So, I just sat down and started playing. I don't think I've ever sucked so bad in my life. And we've all been here...when we set the guitar down after a few minutes and say "Oh, I'm done, screw this." And we have no explanation for how bad we're sucking.

But we've also had those days where we sit down and WAIL. We're so in the zone that we totally dominate anything that we've played before, and can pull out licks that we couldn't the day before.

Since I haven't fine-tuned my experience so far, and there are so many of you on these forums who have the experience with being "in the zone," what do you have to do to make yourself get warmed up right? I've heard of blowdryers, soaking hands in hot water, etc...

What are your strategies?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Have a threesome first.

...or just stretch out your fingers .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Soaking your hands in hot water is prolly the best, since it relaxes the muscles. Dont have the water too hott though!

I dont know any other way, though having a good day can affect it. The more positive you are, the better you'll play prolly.

Theres my 2 cents!
After experiencing some symptoms of tendonitis, I stretch every morning and before I play for at least two minutes. Luckily for me, my mom's a registered massage therapist and will probably save my career in the long run.

Beyond that, I like to warm up by running a few scales (usually A minor pentatonic and E phrygian) before I dive into whatever it is I wanted to play.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
Listen to some good tunes before you play to get you excited. Also, always warm up with something fast and energetic like a solo.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I watch Led Zeppelin play How Many More Times off the Led Zeppelin DVD. I always play better after that.
Quote by DreamFactory
The more positive you are, the better you'll play prolly.

Not true. I play the best when I'm REALLY pissed off at something. It fuels my palying. Makes it harder, faster, better... stronger? Daft Punk anyone? Then again, any strong emotion can fuel my playing. If I'm happy I tend to play lighter and softer, and only do that melodic, epic, major-scale shredding, if I feel like shredding. If I'm down about something, obviously I'll play more minor chords, and I tend to play with a little more soul and feeling and articulateness. If I'm pissed, like I said. I play harder, faster, and heavier. If I'm just having a normal, boring day, I tend to kind of suck.

Sorry, a little off topic there.

As for warming up, I stretch my fingers out a lot. Then I go through a few exercises, especially speedy ones that involve a lot of pinky work. I haven't tried that hot water method. Does it really make a difference?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
If ive just been outside, i like to wash my hands in hot water, warm them up a little bit, then sometimes stretch my fingers a little( i forget sometimes), then i run through some scales, and start my playing.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
bring some hot groupies to your band practices. you wont want to suck with them watching, and the possibility of getting laid after a tremedous performance does wonder for motivation.
I smoke an enormous bowl of chronic before playing. Does wonders for your tone.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2