hey! i play rythm guitar in my band, and were by no means popular, were still at that "jamming in the garage stage". we've started to write some of our own material, but we needed a singer. I have had past experience singing and volunteered for the challenge of frontman. I've been in the school's production as a 2nd lead part and had two solo songs, have had the odd singin lesson and I'm in my school's senior choir as a bass so im pretty convinved im not a **** singer....

thats where the problems start...

were doing a lot of covers of bands like Velvet revolver, guns n roses, greenday, blink etc and i feel a lot more comfortable singing songs by blink and greenday, and most of the time the vr and guns songs sound like ass, i think its because im a bass not a tenor.

what sort of songs would suit my vocal range as a bass?
what keys would you recommend our own material to be in to suit my vocal range?

please help me, thanks a million
I don't know if I'm technically a bass (I'm definitely somewhere between there and baritone), but I'm always comfortablest around sharp keys (G#, F#, C#, D#).
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't know if I'm technically a bass (I'm definitely somewhere between there and baritone), but I'm always comfortablest around sharp keys (G#, F#, C#, D#).

"baritone" is the musicly correct term for "bass" it means the same thing. Contrabass or Sub-baritone are the even lower voices (think Barry White).
well blink 182 tom de long has quite a high vocal range and mark has a low range billie joe from green day i rather mid to high
im just kind of interested, whats the lowest note you bass boys can sing. i have a somewhat deep tone aswell, i can reach C# (ie guitar tuned 3 semitones down). is that considered bass?
i wouldn't worry too much about singing songs from other bands. you're already writing your own material, so I would suggest experimenting with your voice and finding out what sounds great and what doesn't.

i honestly cannot think of too many bass singers.
a few bands that i can think of that you may want to take a look at are Joy Division, Interpol, and the Editors.
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
Quote by 1337void
im just kind of interested, whats the lowest note you bass boys can sing. i have a somewhat deep tone aswell, i can reach C# (ie guitar tuned 3 semitones down). is that considered bass?

The lowest note I can hit before any problems is low G a bass guitar.

The highest note I can hit (but not sing at all well ) is the C# above a guitar's high E.

My vocal range has gaps in that I can't sing.

Can anyone prescribe a diagnosis?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The highest note I can hit (but not sing at all well ) is the C# above a guitar's high E.

that g is insanely low, as i said i can just about hit the g flat on a normal electric guitar. im guessing that theres a large gap there too of notes you cant sing, i think its called your monotone range or something like that, i think the gap is meant to close with age...

correct me if im wrong please
Quote by SEALSniper1152
i've been told that e Flat is the closest to natural human speech.

anyone back that up? also, what keys should i avoid?
al right bro im a bass too and it sounds like you like older **** so maybe think beatles or bad company ramones for newer ****e green day and blink are realy popular try may red hot chile peppers or if you wanna do gnr there are certain songs that can be done like patience is lower and find songs in a minor key and there easy do do the low harmony for a bass singer
uh... transcribe songs you can't sing into a range which you can?

for natural, try some doors. I never knew how 105 lb Jim Morrison could sing that low...
indie_black_std and BrianApocalypse, please go check out the singing thread. You will find links to articles by SingingSabre in the first post that have good information. One of his articles has some exercises listed. I've posted several exercises and a chart with approximate voice ranges. Brian, there's not enough information in your post to even begin to guess what could be causing the holes in your range. Post more details (a clip would be nice, too) on the singing thread, and perhaps some of us can get you pointed in the right direction.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Cover QOTSA. Josh is a bass for sure... I think XD
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by SEALSniper1152
"baritone" is the musicly correct term for "bass" it means the same thing. Contrabass or Sub-baritone are the even lower voices (think Barry White).

err sorry but I think you're wrong
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

C# on the guitars high e?
thats really high man, are you sure youre not singing in your head voice?
Try singing in silly falsetto a la Queen or the Beatles? Other than that, I dunno what to tell you. You could also try singing parts an octave down, it might sound really weird, but then again, it could sound pretty cool.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by BrianApocalypse

C# You're in falsetto for sure.

And to the guy who said baritone and bass were the same, baritone is the middle voice between bass and tenor.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
The more you sing out of your comfortable zone, the greater your range going up will be. For now, just try to stretch your voice during practice, and use falsetto when you can (inexperienced vocalists will sound really weak in falsetto, I know I do, it's just something you need to work on).

Also, sing scales upwards every night, recording the highest note that you can sing at the end of each session. You'll be shocked at how fast you'll progress.

Also for extending range, when your parents aren't around, play some songs that really push your vocal limits on guitar and sing along. I just learned You Don't Know What Love Is (Just Do As You're Told) by the White Stripes, and found that it was right at the top of my vocal range. So I belted it out as loud as I could while strumming a few chords.

Also, as far as singing goes, most bands don't have a very good singer. Lots rely solely on a studio voice. As far as live goes, however, sing anything that sounds powerful and punchy, but know what you can get away with. If you have to sing the higher notes falsetto and can't belch them out without hurting your throat or getting a bad sound, by all means do so.

Now, I'm no expert on the topic, but these are all guidelines I've used for singing, so...

Good luck!
The more you sing out of your comfortable zone, the greater your range going up will be. For now, just try to stretch your voice during practice, and use falsetto when you can (inexperienced vocalists will sound really weak in falsetto, I know I do, it's just something you need to work on).

Also, sing scales upwards every night, recording the highest note that you can sing at the end of each session. You'll be shocked at how fast you'll progress.QUOTE]

This needs clarification. And for clarity's sake, when I say, you, it's the generic you.

Yes, you should explore your range. Yes, the more you sing (assuming you have decent technique), the better you will be able to access your upper register. However, every voice has its natural limits, and no amount of singing higher than is comfortable will make a tenor out of a baritone or a baritone out of a bass. Ultraturtle0 is on the right track recommending you sing scales, but a safer way to explore is to only go a note or two above where it feels comfortable until those notes line up properly and then progress to the next note or two. You may progress quickly, you may not. If the top is not progressing, take a look at where your voice transitions from the lower register to the middle register. There may be some issue there like carrying too much weight too high. There may be support issues. Then again, given the number of teenagers on UG, it may simply be an issue of physical maturity. Your body may not be ready to sing particular notes or handle the passagios (the places where you transition from one register to another) gracefully.

You only get one voice. You can replace a guitar. You cannot replace your vocal cords.

Further vocal questions should be directed to the singing thread. It's one of the stickies.
-Dorothy Parker
Quote by SEALSniper1152

No. The basic male voice types are, from highest to lowest, tenor, baritone and bass. Barry White, were he singing classical music, might be labelled a basso profundo. In plain English, a really low bass.
-Dorothy Parker