Hello all, newbie here. I hope this is the right place to post this. I have an old Greco guitar from the 70's that my dad gave me ( he bought it when he was in high school) and i'm thinking about semi-restoring it and putting some new pickups in it. For being 37 years old it's in great shape except for a few electrical problems but it plays like a dream and that's why i want to fix it up nicely.

So first of all would it be worth the money to fix it? Like i said the only thing i would be doing is swapping the pickups and the toggle switch. I'm pretty sure the body and neck are both mahogany and it has a set neck, les paul shape. As for pickups i want something versatile. Most of my guitars have EMG's and i want to go a different route. I was thinking either Evo's or some kind of duncans. Any thoughts? Sorry if these kind of questions have been asked a million times but i'm new so give me a break :-)
yeah, if it plays great, then it worth a pickup change. you got any pics of it?
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Not at the moment. It's downstairs so i might go snap a couple of pics here in a second.
Ok here's a few pics. If you can't tell, the bridge pickup is sorta glued together haha so it def. needs to be replaced. And the serial number in one of the pictures says I75707 Made in Japan. If anybody has any more information about this guitar that would be awesome.
Attachments:
back11.JPG
greco1.JPG
serial.JPG
Yeah thats nice I think itd be worth fixing up. I hope you realize that your bridge fell off though.... ? Look at the picture "greco1". If i were you i'd give it a paint job though.
Quote by minichibi
Yeah thats nice I think itd be worth fixing up. I hope you realize that your bridge fell off though.... ? Look at the picture "greco1". If i were you i'd give it a paint job though.

Yea the bridge came off when i took off the strings. I dunno if that's supposed to happen or not but it's not biggie. And yea it does need a paint job but i'm gonna try to keep it as original as possible except for the pups.
Is this classed as a Lawsuit Guitar?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Don't refinish it. It will never sound the same again. As for pups: If you can track down some vintage Gibson PAFs, that would be so cool. Also, they do make replicas now, complete with the "Patent Applied For" sticker on the bottom.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Oct 29, 2007,
looks good.. i would buy a toggle switch from guitarfetish.... it will work the best.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by slwdcw69
I'm pretty sure the body and neck are both mahogany and it has a set neck, les paul shape.

Them photos have a picture of a guitar with a bolt-on neck.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Them photos have a picture of a guitar with a bolt-on neck.

lol duh i knew that.i dont know why i said that
Quote by slwdcw69
Yea the bridge came off when i took off the strings. I dunno if that's supposed to happen or not but it's not biggie. And yea it does need a paint job but i'm gonna try to keep it as original as possible except for the pups.

It's a floating bridge, so yeah. it is supposed to come out.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
May I suggest gold hardware? It would look so cool!

Bridge like this:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/labutustgobr.html

Sorry. Brainstorming. I have a les paul copy just like it now, although I'm fixing it up for the purpose of selling it. I would be working on it now, except that the solder on there is so old that it's like... unable to melt. Can't replace the pot.