Hey all,

Ok I have a bass guitar and I want to try and self learn it.

I dont really know where to start though I have a basic understanding of music (Grade 4 Tuba player), I work in both Treble and Bass clef.

I dont really understand how to read tabs and im not to sure with chords.

If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks
Right, well, basically, tablature shows you what frets to play, in the form of numbers.

so, if the music said A|| 3-3-3-3
You would play the 3rd note on the A string 4 times.

I would really recommend you get a teacher to teach you this stuff.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
tuba to bass would be a good transition. i play almost all brass instruments, and reading bass music helped after tuba. i played guitar, and brass instruments, and from combining those, i was able to apply knowledge, and competently teach myself bass.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Well I dont really have the money to pay for more lessons... Im kind of skint XD

Im just getting confused about the different number on tabs as I dont get... This is going to take along time.
go to the lessons part of UG and go to the bass lessons with "root notes" "basslines" "chords" "12 bar blues" "walking bassline" "major/minor scales"

and do this over and over

G|0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------

play that in 8th notes then work to 16th notes

mix the other strings into this, that will increase your speed and finger strength
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Oo Alias oO
Well I dont really have the money to pay for more lessons... Im kind of skint XD

Im just getting confused about the different number on tabs as I dont get... This is going to take along time.

Which is kinda where a teacher could help, even if it were for just a few lessons.

Ok, I understand that for some people, lessons are not economically feasible. My recommendation is to spend the less than 20 USD and get the Hal Leonard Bass Method Books I - III. Some of the items covered is going to be dead easy for you, but it does include the foundations of good bass playing and book three goes into techniques such as slap. And it covers tabulature as well.
you should try not to use tab to much. Keep using the music reading skills you have. Try to learn what notes coincide with which frets on the bass so that you will be able to apply music theory more easily.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
I agree on the point of getting a teacher. Skint or not, what is $50 or $60 a month? It's really the difference between Kraft Dinner and Wal-Mart brand Melted Cheese Pasta. I personally believe that if you had a job you could pay for lessons but it's up to you.

I also agree on the point of he Hal Leonard Bass Method Book 1-3 Convenient Coiled Edition. It goes from the basics of basics to fairly complex stuff in a few hundred pages, and it goes over everything extensively.
Quote by Oo Alias oO
Hey all,

Ok I have a bass guitar and I want to try and self learn it.

I dont really know where to start though I have a basic understanding of music (Grade 4 Tuba player), I work in both Treble and Bass clef.

I dont really understand how to read tabs and im not to sure with chords.

If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks

I feel for you man--If I was to start playing the bass, I honestly wouldn't know where the hell to start.

With guitars it is fairly easy because there are a lot of websites, books, methods, and other things out there so you can teach yourself everything in an efficient manner, but with bass I have no fricking clue other than an instructor or something and just like you, I can't afford one either.

LOL, the rest of the people who posted in this thread make it sound all easy by saying "oh, just try this thing, and try that, or get lessons".

If you don't have a methodical way of improving and know WHAT to practice to get good and see yourself improving, you are going to be frustrated as hell and probably end up giving up on the instrument.

I really don't know what to say TS.
Quote by ElectricFiend
I feel for you man--If I was to start playing the bass, I honestly wouldn't know where the hell to start.

With guitars it is fairly easy because there are a lot of websites, books, methods, and other things out there so you can teach yourself everything in an efficient manner, but with bass I have no fricking clue other than an instructor or something and just like you, I can't afford one either.

LOL, the rest of the people who posted in this thread make it sound all easy by saying "oh, just try this thing, and try that, or get lessons".

If you don't have a methodical way of improving and know WHAT to practice to get good and see yourself improving, you are going to be frustrated as hell and probably end up giving up on the instrument.

I really don't know what to say TS.

mmmm that didn't help at all.

That out of the way. You should really get a teacher or talk to other bass players so they teach you stuff physically, there is only much we can do. The numbers on the Tablature represent the fret that is to be played. 0 would be the open string without any frets played, 5 would be pressing down the fifth fret of the string. and so on. Hope that helps.
Thanks guys, its funny as you all go on about Wallmart and stuff, I live in the UK

Well to start I think I will just get my fingers getting used to moving up and down the frets in a kind of scale
Pick an easy song....pick a good tab guide and go rom there. 1st song i learned was teenage kicks :-P i think the thing with bass is timing a rythm....i played trombone a long time ago but i couldnt remember anything so i was pretty much starting from scratch instrument wise. When i learned teenage kicks i pretty much locked myself in a room and played along with the track until i could do it with no hassle!!!
Well I found an old book my brother had, it takes you through some notes on the 1st (G & A) and 2nd (D, E & F) strings.

So I have a start =)