Page 1 of 2
alright so i started on stripping my jackson warrior down and started off trying the paint thinner idea and got nowhere fast...thinking it was just polyurethane coating on it i took a palm sander to it and got this far so far. My idiocy told me i should go down to the wood and maybe stain it... yeah about the wood used in Jackson warriors...

anyways.. this is where im at now and , to be honest, i kind of like the way it looks. Im looking for opinions on whether to just repaint it all or keep this idea and coat it .. but with a satin or glossy coat.

Thoughts?

Added water to give an idea of a gloss look...

Last edited by haywood_306 at Oct 28, 2007,
Looks mighty original.
a clear coat would be fitting IMO
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Dude, keep it like that. That. Looks. KICKASS.
Traynor YCV40
Modded Gibson SG
Gibson CS-356
1973 Fender Bassman
Fulltone OCD
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
That looks pretty sweet. I just want to see a picture of the front before I say "Yes, keep it that way."
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
ill have a picture of the front up tomorrow.. its not quite finished so i didnt bother showing it quite yet. soon though. thanks for the thoughts so far.. but does anyone dislike it? id like other ideas if this goes south.
I'm sorry, that looks horrible. Its over kill to the point it looks like someone gave a 5 yera old sand paper and told them to go crazy. But if you like it, hey thats you. Don't clear it though. It will take the roughness away from it.
that was confusing. im fine with people saying they dont like it but if you dont like it id like suggestions on what to do with it... and why keep the roughness?
added a picture of water to give it a gloss look for those who kind of want the look with gloss.
I have no suggestions on what to do with it as you obviously like it, and thats cool with me. I just think the relic look is a lot nicer without gloss. Putting a gloss finish over it makes it look too factory. Also, I hope you didn't actually put water on it. If you did I hope you mopped it up quick.
yeah i agree with the gloss finish seeming factory style. its not like i poured water on it.. put some on a paper towel.. took a picture.. and soaked it up with paper towels.

so yes.. i actually put water on it.
It looked better without the water.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by haywood_306
yeah i agree with the gloss finish seeming factory style. its not like i poured water on it.. put some on a paper towel.. took a picture.. and soaked it up with paper towels.

so yes.. i actually put water on it.

Just making sure you didn't soak it for some reason
What's that body made of? It looks like particle board...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
ive been asking some of my friends and so far its a 50/50 mix between glossing it and not.. i think im going to leave it this way but as to whether i gloss it or not im unsure of.. unless someone out there has a good idea for it.
yeah its definitely particle board... my respect for jackson.. atleast the warrior series... definitely dropped dramatically. my original intention was to sand it to a raw finish and stain it then coat it.. but yeah not with particle board...bout cried when i saw that
What model is it? Its alder. Its solid. Jackson has never made guitars of particle board (Charvettes don't count). Alder ain't a pretty wood people. Its why you don't see it trans finished. They use even lower quality cuts for clear finishes.

EDIT: Wait, is that a JS. That looks like Indian Cedro to me. Its got a lot of grain filler in it due to the deep grain of it, hence that look. That hit me after I made my post.
the old js30wr

your right its alder.. specs on it say alder so yeah.. your right about it not being a pretty wood.. i mistook it for particle board haha.
Quote by haywood_306
the old js30wr

Indian Cedro then... thats why Jackson uses it on the JS. Its cheap due to its UGLY grain, which needs large amounts of grain filler. Its solid just not of the best wood out there. Could of warned you bro
hrm.. specs say alder.

all i know is its ugly as hell haha..

yeah probably shoulda checked on here first but oh well.
Quote by haywood_306
hrm.. specs say alder.

all i know is its ugly as hell haha..

yeah probably shoulda checked on here first but oh well.

The very first were Alder. I believe it was a first year only deal. The serial number tells what its made of as it can be roughly dated.
its a couple years old. serial starts with a 2005 so im guessing 2005 model. im not sure when they started.. you probably know more about it than i do. all i know is i barely play it so it became my project guitar.
definately don't clear coat it....maybe just shellac it to give it a little protection from sweat
It's a masonite. I made the same discovery when I stripped a Kelly. What Jackson is doing is covering the Alder with Masonite. Now, I don't know if that's done for tonal reasons or not. I believe Danelectro used to make some guitars out of Masonite. It's not so much that the Alder used was ugly and they needed to cover it up. I don't have any pics, but my Kelly grain wasn't too bad. Certainly not to the point that it needed to have Masonite glued to the front and back.

