Page 1 of 2
I'm interested in getting a Marshall JVM410 - but I have no idea if I should get the stack version or the combo. What are the main differences between the two?

Because for practicality I guess I'd prefer the combo, but if the stack version has a better sound or something...

Anyway,
Cheers
The only real difference would be the number of speakers, I guess. If you got the head and 4x12, you'd have more speakers than the combo version.
Well, Stacks are ALLOT louder than combos aswell, but, if i wanted the best sound quality, i think, the combo is better? i could be wrong but, if i was in a little studio i would prefer a miced combo to a loudd stack.
A JVM410 combo is the preamp/power amp with the speakers in the same cabinet. A Stack is a JVM410 preamp and power amp in one unit, and the speakers are seperate.
well the whole point of the stack is to mix and match different combinations of cabs. If you are only planning on getting one cab, i would probably get the combo. Also, do you really need the loudness of a tube stack?

Stacks DO tend to sound SLIGHTLY better because the amount of speakers. It pushes more air out and spreads the sound out more. Try out both and see which one you like better but I vote for the combo
Quote by CraigKing
Well, Stacks are ALLOT louder than combos aswell, but, if i wanted the best sound quality, i think, the combo is better? i could be wrong but, if i was in a little studio i would prefer a miced combo to a loudd stack.

Not necessarily. I've got a 50 watt head and 2x12. If someone got the same amp but as a 2x12 combo, it'd be just as loud

But I get what you mean. Generally people think of combos as mainly 1x12s whilst stacks often seem to come up as at least 4x12s, if not a pair of the things.
It may be just a matter of opinion but a stack does sound slightly better to me because the speaker cab is sealed and you get a tighter sound on the bottom end. Combos are better for convenience in transporting your amp around but the open back on the majority of combos sacrifices some tone. 5150 being the only combo that I know of that has the speaker compartment sealed, not saying there aren't others, but the only one I know of.
wow, people seem to forget that things like 1x10s, 2x10s, and 1x12s exist.
i prefer a head cab setup. and i think that cabs sound a little acoustically better than combos.
Hmm, well I think I'll go for the combo. Just seems more practical seeing as there isn't much difference.

Do many people stick wheels on amps like this? It'd sure make it easier to transport the beast. I hear it's incredibly heavy.
Stacks are louder, have more bass and more thump. Its gonna sound different, no matter what. And with a combo, your stick with it, while with a stack, you can swap out the head or the cab. It also gives you choices like putting in 2 different pairs of speakers in an X pattern.
Quote by Say Ocean
Stacks are louder, have more bass and more thump. Its gonna sound different, no matter what. And with a combo, your stick with it, while with a stack, you can swap out the head or the cab. It also gives you choices like putting in 2 different pairs of speakers in an X pattern.

With most tube combos, you have an option for an extension cab/using just an external cab. So you're not necessarily stuck with it.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ who the fuck wants to cart a 90 pound combo AND a 75 pound 4x12 to the same gig; when you could just grab a head, a 2x12 and later on a 4x12 and just switch between whatever fits the occasion? not i.

and most combos have an option for an extension cab, not just tube combos.
Quote by mcw00t
With most tube combos, you have an option for an extension cab/using just an external cab. So you're not necessarily stuck with it.

Yeah, but if you're just gonna stick a cab on it anyway, you could just get a half stack. And a 1x12 combo plus a 1x12 extension cab won't sound the same or have the balls a 4x12 has, although it would probably be a lot more practical.
Quote by TehJermie
^ who the fuck wants to cart a 90 pound combo AND a 75 pound 4x12 to the same gig; when you could just grab a head, a 2x12 and later on a 4x12 and just switch between whatever fits the occasion? not i.

and most combos have an option for an extension cab, not just tube combos.

you can remove the speakers from the combo if you're really that worried about it, but tbh, you could just have the 212, and a 212 cab...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
no matter how practical people here try to make them out to be, i think combos are very impractical. i own some and they really bug me a little. with a head, at least you can choose what you want. leave a 1x12 at your couch, a 2x12 at your pratice space and a 4x12 for whenever you feel like carting it to the gig. and just cart the head around and use a backline cab if need be. much more convenient. and i also like the sound of a seperate cab to the combo. theyre just the tv/vcr combos of the guitar world.
tbh, i prefer combos, they aren't impractical, just so long as you're alright lifting them if they're big, and some of us can't afford to have that many cabs just lying about. So for ultimate practicality, including cost, a combo wins hands down

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
a 4x12 cab weighs about the same as a combo. but another combo to that and that is just ****ty. a little head, no problem. and if you make your living playing music, it doesnt cost you anything to have those cabinets available.
^+1

On UG, people bash my amp all the time, either because its a half stack, or because its 150 watts

But I think combos are a great choice if you don't have much money, then again you can always get a used half stack.

Also, its annoying when people say half stacks are too hard to get to gigs, even if they've never had one. They really aren't hard to get around, I don't know what everyone is bitching about
^ they act like heads only come in the 500 watt all tube variety as soon as a stack is mentioned. i guess the 18 watt marshall head doesnt exist.
A 4x12 cab does weigh about the same as a combo (2x12) but you also have the amp head, which doesn't exactly weigh nothing. To be honest, I think you're being very ignorant to the majority of the people that go on these forums. We don't all make our living through music, we can't all afford a head and cab, and if you have a combo, you can add an extension cab at some point in the future. I'll also point out that a combo is smaller and therefore takes up less space as well. Anyway, say you have a 2x12 combo, and wanted 4x12, you'd only need a 2x12 extension cab, which weighs a little over 1/2 of that of the combo.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
dude, i own both. im not talking through my ass here. i love my combos to death, but i hate combos. in fact, everything that's not vintage, rare, or extremely valuable will be chopped down to a head sooner or later. combos are impractical unless all you do is play by yourself at home. until i have my own roadies, i can get a head and 1x12 to a gig much easier on days when i feel lazy. but youre stuck with your 2x12, even when you absolutely dont want to lift it. and at least i can move a 4x12 and a head one at a time. but with a combo, its ALL there ALL the time for better or worse.
*Enters thread*

And, combos are less to carry (one item instead of 2 and a speaker cable) and you can mic them up for larger gigs without using a cab.

*Runs*
a 2x12 isn't overly heavy, i mean, it's not light by any stretch, but it's still not that much of an inconvenience. I mean all you gotta do it carry to car, put in car, drive, remove from car, place where you want it, play. I would rather a combo than a stack any day of the week. I don't own a stack, but I've had to move one before and it's just so inconvenient, I mean, a 4x12 cab is possibly the hardest thing to move in the world.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
*Enters thread*

And, combos are less to carry (one item instead of 2 and a speaker cable) and you can mic them up for larger gigs without using a cab.

*Runs*

some more laziness for you. a lightweight metal ramp. cab has casters and slots to hold the head down. put head on cab, wheel it up to the van. and wheel it into the venue. no lifting whatsoever.
and i can always bring a 1x12 or a 1x10 if im feeling like a little whimpy bitch that day.
Quote by TehJermie
^ they act like heads only come in the 500 watt all tube variety as soon as a stack is mentioned. i guess the 18 watt marshall head doesnt exist.

Or that everyone plays in their bedroom or jams with a drummer who barely hits his set
^ ( I mean TehJermie)

this guy keeps it real, he knows what hes talking about and everyone just tries to come up with dumbass replies that make no sense.
Quote by kornliaslumpica
^ ( I mean TehJermie)

this guy keeps it real, he knows what hes talking about and everyone just tries to come up with dumbass replies that make no sense.

how do my replies make no sense?

EDIT: oh i get it, he's brown nosing because TehJermie has a stack...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Say Ocean
Or that everyone plays in their bedroom or jams with a drummer who barely hits his set

a lot of madison square bedroomers here.
Quote by Say Ocean
But seriously, my drummer owns a Peavey classic 50 2x12 raised up to head level on a table easily, what am I gonna do with a combo? Some times you just need a ridiculous amp

that's just ridiculous, i'm sorry, but most drummers are nowhere near that loud, a cranked 30w can be heard easily over any drummers around where I live

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
if you have no idea get the combo, stacks are for mixin
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Say Ocean
On UG, people bash my amp all the time, either because its a half stack, or because its 150 watts.
Yeah, dude. What the hell are you doing playing with a 150-Watt half-stack? I mean, just who in the F*CK do you think you are, anyway? And NO ONE needs 150 Watts—NO ONE! You suck!

Just kidding!

I think (and what the hell do I know?) that, with the RIGHT combination of gear, and in the RIGHT space, 4x12s sound really, really good. I know, I kinda want one. My friend has a JCM half-stack with a 4x12, and that thing sounds f*cking AWESOME. He plays it in my friend's warehouse, so he can turn it up, too.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

for dirty tones, nothing sounds like an amp being driven hard into a good 4x12 cab, nothing.
The half stack will give you better sound projection and be louder at a gig. And as said before you can just have a 1x12 at home if you dont want it that loud.

Say Ocean.
I agree with you! It's what like two minutes of lifting something from the van to the stage? And they aint that heavy. Way lighter than my twin and thats a combo. It's this talk that makes me worry that guitarists really are lil bitches.

PS You're set-up is awesome. I would never pay out anyone with a classic 30 or Triple Rect, let alone having them BOTH!
I don't begrudge anybody with a 150W halfstack (my sig is directed at n00bs who think they need to upgrade that far from their Frontman), but I definitely like my combos.

I like the sound of an open back combo. I'm playing mostly classic rock type stuff, and that sound is perfect for me. I like the portability of carrying my 1x12, and 95% of the gigs I play need no more than that. Those that do, I can bring a cab along for extra speakers. For all those that don't, it's just one less thing I have to bring.

There are times I go into my friends' studio, and plug a bass into an 8x10 Ampeg of untold wattage, while my buddy plugs into a 140W tube halfstack, and the drummer has little trouble keeping up. Thank God he has complimentary earplugs at the door....

In my experience, people don't necessarily want to get chased out of the venue by an overly loud band (read: I don't go to metal clubs anymore). I find my 30W 1x12 with the volume around 3 or 4 fills most rooms just fine.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by mcw00t
that's just ridiculous, i'm sorry, but most drummers are nowhere near that loud, a cranked 30w can be heard easily over any drummers around where I live

Thats because most drummers hit like little girls

Nothing to be sorry about, drums sound best for metal when you pound the **** out of them. I can't stand drummers who tap the things like they are afraid to hurt them

EDIT: And a lot of people also say since your combo is mic'd, then you don't need a half stack for a show. Buuutttt what if there are only stage monitors for the vocals and you can't hear yourself because you drummer actually plays the drums? My half stack definately works well in those situations where I need to hear myself.
Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by Say Ocean
Thats because most drummers hit like little girls.
Especially, when your drummer is ACTUALLY a little girl! Say Ocean, you have an AWESOME amp, an AWESOME cab, with BITCHIN' speakers—I don't think you have to justify your set-up to anyone! And Slatsman, if you love your 1x12, that's great! We all like the gear WE like, and we don't have to "explain" it to anyone!

Well, except for that whole MG-Spider debacle . . .
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 29, 2007,
thats because most drummers hit like little girls

Nothing to be sorry about, drums sound best for metal when you pound the **** out of them. I can't stand drummers who tap the things like they are afraid to hurt them

EDIT: And a lot of people also say since your combo is mic'd, then you don't need a half stack for a show. Buuutttt what if there are only stage monitors for the vocals and you can't hear yourself because you drummer actually plays the drums? My half stack definately works well in those situations where I need to hear myself.

I KNOW. My drummer "BEATS HIS DRUM LIKE THERE NO TOMMOROW" ( lol sounds like the Jackson 5 )

Anyways, i'd rather have the power and not use it then not have it and not beeing heard over my crazy mexican drummer
Ok so this is why I have a half stack

This is AFTER he (my brother/drummer) threw away over half of his broken sticks, and in addition to those cymbals his hi hat is cracked, his pastie 2002 crash is cracked, and there are around 6 or so others he has broken in the past couple years
^ Breaking sticks and (especially) cymbals isn't a sign of manliness, it's a symptom of hitting them incorrectly.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Page 1 of 2