Okayyy if you can help me with this cheers =]

Compound Y contains 32.9% of Carbon and 1.40% of H with a remainder of oxygen (that means it's 65.7%)

So you get the Mr and then figure out the moles which is
C=2.74 H=1.40 O= 4.11

So divide those by the smallest mole (1.40)

And you get C= 1.957 H=1 and O= 2.94

So what do i do then? Just round the numbers? so that the empirical formulae is C2H03

But i feel thats dodgy?
Lol i started AS Chemistry this year as well Phil. Much fucking harder than Biology.

EDIT: Looks right to me.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Haha yeah it's pretty tricky, but worth it come the day i get to swan round with a chemistry A level (not THAT impressive in the bigger pic)

Can anyone balance C4H2O6 + O2 -> CO2 + H2O ?
Otherwise i'm just going to leave it

EDIT: ^ Haha it would appear you've not found me around college then
yeah thats right, they always try to make things in chemistry sound harder then they really are i find it funny.
Quote by philipisabeast
Haha yeah it's pretty tricky, but worth it come the day i get to swan round with a chemistry A level (not THAT impressive in the bigger pic)

Why you messing around with empirical formulas and not coursework?

And thats obviously a no. Maybe you don't exist....
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
My teacher set us this set of homework aswell as the coursework, and i've got quite alot of that done + it's in for friday so i can forget about it for a few days and do physics cwk and maths work

I was away on holiday this week so i didn't get the chance to do much work but it'll be cool
How you finding Chem so far?
Quote by philipisabeast
My teacher set us this set of homework aswell as the coursework, and i've got quite alot of that done + it's in for friday so i can forget about it for a few days and do physics cwk and maths work

I was away on holiday this week so i didn't get the chance to do much work but it'll be cool
How you finding Chem so far?

Lol i've only done 200 words for the c/w.

Going in one ear and out the other, im afraid. You?

I am such a useless chemistry student.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

I'm not too bad with it, although it's deffinately harder than GCSE, who've you got as you're teacher?
I've done 1000 words over 4 pages(+tables) with it depressingly, but i think i'll cut it down a bit to stop it waffling on
Jane. You? (i don't normally see the point of asking this seeing as basically no-one has the same teacher lol).

As to the other point...you bastard!!

Anyway im off. Toodles, might see you around college, if i recognise you of course.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by philipisabeast

2 C4H2O6 + 3 O2 -> 8 CO2 + 2 H2O

I think that's it.

And for the TS's question, yeah you do just round it off.