My bitch of an english teacher gave us an essay assignment for this week and she gave each of us a separate topic,, Mine, as the title displays, is "Teen illiteracy in high school graduates"

its a problem solution paper, and im supposed to write about how to solve it.. the problem is, i dont think its actually a problem!

there is no recourses on All of the student research center things, and google shows nothing of it!

is it actually a problem? do you really think american teens are illiterate at a high rate?

if so what can be done about it? sources?
For a reference, just observe some of UG. iM n0t t4lknG ab0ut the people that type like that, but the people that really don't know the difference between , "their" "there" and "they're" or "your" and "you're". And uncommon spelling mistakes out of stupidity. It is a problem. I'm not saying this to you, TS, but to all that are illiterate and don't know it; If you type like an idiot, I'll treat you like an idiot, because you are an idiot.

The only thing I can foresee in talks of a solution is on the spot corrections, honestly.

Anyone else have something on that?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
It is a problem, depending on where you are looking at. Alot of people fall through the cracks and get passed along. Not so much today, so you're right that it isn't as much a problem now.
Kinda reminds me of that one autobiography of a teacher who got through college without learning to read. The way he got through classes and how he got through teaching a class without knowing how to read was kind of ingenious, but he was a good example of falling through the cracks. I forgot the name of the guy...ill look him up.

here ya go...gives a name and his thoughts on it - mentions adult illiteracy in there..
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/inland/vista/2_39_444_18_07.txt
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Last edited by ezlntrooper at Oct 28, 2007,
i'm illiterate and got an A for english GCSE's, it's all about blagging it.
Well thats just the thing, she expects us to have sources and stuff for this, and show others opinions on how to solve the issue!!

does anyone know if there is anything out there on google/ask/yahoo that has anything relating to this, "problem"?
What about typo's? I always type beleive I after E, can't help it because it's just how the hand flows. That doesn't make me stupid does it =(

And TS- T ell your English teacher you can do your paper because you ARE illiterate
There should be tons of stuff. It's a reasonably well-popularised issue in the UK so I don't imagine it's that different in the USA.
Quote by pfa
i'm illiterate and got an A for english GCSE's, it's all about blagging it.

If you could write a coherent analysis of a poem, enough for an A, anyways, then clearly you aren't illiterate.
leik wat r u tawking abuot im liek totaly hi skool grajuite n im not iletarete at all lol
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
lol
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
how can you graduate high school, without being able to read...
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia