Okay, sorry I've tried searching and haven't been around this forum so I don't know if this has been answered.

I recently got myself a Fender Jazz bass and was wondering if it'll work if I just take all of the strings to kind of "B standard" like it would be on a 5-string, except for on a 4. I'm a guitar player but I got this bass and have started playing it for some school things... ****ing bass parts always got some low Ds and Ebs in 'em so yeah.

Can I just like, get thicker strings and tune it down... I'm assuming I'd have to mess with the action/intonation since it won't be in tune, but I've done it with guitar before so I was wondering if the same thing would work with bass.

Thanks!
You would have to file the nut a little to fit the larger strings and readjust the truss rod and bridge saddles. With a little bit of work it might be pretty cool.
It would work, but would require some nut, truss rod, action and intonation adjustment.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you only tune down to D then just buy a set of 50-110 strings and they will be fine.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
just get some bigger string of 4 packs like i did and they work like wonder, no need to make the hole bigger yarwl!

Just that they sometimes get on your nerves >.< so thick that even burns my fingers when i slide...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P