So I was looking at a tab for "The Rain Song" by led zeppelin. Like many tabs today, it is incredibly anal retentive. Here's the intro:

Now is it really practical to play it just like that? I rewrote it in a much easier way to play,

They sound virtually identical and any differences are so minute I am confident that very few people could tell the difference. So my question is, what's the point of writing tabs like that? I was going to put this in tab talk, but I thought that was more for requesting tabs.
I don't really understand. Sorry, this whole day has been like one giant brain-fart.
Its just the pattern, Its a powertab. so when you play it on powertab it will sound more like strumming.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Well, in the top tab, you have the G and B strings on each quaver (8th notes), and the top E string on syncopated crotchets (quarter notes). That off-beat rhythm may be important (I don't know the song.)
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Its just the pattern, Its a powertab. so when you play it on powertab it will sound more like strumming.

well the thing is my teacher gave me the tab from a magazine a while ago (i was stupid and threw it away when we were done), and it was just like that.

edit: the rhythm is just 8th note strumming. i don't believe there are any accents on the strums.
Quote by Spamwise
well the thing is my teacher gave me the tab from a magazine a while ago (i was stupid and threw it away when we were done), and it was just like that.

edit: the rhythm is just 8th note strumming. i don't believe there are any accents on the strums.

a saw a tab for Going to California by Zeppelin. They actually tabbed "sniff" and "breathe" on the exact beats in the intro. As if you are supposed sniff on the and of 3 and breath on 4. Now thats rediculously anal!

I agree sometimes they make it a point to tab it so accuratly, it can make it harder to read. Keep in mind if they didnt do that, someone would complain that its not "accurate".

Also whats written there is just taking into acount that hes strumming down and up, which would cuase him to hit the strings differently.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 28, 2007,
Ohhhh i get it now, heh. I still think it's kind of pointless, but I guess if it helps people than it's worth it.
Yeah, it makes songs on guitar pro/power tab look really complex but relaly its just one chord and when you strum you only hit the upper notes or the lower ones in the strum, its just the way of it sounding right in powertab and guitarpro. Although it is a good guide of upstrokes and downstrokes I guess.
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9