i have a question, with my picking technique and skill at the moment i can play 16 notes at 130 bpm max, even if its just shredding one string, by picking from my wrist i can only play 130 bpm.
now, if i use my whole forearm, i can tremolo pick at relatively high speeds, say 160 or sobut can't play precisely.

how should i be picking? from my wrist or with the whole underarm? is it physically possible to play faster with my wrist, does it come with time and training? or do i have to re-learn picking to use my underarm?

thanks for the help

EDIT: i can play legato at about 160 as well, if that's of any help
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 28, 2007,
it is wrist......coz playing with whole forarm will not help u produce accurate picking....so keep practicing on getting ur wrist move faster.....use Guitar Pro
You'll get it with time.
EDIT: you want as little movement as possible, so yeah, with your wrist. If you can keep your forearm relaxed, them carryon doing that.
so i just continue practicing with wrist then? phew, that's a relief

anybody have any good riffs or things to practice?
its hard, dude. it comes easier to some though. ive been playing 10 years and am at around 140, but I don't work on it like I should either.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
make sure your using your wrist, i had sort of the same problem, i was picking about 150bpm, after i adjusted my technique it shot up to 200 in about 2 weeks
Quote by CoreysMonster
so i just continue practicing with wrist then? phew, that's a relief

anybody have any good riffs or things to practice?

try master of puppets by metallica, its good for downpicking and redneck by lamb of god is good too
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
now i know you probably wont be interested in this because its not really answering ur question, but its a bad sign when you are judging yourself on how many bpm you got right? i mean if you'd said, i wanna do this song but i just cant get it to speed, fair enough, your going for sound, but i cant get faster when referring to bpm? come on

trust me though, speed comes with practice. and i dont find that speed transfers well. eg, i can play the intro of sweet child of mine insanely fast if i want to, but that doesn't me i can play say . . . emm . . . i dunno like the solo of it that fast.

if you practicing something for speed practice the songs that you wanna play at speed.
Quote by CobenBlack
now i know you probably wont be interested in this because its not really answering ur question, but its a bad sign when you are judging yourself on how many bpm you got right? i mean if you'd said, i wanna do this song but i just cant get it to speed, fair enough, your going for sound, but i cant get faster when referring to bpm? come on

trust me though, speed comes with practice. and i dont find that speed transfers well. eg, i can play the intro of sweet child of mine insanely fast if i want to, but that doesn't me i can play say . . . emm . . . i dunno like the solo of it that fast.

if you practicing something for speed practice the songs that you wanna play at speed.

i'm trying to get runs from buckethead and pertucci down, and their picking speed is insane. i can play it with legato, no problem, but i'm missing that attack sound of the pick.
can you play at those speeds with your labido?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
can you play at those speeds with your labido?

.............what?

EDIT: with legato? yeah, i've been playing piano for 13 years, my fretting hand is pretty advanced.
I think he meant legato...

Try the intro of six by all that remains.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

labido is your sex drive, im going out on a limb and guessing he was joking.

and don't worry it'll come, speed happens eventually, it just comes out of practicing. however, sometimes you may be trying something that is far too advanced for you. its good to push yourself, but there are limits to how much you can learn all at once.

buckethead is advanced stuff, and if your making a jump from say acdc to buckethead, its going to take a long time, sometimes it'd be better to learn say some ozzy stuff, and keep building it up.

if you do know lots of quite quick licks and solo's though, then it's just a matter of practicing. but it aint gonna come quickly. nothing thats worth it ever does.
yah what they sed,,,time lol ,,, but dont knock 130bpm thats a pretty good speed :p I'm currently doing 100 bpm
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
when you say "100bpm" for example, do you mean 16th notes at that tempo? i.e. 4 notes per beat (tick) so 400 notes per minute? Also, picking speed isn't the end-all goal, try to also coordinate your fretting hand so you can play a different fret with each note. I usually just do a 4 note chromatic up and down when i'm practicing for speed (i should probably do some other patterns too)

also, i was able to pick faster with a different pick. I recently got some of the dunlop Jazz III's and they seemed to help. They do sound a bit more "percussive" when you strike a note, i may try filing it down or something.

Also, holding the pick at a slight angle to the strings (so its not completely parallel with them) will help the pick "roll over" the string.
Last edited by black_box at Oct 28, 2007,
use jazz III picks seriousliy it'll help
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
I use lil stubbies, i think they are called. same size and shape as jazz 3's, but made of lexan and a bit slicker so they hang up on strings less.

another thing you can try is making the pick angle to the rear of guitar, so it is not pointing straight down, but a 45 angle or so away from the neck. also try turning it slightly so is not completely parallel to strings.
also helps with what pick your using. Should be a hard mother*********

Also make sure your hitting the strings right on the tipperoo, cheers
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
you need to relax the forearm and keep the movement restricted to the wrists and a little twitch in the fingers when you pick...
Quote by mista cricket

Passive pickups? Are there such a thing as aggressive pickup s?

Quote by guitarman015
What is theory?
Switching to a bigger pick might help. Try Big Stubbys, its what i use and they suit me pretty well.
I think i have the same problem, except i start to automatically pick with my whole arm when the tempo goes fast enough. Any tips how to get rid of that and start picking just with my wrist?