okay, ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now... i do a lot of recording and i wanted to learn to play bass... i played on my friends and i can play a lot of different stuff on it from playing guitar for 2 yrs but my question is : What techniques does a bass guitar have, that a guitar doesn't?..... for instance finger picking a bass and that stuff.. what do i need to be learning?

btw i play 80s thrash and death metal (megadeth, metallica, testament, slayer, death, morbid angel, etc.)
well, technically anything you do on a bass can be done on a guitar. But slapping is much more common on bass(and imo sounds better on bass) I believe it's more of a difference in musicality than technique. Basslines should sound like basslines not guitar riffs, most of the time anyway. but anyways:

Fingerstyle is different of course,
Slap and pop is good to learn,
And also two-handed tapping is a bit different i think. Try out Stu Hamm - Moonlight sonata

Even though the stu hamm isn't really your kind of thing it's still a good example of what i mean.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
cool ty Revelation... i mean i know about harmonics, hammer ons and pull offs, sweep picking, bending, chords, double stops, etc... all the basic techniques on guitar, plus i know some theory... just making sure it was the same on a bass.. i just thought bass might have a lot of new techniques (like slap and pop thing) and stuff..
There's also this thing called double thumping that is related to slap. Victor Wooten does it but i can't really explain it. I know it involves your thumb though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by sictree
tried search bar?

+1

We get this more or less every other day.

Please, use the search bar instead of making an unnecessary thread.

At this rate Anarkee will have the Urge II by christmas...
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
+1

We get this more or less every other day.

Please, use the search bar instead of making an unnecessary thread.

At this rate Anarkee will have the Urge II by christmas...

Which is really likely since there was only 95 USD in the fund on Friday.

I don't know what makes me more depressed...the guitar to bass style / technique question of this thread or the what bass should I buy part...