Ok, so I'm using an online metronome, cause I'm too cheap to go buy one. And I am seriously getting annoyed. I'm working out of a book I got ( this one ) and it says to get the full effect I should start with the metronome on 60 and work my way up to 180, but what if I can do some of them on 180 to begin with? Do I just start at 180?
If you can do it perfectly on 180 then yes. If you have some problems, take it down until you can play it perfectly. There's no reason to take it down farther than you have to though.
Go and read about note subdivisions and time signatures

you don't just play one note on each click

if you're in 4/4 then each click would represent a quarter note
if you were evenly playing 2 notes to each click you'd be playing 8th notes
4 notes to a click you'd be playing 16th notes (which aren't really that easy when you're +120bpm with just picking)
Yeah, I know nothing about timing. I'm completely self taught and have just went from scales and tabs my entire time. So in 4/4 I play one note per click?
Quote by bambamm89
Yeah, I know nothing about timing. I'm completely self taught and have just went from scales and tabs my entire time. So in 4/4 I play one note per click?

you play one note per click if you want to play quarter notes
If you were playing quarter notes.

In 4/4 time:

1 quarter note = 1 click

2 eighth notes = 1 click

4 sixteenth notes = 1 click

and so on. i suggest learning rhythm values and stuff like that before working on stuff with a metronome.
its good to start at 60. Even if you can play at 60 you should still do it for practise. In my classical guitar when i started i did everything at 'andante' which is about 60 to establish myself
Quote by Pigmy
its good to start at 60. Even if you can play at 60 you should still do it for practise. In my classical guitar when i started i did everything at 'andante' which is about 60 to establish myself

I disagree. The whole point of starting very slow is so you can work your way up getting it perfect with very little tension. If you can already play perfectly without much tension at a higher speed then there's no reason to slow down more.