4. I have the Skull and Crossbones special edition and it works well for any style of music.