im not sure what do to i need some advice.

i have a line 6 spider III 75 watts that im selling to my friend for 221$
with the money and some of my savings i plan on a getting a new amp
the price range is from 300-1000$
the problem is im not sure i tried reading a little in the faq to clear my mind and see which one is my best option but i dont know

i want a really nice amp so i wont have to upgrade in a long time
my taste in music are metal,rock,classical, and shred
i want to have amp that is versatile if not possible mainly focused on metal
my guitar is a jh-600 i dont know if this can help you guys help me out pick an amp

the other problem im not sure if to choose a tube amp or solid state
because i would have to replace the tubes and i heard about biasing and all this stuff and how you have to max volume to have nice tone i dont want to risk frying my amp but on the positive side is that it has a nice sound and everybody seems to love tube amps

the pros of a solid state is that i wont need to do any changes it will just play but on the cons is that the sound quality wont be as awesome as the tubes amp

the place i probably buy amp is on samash so if you guys could help me look through some amps in samash first it would be awesome

so basically any advice is appreciated or amps suggestions or whatever
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
a couple questions: 1) are you in a band and 2) who is your biggest influence tone wise?
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by stefan1988
the other problem im not sure if to choose a tube amp or solid state
because i would have to replace the tubes and i heard about biasing and all this stuff and how you have to max volume to have nice tone

you would probably wanna change the tubes after at least 2 years. depending on the amp, that'd cost like $50. $50 every 2 years? come on.

and the harder you push a tube amp, the more powertube overdrive you can get. they still have great tone at lower/usual volumes. again, people crank their amps for powertube OD.

have a look at these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV40-Custom-Valve-Combo-Amp?sku=480959

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046 or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT212-100Watt-2-x-12-Combo-Tube-Amp?sku=481309

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Oct 28, 2007,
Well, your guitars does have an active EMG 81/85 setup, and the word is, that EMG sound better on tube than ss.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Id say tube no matter what. Even a 5w is a major improvement over a Line 6. An Epi VJ with an OD pedal and an EQ could do almost anything depending on ur guitar. A Crate palomino V8 is another great 5w tube amp. By itself, it does some alright gain thru a Single Coil, and with an OD, metal would be acheivable. Id get the Crate, simply b/c it has a tone and gain knob, and u wouldnt need to buy a cab.
a couple questions: 1) are you in a band and 2) who is your biggest influence tone wise?

im not really in a band but i play with some friend sometimes.

2. is too hard to decided
i guess major influences on tone are guns and roses,metallica and iron maiden

and the harder you push a tube amp, the more powertube overdrive you can get. they still have great tone at lower/usual volumes. again, people crank their amps for powertube OD.

could i overdrive without cranking it all the way? get a pedal or something?

thanks for suggestions UnsignedRecords

they look real nice problem im going to have is if they have on stock
i know 3 music places
samash which is 20 mins away from here othere samash which is like 1 hour and 30 mins from here and one little music store which doesnt have many amps or guitars

samash some suggestions out of samash.com will be awesome in case i cant get other amp
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
well. check out the windsor for those tones. its basically a jcm800 with more gain. perfect for GnR
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by stefan1988
i guess major influences on tone are guns and roses,metallica and iron maiden

You could do most of this stuff on a Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV 40. Great amps, with great cleans, and plenty of available gain. Might want a solid OD pedal to tighten things up for the higher gain stuff, but you'd be set. At 30-40W, you'd be set for a long time. Not overpowering, but plenty of power for jams and gigs. With a full band, I rarely have my C-30 above 4 on the master.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
'Power amp overdrive' is just a term meaning the amp will break up and get smoother sounding at high volumes. That doesn't mean that you can't get a nice sound at low volumes.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
You could do most of this stuff on a Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV 40. Great amps, with great cleans, and plenty of available gain. Might want a solid OD pedal to tighten things up for the higher gain stuff, but you'd be set. At 30-40W, you'd be set for a long time. Not overpowering, but plenty of power for jams and gigs. With a full band, I rarely have my C-30 above 4 on the master.

i probably can get my hands on this Peavey Classic 30but not sure on the other one

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&STRID=153531&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=1689&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=+classic&Contains=%2Aclassic%2A&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

you would probably wanna change the tubes after at least 2 years. depending on the amp, that'd cost like $50. $50 every 2 years? come on.

how hard is it to change tubes on the amp? just take them out plug them in?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
You usually have to do biasing, but it isn't very hard to learn. However, if you don't know how, it's best to take it to a professional or something.

On the other hand, one trip to a music store in 2 years?

