Well I still suck so bad at bass and can only do "root notes" and can only read tabs because... I have a very sucky 5 string bass guitar and broke apart after a year and it has really horrible frets that cut me once pretty good and has an unbelievably bad action and oh it has nice tuners that stay in tune for months!

Now I need a dependable but cheap 4 string bass so I can start playing again back to the basics and do some nice bass fills, I'm into the punk rock bass lines and also want to learn some "funky" sounding riffs.

I need your help on what good bass I should get that I could actually depend on for about 2-3 years and has to be under 300bucks, sound decent, has a comfortable neck and has a look that could fit the genre I'm at.

THANKS!
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass or TB Bass. The P-Bass looks like Sid Vicious' old-ish one, white with a black pickguard. The TB looks pretty awesome tho.
1)Get out of interent forum
2)Go to music shop
3)Play basses
4)Pick bass

FFS!

Tone, comfort etc are all entirely perceptive. I, to make an example, love the warwick tone and feel, but many other hate one, the other or both.

An internet forum will not find the perfect bass for you on a set of vague genre descriptions. Even then, your perfect funk tone may come from an ESP.

Tone and comfort are differnt for everyone, so get out and actually try before you buy.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I was looking forward to getting a Mike Dirnt Tele-P-Bass at Guitar Center but I haven't seen one there yet, Musician's Friend is my next choice but, I haven't heard it at all.

I tried out the Olympic white P-Bass at Guitar Center and I really like it except for the stock strings and I really think it's the best bid.

Also, does anyone here have tried or heard an OLP Stingray? How does the tone compare to the P-Bass'?
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
I had a lemon OLP Stingray that played horribly, so I won't go on about it's playability, but I will say that the OLP's tone sounded much, much more like a Fender Jazz than a Musicman Stingray. You could get the same single-pup tone out of the OLP, but the 'neck' pickup had much less bottom (since it was at the bridge). The P-bass and the OLP have totally different tones. I would shy away from the TB because that neck humbucker has one sound and one sound only - mud. That tone knob is there for decoration.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by 4pnx
I'm into the punk rock bass lines

fender p bass
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by gm jack
2)Go to music shop
3)Play basses
4)Pick bass

FFS!

Tone, comfort etc are all entirely perceptive. I, to make an example, love the warwick tone and feel, but many other hate one, the other or both.

An internet forum will not find the perfect bass for you on a set of vague genre descriptions. Even then, your perfect funk tone may come from an ESP.

Tone and comfort are differnt for everyone, so get out and actually try before you buy.

Ok--editorial comment /rant here. Gm Jack knows as do several individuals on this forum about the "Urge II" reference in my sig. Take that dollar amount and divide by 5. Guess what? Its amount of threads that have appeared since mid October on the topic "What bass should I buy" by people who can't be bothered to use a damn search / bar engine or go to their local store and actually TRY a bass in their price range.

I love Ibanez and Stingrays and the above mentioned Urge II. This means nothing, except to me. The thought of buying a bass I had to fork over cash (or some parental units cash ) based on a forum suggestion, frankly blows my mind. This is not a popularity contest about what everyone else thinks is "great, but is about finding an instrument that works for YOU!!!

Maybe I'm weird, but if I had a couple of hundred dollars (US), I can think of nothing better than spending a hour or so trying out basses. Yes, sales people / shop owners can be a little off putting to the teenage set. But frankly if you came into them with a budget and a sound / style of music, they are going to show some interest in letting you play a few basses in your price range. Here's a secret--a good shop wants to sell you a bass, so be a good consumer and let them do their work and earn your business. And as I said, its fun, and you can get away from the computer and out into the fresh air. Which frankly, does us all a bit of good.
Last edited by anarkee at Oct 28, 2007,
don't get the pete wentz bass!!! if you ever think about buying one make sure your minds made up. there are plenty of bass guitars out there that are pretty cheap yet has a great tone. try the squier p bass or the jazz bass. ranging from 169-279 dollars i believe.
::type
I know you can get a search bar for about that
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Well, I got a Fender Squier P-Bass for under two hundred... It's not bad, and cheap. Works for me.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Anarkee, you should keep that Urge ][ fund going past the $2000 mark so when n00bs see "There is now $8065 USD in the Urge II fund" they'll chew some serious lock.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
****ing hell tam, you'll have that urgge by christmas, although have you seen the new line of urges they've stopped making the metallic sapphire blue one and replaced it with a kind of baby blue i guess, although there is a metallic red one now which is the sex, and of course theres appleheads black and tort one.

anyway i agree with everything in your post what is with these kids now, they are too damn lazy to go to the store and try out a few basses before they part with their parents hard earned several hundred dollars. These kids should work for their money then they'd be a bit less careless on what they spend it on.

any so dtmt doesn't warn my ass look into ibanez, squier and peavey, you can't really go wrong with them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
go for some ibanez gsr
they are too much for the price IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by anarkee
Ok--editorial comment /rant here. Gm Jack knows as do several individuals on this forum about the "Urge II" reference in my sig. Take that dollar amount and divide by 5. Guess what? Its amount of threads that have appeared since mid October on the topic "What bass should I buy" by people who can't be bothered to use a damn search / bar engine or go to their local store and actually TRY a bass in their price range.

Hmmmm... 190/5 = 38.

Woah! 38 Threads! Daaaamn!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i am going for a thunderbird, however i would reccomend a squire jazz bass.

EDIT:misspelled "jazz" >.<
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
The Fender P-bass is THE punk bass.

Squire Vintage Modified, or you could probably stumble upon a used MIM Fender around that price.
Quote by gm jack
2)Go to music shop
3)Play basses
4)Pick bass

FFS!

Tone and comfort are all entirely subjective, but quality is not. You might love the sound and feel of a bass, but would you buy it if it was built out of shoddy material and was probably going to fall apart or have major issues a few months down the line?

These threads will never truly disappear, and as they go, this guy has at least put more effort into asking his question than "wut bass lol". Chill.

That said, I still agree with the "go away, try some, come back when you have something worth asking" advice.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Nov 2, 2007,