Myself, I took a heat gun to the guitar. This weakened the glue used to attach it and stripped it off both sides. I applied veneer to both sides and will do a sunburst finish.

Quote by mfergel
It's a masonite. I made the same discovery when I stripped a Kelly. What Jackson is doing is covering the Alder with Masonite. Now, I don't know if that's done for tonal reasons or not. I believe Danelectro used to make some guitars out of Masonite. It's not so much that the Alder used was ugly and they needed to cover it up. I don't have any pics, but my Kelly grain wasn't too bad. Certainly not to the point that it needed to have Masonite glued to the front and back.

Myself, I took a heat gun to the guitar. This weakened the glue used to attach it and stripped it off both sides. I applied veneer to both sides and will do a sunburst finish.

Is that a Kelly Performer by chance? Looks it due to the square trem route. The used Poplar on those, and I wouldn't doubt they gave it that treatment as they were cheaper guitars too. The JS went over to Indian Cedro before 2005 btw TS...
Yeah, it's a Performer Kelly. I've also got a Performer Randy Rhodes style V. I'm sure that's going to be the same way.
hello everyone.

mfergel.. good call didnt think about that.

as for everyone else i finished up the sanding and such today and ended up doing a satin coat on it as i didnt feel like masking off the headstock so this way as far as matching purposes go it'll fit better.. also with the pickups.. ill assemble the guitar soon and take final pics. like it or not its done.
The alder on my Squier looks pretty sweet imo <: o
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by haywood_306
done unless some amazing ideas arise.

Actually ended up looking pretty nice. I like the tung oil. Should of taken a lighter and made some burns on it
funny you say that... i debated taking a heat gun to it and leaving some burn marks in areas.. i can still do it ill just have to strip the finish off.. the longest part is done.
Quote by CJRocker
Actually ended up looking pretty nice. I like the tung oil. Should of taken a lighter and made some burns on it

I was about to suggest that to. I did it to a squire that had a layer of veneer and it came out with to different burn colours....very cool. if it would let me I would post a pic
Quote by mfergel

I think fender might do the same. I stripped my malmsteen strat only to find what looked like fibreglass under the paint. It took me days to sand it all back to the alder now it looks like jake e lees in the "last time" video
Quote by haywood_306
funny you say that... i debated taking a heat gun to it and leaving some burn marks in areas.. i can still do it ill just have to strip the finish off.. the longest part is done.

no, don't burn it. It looks awesome the way it is.
Once you get something right, don't screw around with it, just leave it
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

Quote by amazing FretMan
i ripped part of my foreskin off...oh well

Member #9 of the iPods Suck Balls Club, PM Oblivious16037 to join.

My UG Profile
thanks EVH. its weird now to play it.. since the neck is a lot heavier and all.. not balanced in any way although it sounds a lot hotter now like something helped with the sound.. could be grinding away on the body but id ont think that'd do that much to it. im not sure. i like it though.
Last edited by haywood_306 at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by sytharnia1560
I think fender might do the same. I stripped my malmsteen strat only to find what looked like fibreglass under the paint. It took me days to sand it all back to the alder now it looks like jake e lees in the "last time" video

Wierd that Fender woud do that. I know the Squier's use some very thick sealer. It was a bit over 1/16th of an inch thick. It's almost like a plastic. I stripped a Squier '51 using a heat gun. Thick as heck and the fumes caused by heating it up was very toxic. Do it outside if you plan on doing the same.
Quote by mfergel
Wierd that Fender woud do that. I know the Squier's use some very thick sealer. It was a bit over 1/16th of an inch thick. It's almost like a plastic. I stripped a Squier '51 using a heat gun. Thick as heck and the fumes caused by heating it up was very toxic. Do it outside if you plan on doing the same.

yeah when I sanded the malmsteen it smelt like I was sanding a surfboard, not very cool at all. i guess they do it to help get a smooth gloss finish without haveing to put 1000 layers of paint like jackson and esp use to
Quote by haywood_306
thanks EVH. its weird now to play it.. since the neck is a lot heavier and all.. not balanced in any way although it sounds a lot hotter now like something helped with the sound.. could be grinding away on the body but id ont think that'd do that much to it. im not sure. i like it though.

to improve the balance try moving the strap thingy (where the strap hooks on...can't remember what there called ) to a new position or add a small weight to your strap at the bottom by your hip. usually works a treat
Page 1 of 2