Well everyone assumes since there are hardly any of them all bass solos are good. But is there any that you don't like?

Personally I really hate the one in Open Sky by The Distillers. It just really makes me angry for some reason.
I haven't heard any I didn't like... although I can only thing of maybe a half dozen.
I never enjoyed any Burton solo, nor Maxwell Murder.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I'm going to be honest, and flamed too.

But I actually don't like Pulling Teeth by Metallica (Cliff Burton). I really can't put my finger on what it is. Hell, he was talented, I just can't stand listening to the song.

*Arms flame-retardant shield*
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule

But I actually don't like Pulling Teeth by Metallica (Cliff Burton). I really can't put my finger on what it is. Hell, he was talented, I just can't stand listening to the song.

I won't because you acknowledged his talent
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Bullet-Rule

+1

I find it to be very overrated.
+1 to by the way album solo

live is a different story

he is told often to mellow out his playing on cds
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

Uhh, Michael Anthony's effects-laden solos live.

Thank you, thank you thank you. I thought I was the only one who though Mr. Anthony and his Jack Dainel's Bass leaving Van Halen was a good idea.
Quote by Bullet-Rule

I agree with everything. And I also dislike the Hammer Smashed Face bass solo, it just feels very "meh" and random to me.
Viridian by Between the Buried and Me. Has guitar over it, but you can clearly hear the bass solo and harmonics.

Edit: Crap I badly read the title. I thought it was just about bass solos. So I'll replace that last one, which I love btw, by Maxwell Murder. Sure its quick and at first it's impressive, but the more I hear it, the less I like it and now I can't stand it because it's just wankage.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Last edited by Ranxston at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Tallman
+1

I find it to be very overrated.

Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Same, I don't like Burton's solos.

Unfortunately, neither of you put up your shields like Bullet-Rule...

*arms flamethrower*
Quote by sirstickykey
i love that one....

Crap I badly read the thread title. Yeah I love it too so disregard my post.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
yeh maxwell murder is kinda pooey, it doesnt take a genius to go up n down a scale
Hah, I hate most bass solos out there. Bassists don't get away with playing the pentatonic scale over and over again with massive amounts of distortion like most guitarists do. It takes talent and skill to pull of an enjoyable bass solo. Very few actually succeed.
Otherside by RHCP

It's just so... Meh!
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
NIB. There's nothing special or good about it, it's decidedly average. Also the studio version of My Generation is never anywhere as good as te live versions.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Why is there loads of songs by rhcp like otherside and by the way sayin they dont like the solos...their aint no solos in those songs! I don't really like metallica but the bass solos are good i think and i agree with the guy above flea is amazing...i got a bass tuition dvd from 1993 with river pheonix presenting it. Flea does some awesome stuff on it!
Last edited by Andy2k64 at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by sinan90
NIB. There's nothing special or good about it, it's decidedly average. Also the studio version of My Generation is never anywhere as good as te live versions.

hit the nail right on the head there sin

ANDY2K64 - THERE'S AN EDIT BUTTON. USE IT
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by sinan90
Also the studio version of My Generation is never anywhere as good as te live versions.

That doesn't make it bad though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
That doesn't make it bad though.

No, it's just not as great as it's cracked up to be.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Andy2k64
and i agree with the guy above flea is amazing...i got a bass tuition dvd from 1993 with river pheonix presenting it. Flea does some awesome stuff on it!

I agree: he can slap. But I have watched some solo's of him on the internet and they are just... boring. Sorry, my opinion. You can hate the solo's of my favorite bassist's too if you want
Quote by anarkee
Thank you, thank you thank you. I thought I was the only one who though Mr. Anthony and his Jack Dainel's Bass leaving Van Halen was a good idea.

We all know my obsession with his crappiness, and yeah, you could literally play his bass lines with one hand (left or right, your pick), but those background vocals will never be sung the same by any person in this world ever. That's the shame.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm gonna be a conformist here and say Pulling Teeth by Metallica. That song pisses me off.