I was just wondering if it's reccomended or not reccomended for electric guitar players to practice on an acooustic guitar. My reasoning is that I find acoustics harder to play since you need to press on the frets harder and also due to the awkward way you have to play them. Does anyone know if this is more effective than practicing on an electric guitar, or if it will better my playing on the electric since you don't have to press as hard on the frets? (My main concern is building finger strength faster.) Thanks.
well, if you are new to playing electric or any kind of guitar it will help with finger muscles, but to be honest after playing some shred exercises you will get the same kind of strain, so yes do practice on an acoustic for the first few months but then remember that things are a little different on an electric and you may find yourself having difficulty adapting back to electric, but anyway short answer is do both
well, finger strength++ is certain (or you could just use fat string on electric)

but you can't really practice omgpinchharmonicwhammybearsqualdowntunedcannibalcorpseriffs on acoustic. There is a different approach to the actual sound.
i played acoustic for 1 year before swapping to electric and it really helped
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
i dont think this actually works. i find if i play one more than the other then i just get used to it and it doesnt help the other. if you want to play electric, then play electric. thats how you'll get used to it. so practice on both. i play with the same size of strings that are used on acoustic for electric (56-12)so i dont have to worry about building hand strength. maybe you should get heavier strings for your electric if you want to build strength.

the problem is that if you get used to the bigger strings whether its on acoustic or electric, you might not want to go back to the lighter strings. i find i cant actually play as well or fast on smaller strings because the action is too low, and there isnt enough tension. it feels wrong. so thats why i dont think acoustic practice will help electric playing much. just get the next guage up perhaps and use that for a while and try going back down to what you have now. if you dont like it then go back up again. thats how i got up to 12's and now im thinking on 13's because my hand strangth has gone up so much.
its whatever man.. i play acoustic all the time. but i also plug in my electric all the time too.

its just you have to know a difference between the two.. i play the acoustic in a post-war blues/60s folk way, and electric in a acid rock/grunge/blues way.

its hard to explain.. or maybe im just real stoned
I stick with one or the other. Songs that need to be played acoustically I practice on the acoutic and electric on the electric. Unless you're a newbie and need to build muscle, practicing on an acoustic might actually be detrimental. But hell, you're your own cat, if it helps you, go for it.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i find i cant actually play as well or fast on smaller strings because the action is too low, and there isnt enough tension. it feels wrong. so thats why i dont think acoustic practice will help electric playing much. just get the next guage up perhaps and use that for a while and try going back down to what you have now. if you dont like it then go back up again. thats how i got up to 12's and now im thinking on 13's because my hand strangth has gone up so much.

It's just a case of setting up your guitar correctly for the string gauge change. All you need to do is alter your intonation and string action... Oh and if you've got a floyd rose: either tighten or loosen the screws to make it lie flat.
It's good practice just for learning songs and moving around the fretboard. Say you don't have a electric guitar nearby, then go for the acoustic and jam out. The only place it starts to hurt is when you try to add style and effects that you'd normally get from an electric. But if you're just playing through the song, it's cool. It helps with your rhythm and "aiming" with the left and right hands.
It would be better to practice with both- just play cleanly when you're on the electric to make sure and don't cover your mistakes up with distortion .etc
i think starting and practicing on an acoustic is probably the best way to go. you can't cover up mistakes on acoustics. the difference between acoustics and electrics is really fairly minimal.