Page 1 of 2
Can you stand in the same river twice?

Discuss.

EDIT: This is a age old question. I'm not gonna give my opinion, I'm just going to fuel debate.
Last edited by Craigo at Oct 28, 2007,
Yes. Of course you can. Maybe not the same actual water, but that's not really what a river is.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
probably although i don't really understand why you would want to stand in some polluted river twice
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
yes u can stand in the same river its only the water that moves the river doesnt change.

You Are Retarded
I've stood in the same river twice.
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
No he means that a river flows. So if you stand in a spot in the river and it's flowing past you, can you really go stand in the same river again that you were standing in before?
The real question is... can you stand in the same bathtub twice?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Rivers were named by humans. The water is the river. The name isn't.

Quote by pedaler466
yes u can stand in the same river its only the water that moves the river doesnt change.

You Are Retarded
I like rivers, it brings out the homosexuality in me.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Well if the water evaporates, and it rains in the same spot, then yes.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by darkstar2466
The real question is... can you stand in the same bathtub twice?

No way. You might slip.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Rivers are flowing, so if you stand in it at any two moments in time it is technically a different river.

**** you all.
Quote by Craigo
Through time and events, the river may be dried up and evened up. Can you then?

No because it won't technically be a river then.

But if I decided to stand in a river, then go to the pub for a couple of hours and then stand in that river again after 20 Carlings, I have stood in the same river twice. It wont be the exact same water molecules but it will be the same river geographically.
If it is an intermittent river then your chances are considerably less. However, a perennial stream you will probably end up drowning before actually being able to stand in the centre.

AS-level Geography ftw.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by acoginthesystem
Rivers were named by humans. The water is the river. The name isn't.
no...a river is a waterway. as in, the path through which water flows and not the actual water.

yes, you can stand in the same river twice. this is a poor attempt at trying to seem "deep" and philosophical
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
No.

As David Hume and a big bunch of budhists would telll you, everything is constantly changing.

I'm a different entity from taht whcih i was two seconds ago and so is the river.

Quote by RageAgainst...

yes, you can stand in the same river twice. this is a poor attempt at trying to seem "deep" and philosophical

I disagree. Wether he intended it or not, it adresses a fairly key issue about...identity for the lack of a better word.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by element4433
Well if the water evaporates, and it rains in the same spot, then yes.

What if it dries up, then erosion completely brings the ground even?

As water flows, it starts eroding again. The stream is causing a river, and erosion.

So, the damage caused may change the river to a different river.
Quote by Vermintide
Rivers are flowing, so if you stand in it at any two moments in time it is technically a different river.

**** you all.

Nah, it's technically a different patch of water, still the same river.
The strip that is the River Nile will always be The River Nile. You may not be standing in the same water, but the river will always be the same.

Quote by _Mayday_

I disagree. Right nowit's a river that's existed for hundreds of years

Now it' s a river that's existed for hundreds of years and 10 second

Different rivers.
Quote by RageAgainst...
no...a river is a waterway. as in, the path through which water flows and not the actual water.

Many people have argued that this question could be used as a metaphor.

I wanted a simple debate and I thought this question is more than simple enough
A river is a natural waterway that transits water through a landscape from higher to lower elevations.

Using this Definition Yes you can. Because the river is just the ground that is under the water.

It can be argues though that the river is the water itself coinciding with the point you are standing on. THis would make it impossible to stand in the same river twice as the water is always flowing and unlikely to flow back.

However, due to the water cycle it is possible but extremely improbable that opne can stand in the same river twice. (if the clouds that consisted of the original water rained down on the mountain where the original water came from.)

In summary. I have no fuking clue!!!
Quote by meh!

Different rivers.

Right now I'm a person that's existed for 20 years, 5 months, 12 days and approximately 20 hours.

Right now I've existed that plus several seconds more.

Different person?

Quote by meh!

Different rivers.

Different body of water, same name. So therefore it's geographically the same river. But your point still remains valid.

It depends on the perspective of the person answering. Surely someone on UG has learned that in all their 14 years of wisdom?
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by _Mayday_

Erosion of the stream may change the river at every possible moment. In this aspect, everything is changing.

I mean, are you the same person you were 10 years ago?

On one hand, most of us weren't matured, on another, we have different personalities than we did, but we still hae the same general looks, name, etc.
Quote by Craigo
Erosion of the stream may change the river at every possible moment. In this aspect, everything is changing.

I mean, are you the same person you were 10 years ago?

On one hand, most of us weren't matured, on another, we have different personalities than we did, but we still hae the same general looks, name, etc.

I'm sorry, but erosion may change the riverbed. With erosion the Thames is still the Thames.

If you had stood on Daniel (me) ten years ago, and stood on me again you will be standing on the same person even though my personality may have changed.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other

technically, you have 2 legs, so could could kinda of stand in the same river twice.

but, as mentioned before, water molecules and the exact spot etc.
Quote by Child In Time
Right now I'm a person that's existed for 20 years, 5 months, 12 days and approximately 20 hours.

Right now I've existed that plus several seconds more.

Different person?

Yes.

I don't see how you could disagree :p

If something about you has changed... which you just said has (time you've been here) then i don't see how you can deny that YOU have changed. Therefore, you're a different person.
Quote by Child In Time
I'm sorry, but erosion may change the riverbed. With erosion the Thames is still the Thames.

If you had stood on Daniel (me) ten years ago, and stood on me again you will be standing on the same person even though my personality may have changed.

Fair enough.

I'm just fueling debate, I'm not revealing my side.
Quote by meh!
Yes.

I don't see how you could disagree :p

If something about you has changed... which you just said has (time you've been here) then i don't see how you can deny that YOU have changed. Therefore, you're a different person.

I disagree. You chat to Daniel several years ago, you can chat to Daniel several years later.

Have you chatted to two different people? Absolutely not, it's still me.

This question is rather trivial when incorporating time into your logic. A point in space moves with respect to time, so unless if you are willing to only look at a 3-D picture, you can never say a river now is the same as a river two seconds ago.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Well, the definition for a river is apparently " A large natural stream of water emptying into an ocean, lake, or other body of water and usually fed along its course by converging tributaries," according to the American Heritage Dictionary.

According to Wiki, "A river is a natural waterway that transits water through a landscape from higher to lower elevations."

By both defiitions, it is possible. In the first, although the water may have changed, it is still the same stream. As with the second.
Quote by meh!
Now it's a river that's existed for hundreds of years and 10 second

Different rivers.

In the philosophical, mainly-conjecture-filled-bollocks-sense, but not in the Geographical sense.

I could go stand in the River Ouse (main river in my city) today, then go stand in the river Ouse tomorrow and it would still be the river Ouse.

Like, you don't class me as '_Mayday_, who has been a UG user for two years', then in a few hours..'_Mayday_, who has been a UG user for two years and three hours'.

Basically, I'm trying to pull your leg, as I know what you mean.
Page 1 of 2