Ok, so Im not a newb at guitar or anything, I've been playing for almost 2 years, and I have this bump on my hand where I palm mute. So when I play, the fingers on my picking hand that aren't holding the pick kind of curl up at the end, except my pinky. So my question is: Will the figers on my picking hand get in my way while I play later in learning things on guitar?

The pictures are right here:

Btw, I'm not left handed, my camera on my computer reverses everything.
Last edited by i_kill_babies at Oct 28, 2007,
try to not curl your fingers. if you keep on curling them, you might accidently hit unwanted strings when you play.

Jack my swag
I've tried not to curl my fingers, but it's like impossible. Last time I went to the doctor I asked what it was, and she said it could be removed if it's causing me problems. So should I get the bump removed?
Last edited by i_kill_babies at Oct 28, 2007,
i would get it removed, then you wont have problems
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
probably a benign cist
Traynor YCV40
Modded Gibson SG
Gibson CS-356
1973 Fender Bassman
Fulltone OCD
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
How did it get there? You make it sound like it just popped up out of nowhere. I would think you would have watched it grow and slowly adapted your guitar playing to how it was growing.
You might be one in a million or something.Are you double jointed or any thing like that?
Sounds like a Ganglion Cyst to me...course, I'm no doc. Have a look and see if you think it is a Ganglion Cyst. You will not like the "cure" lol. There are two ways to fix a Ganglion Cyst...

1) Have it drained (will probably show up again in the future)
2) Have someone smack it with a book (no kidding!)

Here is someone getting the "book treatment"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bv20yXFuU

...and an article on the subject by a doc...

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/a/wristganglion.htm

Hope this helps.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by AiCPearlJam
How did it get there? You make it sound like it just popped up out of nowhere. I would think you would have watched it grow and slowly adapted your guitar playing to how it was growing.

Well It's kind of weird how this happened, I origionally held my pick really weird, instead of holding it with the side of my index finger and thumb, I held it with the front of my index finger and thumb. So my hand would rub up against the bridge of my warlock really weird, and I think that's where it started. I changed my picking style like around February of last year and I don't think it's gotten bigger since then.

Quote by human panda
You might be one in a million or something.Are you double jointed or any thing like that?
Yes, I'm double jointed on all my fingers except my right thumb.

Quote by RCShadow
Sounds like a Ganglion Cyst to me...course, I'm no doc. Have a look and see if you think it is a Ganglion Cyst. You will not like the "cure" lol. There are two ways to fix a Ganglion Cyst...

1) Have it drained (will probably show up again in the future)
2) Have someone smack it with a book (no kidding!)

Here is someone getting the "book treatment"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bv20yXFuU

...and an article on the subject by a doc...

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/a/wristganglion.htm

Hope this helps.

Chris

Holy ****! Well I don't want to smack it with a book because of where it is on my wrist/hand (farthest part of my hand to the right in the pic), and I think it will **** up my wrist if I do that. I might go and get it drained.
If you get it drained, start wearing fingerless gloves when you play guitar to prevent these sorts of things.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Nope, hence Fingerless =P and it's alot easier on the hands too. I pick using my pinky finger for support though =\ its also really good for palm muting.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Seth Shadows
Nope, hence Fingerless =P and it's alot easier on the hands too. I pick using my pinky finger for support though =\ its also really good for palm muting.

Alright dude I'll try it, is any certain brand of fingerless gloves you use?
I think some better advice would be to go and get it drained and then stop palm muting so hard; you only need a relatively light palm mute to get good tone and loads of crunch and that way you don't inflame the skin.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by i_kill_babies
Alright dude I'll try it, is any certain brand of fingerless gloves you use?

Usually Cloth. Best with polyester.
I buy them from the bodom online store, A7X Online store, wherever.
If all else fails, you can just buy a pair of regular, thin coated gloves and cut off the fingers down about 5 cm above the knuckle.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think some better advice would be to go and get it drained and then stop palm muting so hard; you only need a relatively light palm mute to get good tone and loads of crunch and that way you don't inflame the skin.

no, some songs require heavy palm mute, like lamb of god. what I assume he plays because of his T-Shirt =P
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Last edited by Seth Shadows at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by Seth Shadows
no, some songs require heavy palm mute, like lamb of god. what I assume he plays because of his T-Shirt =P

Nothing requires a PM that heavy; I play Lamb of God too and I haven't developed anything like that on my hand: you can get perfectly good crunchy tone without causing injury to yourself...they manage it don't they?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
for a minute i've really had some hope there are some left handed people here :P
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )