I'm a lefty, and I play a normal right handed guitar. I found it somewhat easier, since I was using my dominant hand onthe fret board, and it didn't take me along at all to get anything down on the guitar (aka good Dexterity). Now my question is for you:
1. do any lefty's out there play the normal right handed guitars?
2. If you play left handed, then how does it feel to be using your dominate hand as the picking hand?

For you righty's out there:

Would you ever think of trying out a left handed guitar, since you would be using your dominant hand as the fretting hand?

Started playing righty on acoustic, never played any left handed guitar but of course tried the acoustic upside down and it felt better so basicly decided to go lefty fulltime and relearn. Found better rhythm and creativity that way.
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
I play both. I used to play just lefty but then switched over.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I tried left handed the other day ,,,,, I found its a real bum, just couldnt get my left wrist to strum ,,, and while that was happening my right hand was trying to strum the fret board,,,,,, serious confusion :s:S:S
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
I'm left handed and I play right handed guitars. No matter how many times I try, left handed guitars seem awkward to me, though I can play them somewhat.
can play both. chords on lefty are much easier. i can get greater dynamics using lefty as the picking hand.
Quote by sajuuk
I tried left handed the other day ,,,,, I found its a real bum, just couldnt get my left wrist to strum ,,, and while that was happening my right hand was trying to strum the fret board,,,,,, serious confusion :s:S:S

Haha xD

Thats happened to me before when I turned my SG over and tried to play a left guitar O.O

totally Catastrophy!
i'm a lefty who plays righty, i knew playing lefty would screw me over when it came to buying guitars, and either way i'd be manipulating my hands from scratch so i saw no real negative side to playing right handed
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
i'm a lefty who plays righty, i knew playing lefty would screw me over when it came to buying guitars, and either way i'd be manipulating my hands from scratch so i saw no real negative side to playing right handed

Exactly!

It's like starting with an advantage!
I'm lefty and play right handed, but it's really weird, because I started playing bass left hand, then switched to guitar and played right handed, for almost no reason.
My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Squier Standard Stratocaster
Marshall G30RCD Amplifier

Originally said by deadhand329
sir...you have given me something to aspire to
I'm right handed for things like writing and throwing, but I'm left handed for things like guitar and batting. I'm fine with being a left handed player, it's just that if I ever want to buy a guitar, there isn't more than 40 different guitars to chose from on Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, or Sam Ash or any other website, and it's usually worse in stores.
Last edited by Choclat Puddin at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Tackleberry
I fixed the lack of guitar problems for lefties. I just build my own.

all well and good if you can, better quality too (maybe ) but my wood working skills are incomprehensibly bad. I can't even spray paint one right lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Well when ever I was following rhythm or dancing and such I would use my left hand, left foot etc. so I found rhythm much easier playing left handed but I'm sure you could get by that barrier easy enough.
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
my dad is a lefty and played right handed for about 20 years of playin, then he switched round and wished he'd been playing left handed all that time
POST FINDER
^Yea I would try both ways and see which way your mind adapts to.
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

Exactly. When I decided to get serious about learning, a friend of mine told me to learn on a right hand guitar so I can play ANYTHING I want vs only left handed guitars
Brotherhood of Vox Group Member #30
'08 Fender American Standard Strat
'07 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honeyburst w/Gibson 498T &490R
'06 Ibanez Artcore Archtop

Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH w/Blue 4x12" Vox Cab
Vox AD30VT
i started playing righty then one day i flipped my guitar over and it felt great
i can see the whole fretting hand on the fret board thing but thats stupid
why dont i see a bunch of right handed people playing lefty guitars
i thought it was about the music you make not the guitar you use to make your music
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
1. I play a lefthanded guitar
2. natural, I've tried righthanded guitars but it felt really weird and unnatural
3. why do you keep on emphasizing the "normal" aspect of righthanded guitars like right and lefthanded guitars differ so much
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
left handedness comes in severity. a severe left handed person would struggle to even fret with there left hand.
you must be only partially left handed.
i reckon you probably use cutlery and play sports right handed?

i find it easier to play left handed because it is easier to watch my non-dominant hand when it frets rather than when it picks.
because you can trust your dominent hand not to pick rubbishly.

left handedness is caused my a defect in the brain which means your dexterity swaps round and sometimes even affects your creative abilities in a good or bad way (this is where the myth that left handed people are good at drawing comes from)
Quote by Black-Metal

left handedness is caused my a defect in the brain

Wtf. It is caused by genetics and from watching and learning from others i.e. left handed parents or siblings
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
i try to alternate pick with my right hand and i miss a lot more compared to my left hand alternate picking
im sure if any of these converted leftys switched they would feel comfortable in about a week or two hell maybe even a day
if you play left handed because your favorite guitar is right handed
then you need to re think why you want to play guitar
not to look cool but to make music
a lot of young people need to get over the "looks"
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
im a righty, and i played leftry a few times....im not going to switch like kurt cobain...i dont have the willingness to lean to play both right and left handed guitars.but if i did, that would be cool
Quote by plankermaxx
Wtf. It is caused by genetics and from watching and learning from others i.e. left handed parents or siblings

it probably has something to do with conditioning
and it is possible to learn to use your non dominant hand
but genetics doont play a part.

"defect" was the wrong word for me to use.
your natural dexterity depends on how your brain is wired
Years ago there was a friend of mine that was lefty. But, he took a righty guitar, and used it like it was one for leftys. This way the strings were upside-down, but he, I don't know how, knew all the chords in an "inverted" way, it was really awsome, he could also use a lefty guitar without problems, really cool xD.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Quote by DreamFactory
I'm a lefty, and I play a normal right handed guitar. I found it somewhat easier, since I was using my dominant hand onthe fret board, and it didn't take me along at all to get anything down on the guitar (aka good Dexterity). Now my question is for you:
1. do any lefty's out there play the normal right handed guitars?
2. If you play left handed, then how does it feel to be using your dominate hand as the picking hand?

Yup

I do absolutely everything else with the left but for some reason guitar just seemed better rightey style.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
I'm left handed but play a right handen guitar, I thought it feelt more comforable.
ew left handed guitar is for the devil
and im left handed!!!
its a really hard switch
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
im a righty, and i played leftry a few times....im not going to switch like kurt cobain...i dont have the willingness to lean to play both right and left handed guitars.but if i did, that would be cool

kurt cobain was left handed anyway.

these conspiracies about him annoy me
I'm a lefty that plays left. I tried a few times playing right, but it never stuck. Most recently, it gave me headaches from trying concentrate too hard. I switched and I could almost completely forget about my left hand, it just does what I want it to do. I'm not a severe lefty either. I can write, throw, mouse, shoot, etc... with my right hand as well as my left. I only lack the fine dexterity from lack of use. I just prefer my left hand for most things. When it comes to multi handed activities, my left just has to do the dominant, fine motor skill, tasks.
Made the greatest mistake of my life by choosing to learn in my natural left hand, which I felt most comfortable with. Glad I did too, although I wish the market for left hand guitars were a bit deeper.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
I'm a righty who plays right-handed guitars. I would probably play left-handed if I was lefty because my fretting hand doesn't generally have a problem keeping up with speed...it's generally the fast picking that I have to work on. So I'm glad my dominant hand does my picking or else I might be even worse off.