Not to mention that if you don't crank the amp (as in play loud to get powertube distortion) the tubes will probably last longer.
You usually have to do biasing, but it isn't very hard to learn. However, if you don't know how, it's best to take it to a professional or something.

On the other hand, one trip to a music store in 2 years?

Not to mention that if you don't crank the amp (as in play loud to get powertube distortion) the tubes will probably last longer.

any guides or faqs in biasing or any links you can provide to learn how to do it?

i know how to build computers and im pretty good at tech support but idont know if ican apply same experience here. in any case my dad can help me out he is an electronic engineer

and any more suggestions? could you guys give me some suggestions from samash?
because is only place close to here and iwant to try out the amp and see if im satisified with it before i spend 300-1000k
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I would look for a Peavey classic 30, its combo, tube, and look for a used one. Or a new one if you want to spend more. Its got great cleans, but you woul need a pedal for metal, that would* be a good set up. And 30 watts of tube is quite a bit.

And i know samash would have a Classic 30.
Last edited by jimmy666page666 at Oct 29, 2007,
Line 6 really isn't that bad, honestly.
My guitarist has one and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Go tube!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Line 6 really isn't that bad, honestly.
My guitarist has one and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Go tube!

What they all say till they hear a real tube then like "OMG! IM SELLING MY MG AND MY SPIDER! YAY!"
Quote by jimmy666page666
What they all say till they hear a real tube then like "OMG! IM SELLING MY MG AND MY SPIDER! YAY!"

he could be talking about the higher end line 6's , I hear good stuff about them
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
or.. get the new tube line6 amp
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
have to say i heard a fender 65 watt tube which sounded nice then i heard the new Spider valve and was COMPLETELY underwhelmed. The Fender won won all fronts and it was a strat being played through both.
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
or.. get the new tube line6 amp

they are overpriced at the moment like 700 bucks but just for the hell of it i going to try one when i go to store

i probably get peavey one but i got to see if they have on stock when i go over there.
is pain in ass since is like 30 minutes away

but any recommendations from samash website is appreciated because in the store i can actually try the thing before i decide to buy it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Maybe a Fender Deluxe? Closer to the higher end of your price range, but it's 40 watts and they're a solid amplifier. Maybe that or one of those Tranyors, which are pretty close to the Fender's (being based off of them originally), but a little cheaper I believe and a little fancier on the cosmetic side (unless you find a sweet tweed Deluxe).
Global warming at my homework, sir.
i got other questions? what is the maitenance you guys give to amps?
how do you bias? do i need special tools? do i have to buy this? http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/english-store/BIASMASTER-System-BM4-pid-491.htm
it costs an arm and leg

how do i know what tubes i have to buy? can i use any type of tubes?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
^You don't need a bias meter. Tubes should be replaced every year or so, depending on how hard you play, and how often. Replace the stock tubes with the same type, but of any brand you want. For example, if you're amp has 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 EL34 powertubes, you need to replace the 12AX7 tubes with 12AX7's, and the EL34's with EL34's. You shouldn't have to worry about tube swaps for a good while, either way.
AD60VTX 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifier

ValveKing 112 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifier

AD50VT Valvetronix 1x12 Guitar Combo Amplifier (B Stock)

Peavey
Nashville 112 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifier

Crate
V33212 2x12" Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier

Peavey
Jack Daniel's 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifier

Triple XXX Super 40 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifer
(PXXXS40XX)

ok guys here's the amp that are going to be on the store hopefully they have them on stock

sorry i could not post links but samash links led you to other amps for some reason

^You don't need a bias meter. Tubes should be replaced every year or so, depending on how hard you play, and how often. Replace the stock tubes with the same type, but of any brand you want. For example, if you're amp has 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 EL34 powertubes, you need to replace the 12AX7 tubes with 12AX7's, and the EL34's with EL34's. You shouldn't have to worry about tube swaps for a good while, either way.

a few more questions what is the difference between amps forms(i dont know how to word it)? like would it better if i chose head? or is combo better?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Combos are more portable, heads are more flexable. Some combos can be plugged into a cab, negating the advantage of a head. Then again, a head+cab cab be carried in pieces, instead of a massive combo amp.
Combos are more portable, heads are more flexable. Some combos can be plugged into a cab, negating the advantage of a head. Then again, a head+cab cab be carried in pieces, instead of a massive combo amp.

argh more think about when choosing amp? if i chose to get a head how much does the cab affect tone? also i heard that is easier to fry the head than a combo

another question if an amp has more tubes what does it do affects tone? more volume?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
u could try to find a used jcm900. b-52 would ge alright. peavey 6505 or a like dsl401 or whatever that marshall is called.